Not open for further replies.

BamaNewb

Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
Alabama
So...after years of misdiagnosis and being treated like a drug seeker I was finally diagnosed with Fibro. I am a male and thought my pains were due to sports injuries, and a very bad auto accident. I get epidurals every 3 months and take hydrocodone x3 daily for a pair of slipped discs and sciatica also,gaba for Fibro. My weight pre-accident was 175lb I got up to 265lb. After exercising, dieting, and kayaking all summer I am down to 220lbs.
I still have major problems doing the simplest things like cleaning the house chores etc... My skin is always cold/itchy feeling and get cold sweats. As well, whenever I am not active I have to constantly stretch my legs and arms because my knees and elbows are "uncomfortable". I also, have some gaba related symptoms but that's for another day.
Are these symptoms common and if so any suggestions to ease these symptoms would be greatly appreciated.

I can relate to the itchy skin feeling... Except mine hurts for the dumbest reasons, ie: fabric, a light touch, etc can cause pain for me.... It's part of fibro, it's called Allodynia. Not sure if you have it or not, only a Dr can say, but research it. If you might maybe have it, things like changing fabrics (sheets, clothes, etc) can make a difference....
I was in two horrible car accidents, which is why I've got fibro and disc problems, and nerve problems, and a separated actually joint, and other issues.... I feel your pain! It's not fun, that's for sure! Take care of yourself, and try not to over do it!
As for the cold sweats, check into medication side effects, do you get it every night? If not every night, do you take your medications on time for every dosage? It could be that if you, for example, feel semi okay and don't take the hydrocodone for a day or two, maybe might be a sort or withdrawal symptom?.....
An idea, might be, to keep a pain/symptom journal, and keep track of times you take the meds, activities, etc... Maybe you'll find a common link.
Good luck!

Apparently, my Fibro came from the car accident as well (trauma induced?)
Funny you say that about the withdrawals because it actuals feels similar. The itching/irritable skin feeling general starts when cleaning the house, chores or exercise. As I'm sure you know this makes it that much harder to be productive. When I give in to the desire to avoid that feeling I get the stretching problem because in inactive. The journal is a good idea...my doctor recommended but I thought it was so don't forgot symptoms. The real reason I to find triggers...I get it now lol. Thank you for the advice and I ll ask about allodynia in my next appt.

No problem lol that's what's great about this forum, we can all try to help each other.
Good luck! Hope you're having more good days than bad! :)

Hi Bama I'm another dude in the same boat and wonder if contact sports played a roll plus a car accident, manual labor. Check in often and let us know how you are.

I've been reading a lot of posts and have learned a great deal. Wasn't sure how this diagnosis would affect my life. I'm really glad I found this forum. I will definitely check in often as I have lots to learn.

Hi Bama,
I sympathize and empathize with your skin/sweating issues. Have you had your thyroid checked? I have hypothyroidism and when it's out of whack, it can cause increased fatigue, dry sensitive skin, sweating (particularly night sweats) and hair shedding. Just a suggestion if you haven't thought about it, might want to ask your Dr. Hope your days are better soon!

My skin is always cold/itchy feeling and get cold sweats.

Have you seen an endocrinologist before? It sounds like you could be suffering from thyroid issues. Do you have very cold feet and hands? If so, then you should really get your thyroid checked. Cold feet and hands can be a symptom of an under active thyroid. The itchy skin is also suspicious! Is your skin dry?

Apparently, my Fibro came from the car accident as well (trauma induced?)
Funny you say that about the withdrawals because it actuals feels similar. The itching/irritable skin feeling general starts when cleaning the house, chores or exercise. As I'm sure you know this makes it that much harder to be productive. When I give in to the desire to avoid that feeling I get the stretching problem because in inactive. The journal is a good idea...my doctor recommended but I thought it was so don't forgot symptoms. The real reason I to find triggers...I get it now lol. Thank you for the advice and I ll ask about allodynia in my next appt.

Your itchy skin sounds like your capillaries opening up, under your skin. I experience the same feelings when going from a warm environment to a cooler environment, and vice versa. Hydrocodone can also give you the itches when taking it several times a day.

Hey guys. I'm thinking the thyroid is a good point. I do have cold spots on my hands particular outer 2 fingers as well cold/needling feet. Also, have dry/itchy spots under my forearm by elbow. Their are small numbs there but not visible really. Last year or so have also starting getting dandruff and itchy scalp. Never had any of these problems until last year. I'm very tired/sore everyday I'm not depressed actually am highly motivated person. Another issue is have a stuffy nose/ sinuses and watering eyes.
Damn...now that list all this I feel like a hypochondriac lol. I know this stuff is physical and not in my head or due to hydrocodone as I've been taking it for a long time and haven't changed dosage

Just a quick thought, you said you get itchy skin and such when cleaning and doing other household chores. You might be allergic to some of your cleaning products or even dust. Try to pay attention to just what your doing or using when your skin starts to itch, and you might discover what you need to avoid doing or using. :)

I agree with 1Sweed. Alot of us have some allergy issues as well. Just exposure to alot of dust can make my skin itchy, and my face and neck turn red as a beet! Have you got an appointment yet to get your thyroid checked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back