Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi All,

41 year old, otherwise healthy Mom of 2.

I noticed in February that my energy was really low. I also noticed that walking from my car to the office (3 minute walk) was hard as my arms and legs felt like lead. I am a runner and running is such a challenge because of the muscle aches and fatigue.

Doctor did blood tests and everything came back normal.

After the blood work Doctor was thinking I had chronic fatigue.

I've been on Cipralex for years. Doctor added Wellbutrin about a month ago to see if it helped with the fatigue. No change. My muscle are always achy, not debilitating pain like I would have expected.

A week ago I was in Doctor's office and she said that she thinks I have fibromyalgia. She determine this because of the trigger spots on my hips and below + the other symptoms that she is thinking it is now fibromyalgia.

Also a week ago, I ran an okay 10k race, then another 5k two days later. What was interesting about the 10k was that the first 3k were BRUTAL. The rest of the race was pretty good.

When I told my doctor about this, now she is really stumped because she wouldn't have thought I could do this with fibromyalgia.

Would love your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

Greetings,

Glad to read this because I too can run, bike, weight train and yet my legs burn and feel too week to climb stairs in my house. Standing is brutal as well. There are times, such as a flare, that I can be bed bound, while other times I can work out like an athlete. For instance, these past 3 weeks I've run 50k, biked over a 100k, row on the rowing machine, squat 100squats on a bosu ball etc. I'm training for a 5 and 10k this summer. With Fibro and CF who knows if I will attain it. I know I hurt but, I'd rather hurt and keep active than sit and hurt. I've read up on running/training for those with FM and CF, and we are not the only ones who can do this. My husband scratches his head because he sees how sick I can be, yet I biked a 15k trail 2 days ago. He knows I'm not faking lol. I think we are examples of how some, not all, can still keep active. I'm not fast with my running as I used to be but I'm thrilled I can still manage to challenge myself. What I do truly appreciate is the positive endorphins that exersize releases. Mentally and emotionally I do much better when I move. I'm not a youngster. I'm 59 turning 60 end of August. Ive always led an active life with a fairly healthy diet. I don't smoke, enjoy a bevy once and awhile.

I've lived with Fibro for almost 27 years. I work as a Paramedic which is a high stress, physical job.

So, you may very well have FM and still keep active. I do. Others do. I was very pleased to read that those with CF can still run as I was just recently diagnosed with it. Training requires a different approach. Keep running, enjoy, and congrats on your 10k. If your time is slower don't worry. You challenged yourself and won!!! High five!!

Last edited:
Greetings,

Glad to read this because I too can run, bike, weight train and yet my legs burn and feel too week to climb stairs in my house. Standing is brutal as well. There are times, such as a flare, that I can be bed bound, and ither times I can work out like an athlete. For instance, these past 3 weeks I've run 50k, biked over a 100k, row on the rowing machine, squat 100squats on a bosu ball etc. I'm training for a 5 and 10k this summer. With Fibro and CF who knows if I will attain it. I know I hurt but, I'd rather hurt and keep active than sit and hurt. I've read up on running/training for those with FM and CF, and we are not the only ones who can do this. My husband scratches his head because he sees how sick I can be, yet I biked a 15k trail 2 days ago. He knows I'm not faking lol. I think we are examples of how some, not all, can still keep active. I'm not fast with my running as I used to be but I'm thrilled I can still manage to challenge myself. What I do truly appreciate is the positive endorphins that exersize releases. Mentally and emotionally I do much better when I move. I'm not a youngster. I'm 59 turning 60 end of August. Ive always led an active life with a fairly healthy diet. I don't smoke, enjoy a bevy once and awhile.

So, you may very well have FM and still keep active. I do. Others do. I was very pleased to read that those with CF can still run as I was just recently diagnosed with it. Training requires a different approach. Keep running, enjoy, and congrats on your 10k. If your time is slower don't worry. You challenged yourself and won!!! High five!!

What's with the inability to delete a double post???? Argh!!!

wow is all i can say! Just shows how differently fibro affects everyone. Congrats and a little envy from me as i have been housebound for 2 years....no amount of pushing can get me more than up and down my garden path...but i think keep exercising and keeping fit as you do and can will mean you most likely will only ever get flares..not permanent disability.

Keep up the good work..lol medicmurphy i think you can do more than i ever could pre fibro! hugs

Diamond, I know my Fibro is not as severe as others. That said, I deal with pain, nausea, migraines, fatigue etc everyday, not only with flares. Weather is a huge component on how I'm impacted. Now that summer is here I hopefully will feel a tad better thus helping me to achieve a stronger level of fitness. I have just clawed myself out of a long hideous flare. I have to work really really hard. Especially with mental fortitude. Because I can only achieve one goal a day, the fitness goal is the winner at this time. Currently my house needs a cleaning but I can't accomplish that along with a 5k run. I admit I'm not a balanced person. After months stuck in the house, a lot of it in bed, I'm choosing to be outside for the mental health benefits.

I retired from my job a few years back because of the inability to keep working, the Fibro took its toll.

It's not fair that some with Fibro and/or CF can function while others are incompacitated. There is no doubt these conditions rob each and everyone of us in some fashion.

It is important to see and acknowledge that fibro is different for everyone, and that it comes with many severity levels. Not to mention the length and strength of flares!

I could not imagine doing any kind of run even for a minute, yet, I can clean the house whole day (with lots of breaks) on a very good day. Or when I am also motivated and mentally very happy/energized, it feels like I can take on the world. But when it comes to taking action, I notice only then that fibro is all over my body, that pain/fatigue kicks in. Or I can mentally feel like I can't do anything, but then I push on and can get lots done.

And of course there are there are days, for all of us here, where nothing works, everything aches, basic stuff take enormous effort.

So if I were you, I'd keep an open mind and monitor your health really well. Could it be a food intolerance, hormone imbalance etc. that is causing these occasional bouts of fatigue? and your pain levels? what/when things hurt. Keeping a diary can be helpful. It could also be that the medication (Cipralex) has been helping you a lot and that they have been 'masking' the symptoms of fibro for many years.

Just suggestions:

All my fibromyalgia or so called fibro was because of my gut. I learned that I had a parasite/ candida infection. My pcp did nothing to get this diagnosis. I had to find Dr., herbalist and then colon therapy to figure it out but really I could have just gone to my colon therapist to figure it out. It's very common and yet Dr.'s deny unless traveling outside US. I don't know if u do? But onset fatigue and pain without explanation most of the time is because of digestive system.

Site that changed my world: realfoodrebel.com
Read her story it may sound familiar.
I hope this helps and I hope you get answers. Sending love and light

I am SO glad I clicked on this thread. I am also very physically active and very much enjoy it. I'm only 40. But things were hurting for a looooong time. I chalked it up to over-training, tendonitis, impingement, etc.

This gives me a lot of hope that I can still maintain a healthy active lifestyle while managing occasional flares. Hopefully all the meds I'm on will tamp some of the regular day-to-day pain issues (headaches, muscle cramps, muscle twitches, etc). I was feeling very doomed by my diagnosis.

This makes me feel optimistic. So thank you for sharing!!

I was first diagnosed with lupus after a positive blood test after a second blood test the dr said no it's not lupus but fibromyalgia. I was sick for so long on so many different medications and only one really did anything but only for part of the day. After going through many doctors, many medication and much paid I tried something all natural on my own. It's called LIMU. Once I started getting many nutrients my body needed I started feeling better. My paid is almost totally gone. I still have flair ups but nothing even close to how it was. Since February I have not taken one medication. Idk if this is something that may help u but it did me. If your interested in trying it out you can email me for more information. Good luck to you! Good job on keeping active!

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but not convinced because i dont have the hip trigger points of fibro, so I just got my ANA tested. I will see what it yields. I think its silly doctors will test again and based on a second test say "oh no not lupus this time" since your flare up could be over by then and thus no longer a positive

get a second opinion

When I was first got diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I didnt know much about it and thought for sure it was imaginary or my doctor was trash diagnosed me. I was very active however I have very bad sleep problem like insomnia, sleep disturbances, uncontrollably change in sleep pattern ( always different time zone of sleeping), beside other illnesses . I do get sharp tender points pains when being touch at the fibro spots but I was bouncing off the wall beside looking a bit sleepy. My doctors didn't believe me that I was active do to my lack of sleep . But since I also get panic attack almost everyday it was quite difficult to sit still. Plus I was a workaholic so a thought of having fibro didn't occur to me that it is a fearsome decease to begin with do to all my history of illness that I had long experiences of different kind of pains to begin with I thought what could be worse?. I was so wrong cause only in just a year later everything changed . The restless legs started to get very intense , fibro fog escalated to slurring speech till I can hardly speak, deep buzzing nerve like earthquake under me 24/7 really making me nervous and sent my mental mind to completely chaos after when my mind went to shock all the pains just storming in causing constantly flare up. That was just the start of the trips to hell. So I think variety of different levels , types or degree of fibromyalgia pains or even timing could actually contribute to the factor . You might have just what you have forever or for now depend on what future holds , or your doctor could also be wrong. It's good to get second opinion I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back