What is the Best Over the Counter Pain Medication that You Have Used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerin49

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
US
State
Oregon
What is the best over the counter pain medicine that you have used? I have always used Advil for my pains and aches, but recently a friend told me about Aleve which is a little bit stronger than Advil. One Advil has only 200 mg of Ibuprofen, while one Aleve has 220 mg. of it. I don't know if there is really a difference between the two, I think that most of those over the counter type NSAIDS are pretty much the same. I wish I could find something that would work but that would not be so hard on my Acid Reflux.

NSAIDs don't work much for fibro pain because usually the pain isn't caused by inflammation. I've stopped taking them and when I do feel I need them what I take is generic ibuprofen from Walmart.

I have always used Advil for my pains and aches, but recently a friend told me about Aleve which is a little bit stronger than Advil. One Advil has only 200 mg of Ibuprofen, while one Aleve has 220 mg. of it. I don't know if there is really a difference between the two

Actually yes, there is a huge difference. Advil is Ibuprofen and Aleve is Naproxen. Two very different medications.

200mg of ibuprofen cannot be compared to 220mg of Naproxen.

To answer your question, I've taken both Aleve and generic Ibuprofen depending on the issue, but never ever at the same time because they are different NSAIDs and shouldn't be mixed.

I haven't tried a lot of things for fibro specifically, but what I have been given is Flexiril and I have foudn it helpful. It's a muscle relaxant. Mostly it helps me get better sleep during a flare up. Combined with heat and ice and other therapies, I have found it to be quite effective. Of course, this is something that you will need a prescription for.

I never knew that Aleve was Naproxen, I thought that it was Ibuprofen too. Thank you for letting me know the difference between the two. The Advil works pretty well for me, but I may look into Aleve and see if it works any better.

Im interested in what topical creams work best. Im ready to try one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back