Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
Well, I have been going to the gym the last few weeks and walking two miles+...trying to tone up and maybe lose a pound...I like the endorphin high I get but not do much the feeling of petrified all over muscle ache I get several hours later..I take two advil or sometimes half a pain pill to get through the 50 minutes I am walking..also I am starting Savella tonight..doc switched me to it to see if I could function better since I have to go back to work..the thought of going back to work makes me crazy..all the "what ifs" come to mind..what if I cannot handle it and the pain is worse...will I be a bag lady pushing a grocery cart, etc. :)

I think that it's great that you can exercise JK, if you can do the stuff you want and avoid the pain I think it's for the best. Sure, you have the condition, but living a normal life is also a way to beat it.

Well had to stop the savella...gave me a sick headache..I have been a couch potato today and yesterday ...did too much tuesday...walked 2 miles and washed car...so sad..keep comparing myself to what I did before fibro.

Yeah, it's a bummer trying to me the old me...as it is for you. Pacing yourself is so important. Sorry the meds didn't take. I had headache and nausea for the first couple weeks when I started Cymbalta, but then it went away. I've slowly worked back up to walking a mile over the past year, along with yoga and stretching. It's not a 20 mile hike or a 50 mile bike ride, but at least I feel like I relatively fit. Would like to lose the rest of the weight I gained with meds, but at least I'm maintaining. Hang in there and don't beat yourself up.

Yea hey any exercise is good exercise and walking is probably the best. I prefer to walk out side but treadmill gives you a nice pace or you can set your own.

Yep, I agree because if we start feeling tired or with pain we can always reduce the rhythm or even stop, so the treadmill is a good option if you ask me.

I have actually never used a treadmill. But I would love to own one. I think that while walking is good the chill of winter can sometimes making muscle pains worse. I would love to have the ability to exercise indoors with this sort of equipment. I actually find that doing intense weight lifting before hadn (only say 10-15 reps) makes it a lot easier for me to do exercises like walking and sprinting.

That's my case too Hedonologist, I never used a treadmill and to be honest I think it's better to walk on our own, but considering the disease and rainy days I think it's a great option.

I usually start the day with my sweats on and go for a brisk walk or light jog with the dog. Getting the blood flowing loosens up the joints. I then go home and pop a advil or 2 to help alleviate the pain before going to work.

Well done you!, Its great that you can still manage to exercise as it can only benefit your general well being. My sister in law who has fibro,can only go swimming as she finds it the only exercise she can tolerate now due to the pain she suffers if she attempts more strenuous exercises.

We should try to keep our life as normal as possible an exercising is certainly a part of a healthy life so the treadmill is a great option.

Hi..just wanted to comment on using the treadmill...I love walking outside...the problem is the heat and humidity of an Orlando summer make it not such a great idea..tends to make fibro symptoms worse(at least for me)...planet fitness has tons of treadmills each with cable tv..so you can watch and listen if you want to or listen to your ipod...there is a HUGE fan overhead that keeps the nice cool air moving which I enjoy...I love that place because it is just regular people of all ages and sizes..the tee shirt people..no body builder show offs or glam girls.

I agree that walking outside is much better, but if you're on the treadmill you can control your effort better no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back