Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
US
State
Utah
I've been off the forum for the past 4 days because my brother was in a terrible motorcycle accident. Several times this past 4 days I have asked myself how I am still going so strong and why is my pain limited.

I stood next to his bed in the emergency room for maybe 2 hours while the plastic surgeon did a bunch of work on his face. We were waiting for them to take him to surgery to basically reconstruct his lower leg which was almost torn off in the accident. Usually I can't stand for 10 minutes without the backache starting.

I was at the hospital until 2 the next day with no sleep for about 33 hours by the time I was able to rest my head. 5 hour nap then spent the night in his ICU room with nurses coming in and out constantly to check on him and I was on high alert and only dozed lightly all night.

I can't explain where the strength came from. Very limited pain. Unusual stamina for me.

The only thing I can think of is the adrenaline. I had no pain meds for almost 24 hours as I ran out of the house to the hospital before taking anything and didn't have any with me.

The next few days were busy, but mostly sitting in his room, so limited fatigue and pain. I'm a good sitter. Maybe that can be my next career :)

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does adrenalin affect the serotonin or whatever?

I was the same...for many years if i had a sudden big stress my pain all but went and i would have lots of energy for the first 24/48 hours....after that for me usually then pain and exhaustion come....and i would take a few days for my kind of normal to return.

Sadly too much ongoing stress for months for me has changed that pattern to more severe pain and fatigue that i cant shift. I am glad you are a good sitter!

I think a sudden flood of adrenaline supercharges our brains or whatever has gone wrong and temporarily makes us more normal.

So SORRY FOR YOUR BROTHER. SCARY.D
MAYBE ADENALIN IS IT.
I DONT KNOW A GOOD BUNGIE CORD JUMPING SPOT, JUMP OUT OF AIRPLANE?
roller coaster ride?
I THINK WE ALL NEED SOME R N R, AT DISNEYLAND. :) sending well wishes and speedy recovery.

HA HA if only that was truly how it worked and we could have some 'normal' fun. Yes from me too speedy recovery for your brother.

Ah i forgot to say sometimes if i cry which is rare but revs up your central nervous system i e floods me with adrenaline the pain in my jaw and face temporarily goes then when i stop it seizes up worse then ever....we are like machines where it has all gone haywire! So the moral is don't cry either!

Moe1959 I'm ready to pack my bags! Disneyland it is!

My brother is doing pretty good and may get out of the hospital tomorrow or Friday. Interesting to note that he was in "a lot" of pain and asking for pain meds at a level 4. Made me feel super tough that day! Level 4, easy smeazy! That's the norm for me. I guess 2 days after a horrible wreck he might have a different understanding of a level 10 than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back