Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
None
Has anybody on this site had to go before an ALJ. If so did you make an attempt to do your hair and makeup (if you are female) or did you just roll out of bed, throw on some clothes and go to your hearing. On days where I don't have anywhere to go I don't even bother getting out of my pajamas because it is almost a two hour process for me to shower, blow dry and curl my hair, put on my make up and get dressed. I don't want the judge thinking that I am being disrespectful of the process by not putting my best foot forward but on the other hand I don't want him thinking I am in such great shape that I can go through the trouble of getting all glammed up to go to court.

Another question. Has anyone ever been denied by the ALJ, refiled and won or is it a matter of if the judge says "no" that's the end of it?

As my court date draws closer (Nov.10th) I am plagued with all kinds of questions.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

When I went to my meeting,I didn't do anything with my hair,just pulled back.no makeup.no nothing.i also wore my gloves for a better grip on my sticks.
I walked slowly,but then I bloody hurt that day anyway.you have to try to show them ,that on most days this is how you live.your not lieing.your showing what's life like for you.

Has anybody on this site had to go before an ALJ. If so did you make an attempt to do your hair and makeup (if you are female) or did you just roll out of bed, throw on some clothes and go to your hearing.

Hi Krista,

First of all, be honest with yourself. What do you wear when you normally go out?
Secondly, be respectful of the court.

I suggest you dress comfortably, clean and neat. No need for Sunday Best, but don't purposely slum-out, either unless your illness/condition prevents you from dressing yourself.

For my ALJ hearing I wore a simple dark slacks, and matching dark color top. Slip-on comfy shoes. I took a shower before the hearing, and dried and combed my hair.

I would also suggest that you refrain from getting a fancy hair-do, or wearing a lot of make-up, jewelry, accessories. No extra skin/cleavage, too.

You should also discuss this question with your attorney. He/she may know if your particular judge is a stickler for that sort of thing.

Another question. Has anyone ever been denied by the ALJ, refiled and won or is it a matter of if the judge says "no" that's the end of it?

Yes, there are courses of action should you be denied, BUT let's not even go there. :) No sense we waste time and energy on what may or may not happen. I suggest that you concentrate on the present and now.

Take care and be good to yourself. :)

I would agree with the above...if you make a huge effort it will look like you can do this easily and regularly.....you need to show how your illness affects you and your visual impression will be the first thing the judge sees. I wouldn't over style your hair or wear make up or heels or overly smart clothes...not rags of course just something clean tidy soft and comfortable.

Also when communicating don't be overly chatty as i know you suffer with depression too and in the UK they judge your ability to hold eye contact and if you are too easy going and talkative tend to judge that you are not depressed.

WE all know this is wrong and that like normal people we push our selves to put our best foot forward....I would suggest this is the one occasion that putting on an act is not the thing to do!

Of course be polite and respectful...but i would suggest a quiet demeanor and taking anything that helps SHOW how your illness affects you...a stick...cushions...etc if these are things you normally take with you on a bad day....you need to let them see how you are on a bad day not pretending as if its a better day.

Good Luck Krista.

i would suggest a quiet demeanor and taking anything that helps SHOW how your illness affects you...a stick...cushions...etc if these are things you normally take with you on a bad day....you need to let them see how you are on a bad day not pretending as if its a better day.

Krista, do you use a mobility device (cane, stick, walker)? If you do, hopefully your doctors have documented your need for one, and better yet, have prescribed its usage. Double check your SS case file to make sure that it includes that info. I've heard of some SS hearing cases where the judge felt that a claimant was exaggerating when the claimant came to the hearing using a cane, yet her medical records did not reflect a need for using one.

As I suggested earlier, just be honest. Don't do/say anything that might be construed as exaggerating. You'll do fine! Take care! :)

My lawyer told me to dress "casually, clean and neat". No tank tops, faded jeans, or shorts.

I suggest nice slacks and blouse. Footwear, whatever you can tolerate and is comfortable. My hearing was in an a/c room and I get cold fast. I wish I had brought a light sweater or jacket.

Yes, be careful that whatever you say or do is truthful and not exaggerated. Credibility is of utmost important in your testimony.

Peace! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back