Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
UK
State
Northumberland
I am posting at this time in the morning because I am too angry to sleep!:mad: A colleague of mine has been making derogatory remarks about what I can and cant do at work because of my Fibro. Saying things like 'dont ask her to pick up an empty box, she'll cry' or 'I bet she doesn't come into work on her night shift coz of her back' etc. Also there are some managers making me work on stations I cant, even though I have a doctors note. Does anybody know what I can do to stop this? Thank you in advance xx

So sorry you are having to put up with such jerks. If you have a Doctors note saying you can't do curtain things, then they can not go against your notes and put you on that job. I had the same thing at work, I got note after note. Keep up with the notes and don't let them push you around. They can't go against your Doctor legally. Your co workers can't harass you because you have a illness. Do you have a union?

Hiya, no we haven't got a union, the company would just dismiss you if you did. I've gotten another note but it's costing me £20+ a time. I'm thinking of putting a formal complaint in about the colleagues making remarks and things just don't know what to do about the managers xx

Not sure how this works in the UK, but in the US we have something called eeoc - equal employment opportunity commission.
If research equal opportunity employment if I were you and see what their procedures are, most likely you'll have to file complaints with your employer first and see what happens, but if it keeps up you may have a course of action if you have something similar to eeoc in your country.
Hope this helps!

Hi, from an employers perspective I suggest you do the followings:
A) inform your first line manager. The person just above you. Do not complain , but tell the person that remarks from certain people are hampering n your morale at work. Before that I hope you have already informed him/ her of your illness and also how much you are enjoying your job inspite of your disadvantage. Keep a clear line of communication in any case all the time. I hope your supervisor wasn't the one making these statements, else you have to do B as below.
B) do you have an HR department? Inform someone there about the incidents and also if your first line manager doesn't offer help. You may want to be shifted to another department.
C) confront the people who accuse you. Yoga teaches me not to fight but to love and go on. Ofcourse I understand you'll hate these people who make such statements, but don't listen to them. Make it a joke. Smile , but be firm.
Hope this helps.
Do not quit. I did that for two dream jobs I had and it tough getting on top of the ladder back again.
Love.
BombayMum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back