Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2016
Country
US
State
NY
Hi, folks. I'm new to this forum and new to my fibro diagnosis. I have been seeing a pain doc due to pack pain. Over the years I have had pain in my hips that is actually worse than the back pain - I can't lie on either side because of the hip pain and I can't lie on my back because of back pain. And I can't lie on my front because of boobs.

She thought the hip pain was bursitis, and when it didn't respond to meds she gave me shots, and that didn't help at all, either. Given that, and the fact that much of my body feels like it's permanently bruised if you touch me, she has diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. So she wanted to prescribe some medicine, but I'm already on anti-depressives and she wouldn't prescribe them without talking to my psychiatrist. Problem is that I don't have a psychiatrist right now - the one I had stopped taking my insurance and I've been resisting finding a new one since my GP will renew my meds.

The strange thing to me is that I actually have very high pain tolerance. My pain doctor confirmed it. So my pain may not be as bad as other people's pain and I come from a family where I"m not supposed to complain. I'm actually crying as I write this because I'm so frustrated. I'm sure many of you have gone through this. For me, it's not enough pain to debilitate me. But the fact is that I'm lucky in that I work from home and sit all day in a La Z Boy chair in a kind of zero-gravity position and I don't do much, so during the day the pain is kept in check. It affects me most at night when it is so hard to get comfortable that it sometimes drives me bonkers.

Due to my herniated disk I have pain when I stand around, so I avoid standing in line or going to cocktail-type parties where everyone stands around.

I'm just rambling now. I think the thing i'm having the hardest time with is finding a doctor. I don't want to have to see 5 different doctors. I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroid, non-allergic rhinitis (I sneeze 365 if I don't take zyrtec and singulair every day and even then I still often do spend the whole day sneezing), depression, the herniated disk, and now the fibromyalgia. I'm feeling exhausted and fuzzy-headed far too often, and I'm starting to worry that it will effect my job performance. Oh, and I do have a very intense, demanding full-time job and I'm the mother of a teenager. I really don't have time to go to this doctor and that doctor, inevitably walking away feeling like they're not really helping me.

So is it possible to find a doctor to handle all of these or even a few of them so that i don't have to traipse all over? If not, how do I go about finding a doctor who is good at treating fibromyalgia? I read the FAQ's here about that and it wasn't very helpful, I'm afraid. I'm imagining myself going through a series of doctors, like I had to do with my non-allergic rhinitic and with my hypothyroid, before I find a good one, and I just don't have the time or energy to do that right now.

sadly, many doctors do not know much about fibro. Anywhere you go, you will become frustrated because they just don't know enough about it. We've all been there, haven't we? We see 50 doctors and maybe one or two of those will understand fibro. Good luck to you.

Will your GP treat your Fibro? Or the Pain Dr? The pain Dr can be a good choice. Some have found a Rheumatologist helpful. My family Dr is my choice. She understands me and Fibro well.

Hiya. Welcome to the forum. I agree, it's very difficult to find a good doctor who knows much about fibro. I waited ages to see a rheumatologist and ages again for my follow-up only to see a doctor who said no one really knows much about fibro & sent me on my way. I was so angry and felt so let down but had to just walk away because I could feel my eyes filling up with tears and didn't want to end up crying in the clinic. I was still mad the next day so I contacted my rheumatologists secretary and I received a letter from him yesterday apologising and he said he would send me another appointment soon to see him and not his assistant. I'm rambling a bit now lol but I know how you're feeling, I feel like I'm battling constantly at the moment, trying to get a definite diagnosis, I have issues with bullying at work and my husband isn't being very supportive right now, it can be a very lonely illness. It's very hard to believe sometimes too when you feel like you're having a good day. I hope you manage to find a good doctor, I live in the U.K. So can't really comment on finding a doctor in the US. Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Lou38-So sorry to hear they dissapointed and saddened you! Sometimes you have to be 5 steps ahead of the doctor and/or treat yourself! Having said that, I personally have found more luck with staying up on a healthy diet, drenching myself in lavendar oil, taking inflammation reducing supplements and lots of epsom salt baths! It's all about taking care of yourself. It's tough, but it can be done without those dumb doctors. =) in any case, good luck to you, Lou38 and thanks for your input!

Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the forum.I know it's frustrating to have to see so many different physicians,and sit and wait in the office, when we are in pain.
Sometimes we can feel like nobody cares or khows what we go thru.
Everybody here understands that experience!

Many of us have been to multiple drs.But once u build a repor with one, u might be able to ask them to order most of the medications,

I recently saw my pain dr, who referred me to an internal medicine Dr, and now she is ordering all my medications
You have to talk to the drs and see if they will order your anitidepressants and thyroid meds and Fibromyalgia meds etc all together.
The only problem would be the pain medication.
If it is it is a narcotic. Some drs aren't licensed to dispense them and they need to be monitored, so that might have to be a different dr.

Moving around is good for fibromyalgia, even though we don't feel like it.
I would make sure you get out of your recliner at least every 1/2 to one hour to stretch and walk.
You will just get stiffer and experience more pain.

Hip pain is very common in Fibro. I had it severe for 2 years, and suddenly disappeared. I use to toss and turn in bed, like u.

It's a moving disease lol, it likes to travel all over our bodies. It's not funny but we have to laugh sometimes and stay positive, because it's a hard illness to live with.

Mental fortitude is important.Just keep pushing,stay positive and you'll be able to handle all the ups and downs of Fibromyalgia.

Good luck

Sagey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back