Not open for further replies.

Raine

Diagnosis
09/2012
Country
UK
State
UK
Hi all I am relatively new to all this. I was only diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia in September of last year 2012. Even though I had been taking the medication for the past 3 years whilst undergoing test after test. I find it very difficult to get people to understand about having Fibromyalgia because its a hidden disease and people cannot see that doing the most simple things to them is in fact very painful for sufferers to do. I am sure I will think of more to say to on the subject at another time. As this is my first post I am keeping it brief lol

That is the one thing of people not understanding and the biggest issue with having Fibromyalgia. I have had it for over 15 years, and still people say to be how well I look or why can't you get a job. And the jobs they recommend would have me standing on my feet for hours as a clerk or a waitness hauling heavy trays. Even a door greeter stands on their feet for most of the day or evening. When I explain why I can not do this they give me looks like I am lying or lazy, or avoiding supporting myself. One lady from a town near by brags about how she has Fibro, and she works a full day, so if she can do it why can't I. I do not think it affects her badly yet, plus she is a heavy drinker and that can make you forget the pain as long as the booze holds out. Anyways, I do a lot of praying over this issue as it breaks my heart when friends and family think I am faking an illness. Most of us here are dealing with it and will give you more tips on handling the pain of others not believing you are sick.

I was just diagnosed last week, and I still am embarrassed about saying I have Fibromyalgia... way too much stigma attached. It's funny, because when other people say they have it. I totally support them and understand. I believe them. Dunno why it's different for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back