Not open for further replies.

bgregoire

Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
North Dakota
Hello, I am Ben and I have been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia in November. I have been not feeling well since July of this year and after my diagnosis I hope to finally find a way to start feeling better.

a few symptoms I have are

leg pain and fatigue, my legs feel like I just ran 10 miles or just getting done with a set of squats.
General fatigue
Temulousness, my body feels like it shaking all of the time. you can see my hands shake and my teeth chatter
Eye pain, I am extremely sensitive to light and my eyes feel tired all of the time
sore and stiff joints
brain fog

What is strange is that I use to run marathons and half marathons and cycle a lot. It all started after a 100 mile cycling event where I made it 60 miles and then had to drop out do to the wind. After that ride I have not recovered at all. Now I have a hard time walking up the stairs and it is such a big contrast to what I was use to doing.

I was diagnosed with Fibro in Nov, the Doctor wanted me to start getting back into some physical activity, sleep better and start seeing a therapist to help cope with the pain. These things seem pretty simple when I write them down but getting to the gym and sleeping better has been a little bit of a struggle so far.

Anyways I thought I would introduce myself and I look forward to talking with you all.

Ben

Last edited:
Hi Ben,

Just want to welcome you to the forum. It is a great place to come for support.

Ben,
Welcome to the forum. You will find this forum to be a very supportive place to visit. There are several other members who are men so you won't feel stuck with a bunch of women. lol Please take time to read through the posts in the different topic sections and be sure to read the back posts as well. I am sure you will find some new coping skills and ideas on getting better sleep, as well as, managing the fatigue.

We even have a spot to moan and groan, when your day is going south and you just need to scream about it. Then down below in the off topic section you will have some fun ways to share with others. Feel free to post wherever you want and ask questions or just share your opinions around the forum.

Hope you have a good day! :)

Have you been able to see a therapist yet? Pain is a very real and dangerous beast. It is not easy to live through pain day to day. If those of us in pain don't learn new copping skills we can easily fall in to depression. I think one of the best things I am doing is addressing my emotional and mental needs. It is so difficult to do that while trying to accept being less active than before.

My first appointment is tomorrow

:lol:Hi Ben. I know the feeling I used to do martial arts, but now sometimes it's all I can do to go to work. Good luck with your appointment.

So I had my appointment, and as we were talking she was talking that my pain is actually a physical manifestation of stress and anxiety and that's how she plans on helping me. I was pretty frustrated as it didn't really seem like she new what fibromyalgia was and she needed to just treat my anxiety and stress and I would be just fine. Should I continue with seeing her or should I find someone else?

Ben.
Anxiety and stress do play a big role in fibro, but I would be frustrated too if my doctor brushed things off like as if it was all mental. I think I would give her another chance, but be sure to voice your concerns about fibro in hopes that she was just trying to calm your fears. If she does not listen the next time around may be you need to find a male doctor who understands the symptoms and problems your facing with fibro. Best of luck and hope the second time is the charm. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back