Interstitial Cystitis(painful bladder syndrome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEAJAYFIBRO

Diagnosis
01/1999
Country
NZ
State
SOUTH OTAGO
hello

So have just been to Doctor today and he suspects I may have this:

Interstitial Cystitis(painful bladder syndrome) or

an overactive bladder.

Was just wondering if anybody else has this or other similar bladder problems? I continually feel like I need to pee even though I don't and there is no infection. Are these kind of problems common among us Fibro and IBS people?
I have been given medication to try for now and will have more tests done in future. However I never seem to have much luck when it comes to medications and generally have some kind of reaction to medications. Does anyone have any good alternative suggestions to keeping a healthy bladder. I drink 1-2 litres of water everyday and very low salt diet. (my hubby has a kidney issue).

OMG I have had IC for years and just recently found out that it is related to FM. I also have IBS. Both are terrible; especially if you work. I would definitely agree with keeping away from the salt. Also, caffeine is a HUGE aggravation. I had info from my urologist, but I can't find it now. However, you can search IC and there are several websites with lots of info on foods that aggravate the condition. Unfortunately nothing totally relieves it. I have had ALL of the uncomfortable tests to try. I just wear poise pads every day and try to keep my diet clean. :-/

I have had this condition for years. When I first was diagnosised my doctor recommanded that I get a book called "You Don't Have To Live With Cystitis" by Larrian Gillespie, M.D.
This book breaks down the reasons for IC, and the foods you should avoid to make the condition easier to manage. I was glad I had bought the book and read it. It might be out of print but can be found by doing a web search or at used book stores. Some library's may have it as well. It is worth finding and putting the information to use. :)

I have IBS and I've definitely noticed that it affects my bladder as well. In fact, that's part of the reason I quit my day job and started working from home -- my employer was docking my pay for time in the bathroom, which just was not kosher. I'll look for that book to see if I can find some relief.

I have had bladder issues for years also, way before Fibro diagnosis. My urologist runs a multitude of tests every 6 months. Cranberry juice is good for keeping the bladder flushed out, I use it in my smoothie instead of OJ. Also use poise when going out, just in case.

If you have Interstitial Cystitis which is inflamation in the lining of your bladder wall, is a different problem than overactive bladder. Not to say that the two can not exist together. IC is not a bladder infection, but is very painful and sitting for any length of time can make it hurt more. If you have this condition you should avoid acid juices like orange juice and cranberry juice, and tomato juice, as the acid content can cause an increase in the inflamation.
Some people with normal bladders can use cranberry juice to help prevent urinary infections, but those of us with IC best avoid it. Other types of foods can make matters worse like cheese and chocolate, oranges and grapefruit. The book I mentioned tells about all these things in great detail and makes it easy to understand. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back