Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
Kentucky
Has anyone been on Elavil? It's my first night and I'm praying I don't have a rough morning because I have a very busy day tomorrow. Could you share your experiences please

I have used it on and off for years and it suits me well.
Just remember when you first start it to take it 12 hours before you want to wake up. Once you get used to your dose it won't matter so much. I even split my dose in two, taking one part at seven in the evening and the other as I get into bed. That way it doesn't zonk me out so hard and I'm able to get up for work in the morning

I will certainly be following your advice! I took it too close to bedtime and now I can barely keep my eyes open.

I'm on Elavil and have had very good results. I have very few absolutely awful days now.

It gave me a horrible rash on my back..... No benifit either... Just felt like I was a drone..

I used Elavil, many years ago and it helped me relax so I could get to sleep. Be sure to take it close to bedtime, as if you take it earlier in the evening the effect could wear off before you go to bed. I did not have any side affects from it although, after using it for several years the effect seemed to not last or work as good over taking it for a long time. I would say try it and see if it works for you.

katie-opny, I would say you are allergic to the Elavil. I hope you told your doctor about the side affect that the medication caused you, so that he does not prescribe some drug that is chemically related to it by mistake. :)

You mean Amitriptyline? I used it some years ago, back in 2008, I think. I took it right after my ex broke up with me. I gained a LOT weight on it... 76 pounds to be exact. I lost all the weight in the last 2 years tho. I didn't like it at all. It made me feel extremely drowsy, getting up in the morning was really hard. I used sometimes casually just to treat my insomnia. Not anymore tho, I didn't like what it did to my stomach... I dislike that medication so much, almost as much as I dislike the liquid version of clonazepam! Yikes!

It helped ease the muscle pain for me, but even on the lowest dose, taken early before bed, it still made me so drowsy that I was falling asleep every day at my desk. Not OK for trying to keep my job, so I stopped taking it. The pain came back, but at least I could stay awake at work.

I have to say I'm not a fan of this medicine at all! I can't deal with the groggy feeling I wake up with. It's only been a few days and I really hope it doesn't take me long to adjust but so far I haven't had any pain relief. I saw my doctor on Thursday and she said I could try mobic instead. I'm still debating on going from one to another so quickly and wonder if I should give elavil a bit longer before deciding it's not for me. I'm sorry that so many have had a bad experience with it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back