Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
Northern ireland
Hello all, just joined and I have a question you could help me with...
Can anyone tell me if fibromyalgia is hereditary? Or does anyone have any experiences of this they could share? I'd be very grateful :?

My mother (who is 99) is diagnosed, I am diagnosed, & my daughter also has a diagnosis. I think my brother also has fibro, he doesn't think so. He just thinks it's part of getting older. Our ages are 99, 69 (brother), 57, & 23.

Each of us is affected differently & to varying degrees of severity. I'm affected the most, then my brother, then Mom, & then my daughter.

Lorna

As a young boy, I was adopted and had no contact with my fathers family until his death. At that time I met an elderly Aunt. At that time i had been diagnosed 5-7 years earlier. She has all of the same symptoms that I have been experiencing for those years. Neither of us had influenced the other as we hadn't known each other. I now help support her by managing her bills, shopping etc. I am just much more aware of what she is experiencing than the others. Two separate cases, mirroring each other.

I personally know of no family members who also suffer from fibro, so in my case, it seems not to be hereditary. It would make sense if it was though.

I also think it has a lot to do with personalities. I have always been a very sensitive person, the most sensitive person in our extended family. For years, I tried to find another family member who could maybe relate to my extreme sensitivity, but they seem to be all fine. I am sensitive to everything - worldly affairs, state of the planet, everyday human problems, everyday mundane issues, sounds, noises, light, touch, feelings....therefore I think I got burnt out early in life and my body reflects this now back to me in weird pains/aches and lots of exhaustion.

Its in my family...one parent...maybe an Uncle who was always unwell with pain and stomach issues but got labelled as hypochondriac but became very disabled. My grandmother was also diagnosed with rheumatism the name 50 / 60 years ago for fibro.

my father has it and also my younger brother I think there is a hereditary link most likely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back