DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi all,

As with any new diagnosis, you start to wonder if all kind of other things are related.
There are a few symptoms I've noticed that may or may not be related to Fibro (or Celiac) but wanted to ask about:

1. rapid weight loss:
I've lost 10lb since March! This is a good thing, since I'd gained about 10 over the last year or so, but it did kind of happen overnight. My vitamin levels are good, so don't think it's malabsorption (Celiac related), and I have been eating a bit less/differently the past while, but no more exercise than usual other than when I was on vacation last month. If it keeps going down I might start to get worried (and my pants might start falling down). I've read that weight gain is more common with Fibro due to less activity and drug side effects, but did anyone suddenly loose weight?

2. weird rash on face:
I think I've had this for a while, but only really paid attention recently: My nose and cheeks have a faint but noticeable red rash, like burst blood vessels. It isn't itchy. It isn't peeling. My skin is a bit dryer than usual, but not unmanageable. I don't think it's a sunburn except maybe the end of my nose. I wear 30SPF foundation every day. It's mostly on my nose and cheeks, but a few bits on my forehead.
Of course, the dangers of reading up on Fibro is it leads you to reading about similar conditions like Lupus. While I highly doubt it's a lupus rash, it's not distict enough to tell. (I don't have any of the other symptoms and my ANA was a weak positive, so highly doubt it). Maybe a bit of rosacea? Or just bad complexion.

3. pain in right leg:
One of my more consistent pains has been deep in my right thigh. First I thought it was just a pulled muscle, but I don't feel any tenderness. Then I clued in: OH! So that's where your sciatic nerve is. I don't think it's sciatica per se, but it does make sense that a disease that affects your nerves and muscles would affect one of the biggest nerves. In any case, it comes and goes, tends to get worse when I sit for long periods. Sciatica? or just more fibro pain? It will be painful when the rest of me is ok.

Anyway, that's a handful of things that could be fibro related but probably are just random. Not everything is always connected.
(a note that I'm on 60mg Cymbalta. Not sure if any of these are side effects)

Thanks for any answers/advice!

Fibro comes with so many complaints...it actually annoys me quite a lot because when someone has IBS, they have IBS. When I have IBS, it is a part of fibro. Same with migraines, same with Raynaud's disease, same with sleep disorders....I have like 12 different separate illnesses, but my doctor told me each time that it is all 'fibro'. The last time I went to her with new complaints, she just didn't even order any tests/do a check-up, just straight up blamed my fibro. It is not fair, and in my opinion, wrong of a doctor to do that.

But back to your complaints. I can only relate to the second one; I have also been having red bumps and rash like skin on my cheeks for the past year. My mom has rosacea, so it could easilt be that. I recently started using her special face creams. See whether they help, otherwise, I might go to a doctor about it as well (Like you, I also thought about lupus, since my ANA test was also once a positive. I haven't had one done in years though)

I would be worried about the weight loss most though. Like you said, like many of us, I also gained weight since my diagnosis. It could be due to those tiny changes you made in your life, but if you continue to lose weight with no real change in your lifestyle, I'd see a doctor about it.

all the best!

The skin does sound like rosacea i think it comes along with some fibro people....i have sensitive skin and have to take extra care of it as its prone to flushing and doesnt like sun..so i stay out of high heat and direct sunlights..avoid caffeine and spicy foods.

My legs both hurt every day but your does sound maybe like sciatica....ask your doctor as maybe its a separate condition...not fibro at all.

Thanks guys,

For years, I blamed most random symptoms on Celiac. IBS symptoms? blame it on the gluten, or one of my other many food intolerances. Muscle pain? probably that too... Now I'll have to figure out if a problem is Celiac related, Fibro related, or something completely different.

I'm not too worried about the rash. No bumps or itchiness. My skin has never been perfect. Will check it out if it gets worse. Same with the weight loss. If it keeps going down then I'll get worried. I might be able to fit back into some of my clothes though.

I will mention the pain in my leg to my doctor when I see her next. It could be a bit of sciatic pain on top of the fibro, or just another symptom. My partner has sciatica, which flares up from time to time, so that's how I know its probably my sciatic nerve. It is a bit distinct from my other muscle pain in that it feels like a burning cord in the middle of my leg. Oddly enough it's my other leg that often has muscle spasms (restless). Weird pains all over the place. Par for the course, I guess.

Oh! New random symptom to add to the list:

4. Essential tremor:
my left hand has been shaking a lot lately. Not all the time, but it's often noticeable when I'm eating or writing or something. My arm feels a bit weak and weird too. Yet another fibro symptom, even if I don't have pain at the time? Or could it be early onset of an essential tremor? It runs in my family. I'm only 33 so a little soon for it to be showing up but maybe the fibro is bringing it on early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back