Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2016
Country
UK
State
Hampshire
Hello, I'm 15 and after a lot of arguments with doctors and hospitals I finally got a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. I'm having a real problem walking distances such as shopping due to the severe pain in my legs. My doctor suggested that I might need a wheelchair to help me have that bit of independence back as at the moment my mum bless her has to hold on to me and walk at a snails pace. Does anyone else use a wheelchair from time to time?

I have severe problems with walking too Nicole and i guess i could use a wheelchair but also have upper body pain and in my bottom so sitting in a wheelchair and being bumped about would be too painful for me.....even in the car i have a single duvet (comforter) padding out the seat all over to make it ok for me to sit and lean against.

When i first had fibro my left leg which has always been weaker and stirred up more pain in the joints and muscles very quickly with any activity meant my partner once pushed me round a animal park when we were on holiday so that i could still have a day out that would have been too much walking for me.

I have to say i didn't much like the feeling of visual disability but then what's more important....pride or finding a way to live life and be part of outings and activities.

You are very young to have this illness ...I am so sorry...maybe it is worth considering to keep you independent..

Good Luck on your fibro journey x

I am 34 and have to use a cane when I go out anywhere to walk. If I go somewhere that has the electric scooter carts, like Walmart, I use those because walking is painful for any distance. Even with the cane, my hand starts hurting too, so I can understand the need for using a wheelchair for distances. Just keep in mind that sitting in the wheelchair may also cause some pain, but it may be worth it to continue the activities you want to do. I hope you find a good solution that works for you.

Oh my 15 my heart goes out to you. I was diagnosed with fibro the first time when I was in my early 20's it was a mild case and so it did not effect my life much. But then I was diagnosed in my late 40's. This time it seems to be making up for lost time. I also had a serious accident that put my fibro off the charts according to my Dr`s. I have to use a scooter to get around outside of my house. I chose the scooter over a wheelchair because with the scooter you have more freedom instead of someone pushing you around. Anything that you need in order for you to be able to go out and be in the world. I cannot walk very well any more but with my scooter I am out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back