Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi everyone I just have a question. My adult sons are leaving home to go to collage and university in september. I have heard about parents going through empty nest syndrome. Does anyone have any experience with this or advise on what to expect.

Hi Lana. While I suspect it is somewhat different for everyone, here's my story. I felt an enormous sense of loss for about a month until my son and I established a routine of contact. I sat in his room and cried a couple times. Once we got that contact established, it was much easier. I guess I realized he wasn't disappearing, he was moving on to the next chapter in his life. And I moved on in mine by taking college courses, changing jobs, and ultimately moving across the country for a job at a university.
I think it's a bit like grief; you go through stages. Also, while my son and I were very close, he was never the "whole" of my life. So, look at it as an opportunity. You have spent years teaching your sons how to be in this world; sit back and delight in them becoming fully independent.
Pat

Hi and yes, we'll both my sons work away and my daughter spends half her time with her dad , so a lot of time I'm alone what did I do lol I had another . Ok so her brothers 18 16 and DD 14. But I can't work with this illness so for me she is a blessing ,but you can start a hobbie. Maybe drawing painting Sewing knitting, healing groups spiritual groups baking.You can try anything u fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back