Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
US
State
NY
Hello, apologies if this had been covered before. i searched the forum and only saw one discussion on the topic, which was locked.

I am interested if anyone else has a serious comorbid condition(s). How have you dealt with overlapping symptoms and differing treatments? Did you focus on one aspect at a time, or did you deal with it more broadly? I guess my biggest concern/question is how do you know what is a side effect of one treatment or a symptom of a different issue?

For example, I am diagnosed with the following: Fibromyalgia, Bipolar ii, Anxiety, Hypertension, Migraines & Cluster Headaches, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Sleep Apnea, Hyposomnia, and Anemia. I take anywhere from 5 to 8 medications every day depending upon my symptoms.

It feels like a lot, and I have to assume that some of the medication meant to treat one thing may contribute side-effects and exasperate something else that might not have been as big of an issue on it's own. I always bring a full list of my conditions and medications to each doctor so they have the full picture, but I wonder if they give much thought to these potential overlaps and interactions.

Would love to hear if other people have similar concerns and if you have any suggestions on dealing with multiple diagnoses, multiple doctors, and/or multiple medications. Thanks!

I think it's different from all perspectives. My heart goes out to you. Don't give up, try and keep a diary, and get copies from each Dr. Visit. My recent frustration was getting another diagnoses, and not to encouraging. All I can think to do is....keep track. Which is hard for a foggy brain.

Hi PazzyRay. I have a multiple diagnosis as well-many the same as yoursand others. Since I try to limit the medications, I see my primary doc (internist) who monitors all my prescriptions from psych meds to B12 injections. I choose the doc because she is in a practice that includes a physchiatrist and pharmacist, and she is as keen as I am about diet, supplements and other avenues beside more medications. When I was diagnosed, I was in a similar type practice and I think that helped me find a good mix efficiently. If you get all your meds at one pharmacy (a really good idea)' your pharmacist can help as well.
I used to stress about what diagnosis was rearing its ugly head during flares, etc. Now I just go with the flow. Keeping a diary does help you and your doc figure out what might need to be tweaked or added. I've tried to keep any meds on as low a dose as I can stand so I'll have someplace to go if the symptoms escalate or become intolerable.
Good luck, take care and hugs.

Hi Moe1959 and Loftpat - thanks so much for your thoughts and support. I greatly appreciate it. I have been reading that a journal/pain diary can be helpful, but it feels like an overwhelming task. I think I need to scale back (I have a tendency to make small projects big and big projects huge) and simplify to make it manageable. Thank you again for the help and camaraderie.

i have major depressive disorder as the ruller of all my other ailments. i relate. what has helped me is to have paper and pen available everywhere i spend the most time. like my coffee table and bed side table. no excuse you cant do it if its right in front of you. for simular reasons i went through months of logging what i ate, slept, activity, pain... i made a generic calander and tried to fill it in as the day went on or did it all at the end of the day. it was hard to keep it simple some days if there was alot going on. i had to tell myself it's not a journal, its a log. keep it short simple. i understnd the overwhelming you feel. see if there is a portion of the task you can tolerate and maybe if you continue you will be able too see its not so bad. i also feel that if something bothers you enough you will do what is needed to get relief. so, whats worse, the side effects or the overwhelming feeling and hiding from that.

you could always ask your pharmasist his opinion too. if there is something specific causing you discomfort and your not sure if its a side effect, and your doc is not seeming to understand, maybe its not the right doc for you.

as my reynoyds of flairing and i cant type much more, thats just my 2 cents.

Webmd pain coach helps me alot with tracking pain and keeping focused. Good luck... Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back