Status
Not open for further replies.
we are all nervous about the meds we take. your not alone there. if you read the med guide that comes with the meds. there is a statement that says
Your doctor prescribed this med because he felt that the benefits out weigh the risks. you need to really think about that. you need to come to terms that you have FM and you can do something or not do something with meds. the more stress you have the more pain you have. these folks can tell you what they have chosen and the side effects they experience. like Forget said we all experience meds differently. our meds are all designed for something other than fibro. like hydo is not DESIGNED for fibro pain or headaches. if it works for you then take it to make life a little better. they will say Lyrica is designed for Fibro, but it the same meds designed for seizures. as your mom works with pharmacists she can find out everything before you decide. make informed decisions.

we are here for you and we do understand you. please feel free to msg any of us here when you need too talk.
ranting/venting is a really good release too.

Btoppe, I'm sure you are stressed and anxious about all of this new information. Just take each day as it comes. Get educated with your physician and try the suggested meds he/she provides. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.... ;-) Seriously, you won't know if you have any of the side effects until you try the med out.

I had one med my neurologist wanted me to try for my migraines. It was called topomax. That is the ONLY med so far that I have had serious side effects. I've read others on this forum that use it. I'm pretty tolerant about most meds, but this one scared the crap out of me because when it took affect, I couldn't function. I couldn't think of words. I was like incapacitated. I was at work and we were having a region meeting. I was the region manager on the capital side and had come to talk about the projects in the region. As the morning went on, I started getting nervous. I would look at the pencil and couldn't come up with the word. I could hardly remember my name. I was in a remote area of the state so had no cel service. I ended up having to bow out of my presentation. It was horrible. That said.....Again, it apparently works well for others. So.....Knowledge is power. Read and learn about the illness. Just don't overwhelm yourself.

I was first prescribed hydro for severe back/kidney pain, now I have a drug patch and just use the hydro for breakthrough pain. The first time I took it My eyes rolled around and my brain was spinning! I swore I'd never take it again...by the 3rd time those sensations went away. I was desperate for the relief and I got it. I now rarely use it as other treatments have helped my back so much...and I changed my lifestyle. I no longer lift 100#hay bales and 80# feed sacks. :) (I guess now that I turned 60 last week, grandma can give up that program!)

My migraines are not helped with the hydro. I have to use something else for that as they have become so severe. I've used it for many years and it never fails to help.

I guess I'm trying to say, there is no sense in fearing drugs if you need them. I HATE that I'm tied to them, but that is reality. Like Forgetmenot wrote, if I don't live as long on them, so what, cause living with such horrendous pain is not living!

Ruralchick, I'm so glad you are able to control your pain. I'm not that lucky yet. They are still trying to figure out what I can use for my migraines. Because of my heart attack, I can't use the traditional migraine medicine. I would love to try the patch.

Hi Btoppe,

I currently take Oxycodone 10mg and it helps me for about 4 hours at a time. I try really hard to only take it one to two times a day to keep the tolerance to a minimum. But I thank god cause I don't know what I would do without it. I went many many years with nothing that helped. Hope you are doing ok and find some relief soon.

Lynds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back