Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
US
State
AL
I'm at a stuck point with doctors for the moment. My neurologist that diagnosed the fibro doesn't actually treat it and my primary doctor refused to do anything for me, including focusing me a referral to a rheumatologist as well as just being rude. I managed to leave his office without going to jail for assault, but I really wanted to deck him so I won't go back. My insurance is renewing right now, so I'm having to wait on changing my primary doctor before I go to a new one (though I found one that comes with great recommendations). Meanwhile, I'm trying to deal with everything on my own the best I can. I also have degenerative disc disease with severe weakness and pain through my legs (whether it's from fibro, ddd, or both nobody has said), so I do have an epidural block set up next week to see if that will help with some of the pain.

For the last 3 months, I have been very limited because my leg starts to give out after I've been up for an hour or so. I can't take a shower without somebody sitting with me in case my leg tries to give out because I've nearly fallen more than once. I can't cook or clean the way I used to. I can't work because of my new limits. Due to the pain being up and active causes, I spend a large portion of time in bed with nothing to do except watch TV or play on my phone. It sucks, but I've been trying to fight through the depression I'm feeling because my daughter still needs me, my son is visiting soon for Christmas, and my boyfriend does everything he can to help and make me happy. I was fighting a migraine today, so I slept a lot later than normal. When I got up, I got on a game on my phone that I've enjoyed playing the last couple weeks. Well, I quickly saw that my city in the game had been attacked. All my troops and resources were gone. In order to rebuild, I needed troops to gather resources and resources to train troops, a catch 22. This normally wouldn't bother me, but I broke down in tears. My boyfriend asked me what was wrong and if I was okay because he couldn't believe I was crying over a game. I explained to him that game is everything I've done in the last few weeks...I can't clean, cook, or work. I can't do anything outside of sit around and play games on my phone. The tears had nothing to do with the game directly, I just finally couldn't fight the depression anymore. He understood it and is being supportive, but that doesn't make it go away. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to combat the depression before it consumes me?

It's really discouraging to lose all your progress like that. :( I would feel upset too!

When I'm down and having a flare, I find it helps to play Duolingo on my phone. It's a language learning game, so I can feel a little bit of accomplishment beyond in-game achievements. I studied German in school, but had forgotten most of it. Now I can kind of read German newspaper articles. They have lots of languages to choose from, so you can probably find one that interests you.

If you have companionable people around, there are some really good card games out there right now. Some of the ones we like are Smash Up, Dominion, Killer Bunnies, Munchkin and Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Watching shows where real people are doing interesting things while being genuinely positive and supportive of each other can really help my mood. Two shows I can think of are American Ninja, and Pen & Teller's Fool Us.

Mild exercise (walking or swimming or stationary bike) really helps me with both the physical and the mental symptoms. Even if you can only do a little bit, it helps.

It can help to get outside and experience nature for a bit. If you can't walk, maybe if someone can take you for a drive it might help.

Listening to music can be great too. If you have a music streaming service, you can distract yourself by building play lists and finding new music that you like.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you, I hadn't thought about a game like that where I can put my brain to use. My intelligence has always been one of my strong suits, so that could be really helpful for me as well as sharing it with my daughter to build my bond with her as well. I love music and listen to a lot of it when I have the chance. I find music used to help me sort through emotions when I would write out lyrics to songs that related to what I was dealing with, so maybe I need to get back to doing that too. I got an epidural block that hopefully will help with some of my pain today, so hopefully I can enjoy getting outside and being a little more active. Thank you for the tips, I'll definitely out some of them to use. Thank you again.

Is it depression? Or are you sad? Personally I feel the medical cummunity likes to tag "depression", to what ails us. (I say )Im sad "today," and thats ok, it will pass. Im not a Dr. So I sure can't guess a diagnosis, but....I can share my testimony. Ive been put on countless pills sence 2012 to treat me for pain, other than opiots. All of which had terrible side effects. I was told I was in pain because of depression, hellllo! Excuse me but......Im in sad, because( Im in pain. )Give me something for pain that works! (And ill guarintee you I wont be sad. )

I like to do word searches, and something else I recently got into that helps relaxes me is adult coloring books. You might enjoy crosswords or sudoku. Something mentally stimulating to take your mind off everything that's bothering you. That helps me. Candy crush is another good one if you don't get frustrated easily.

I have struggled with depression a few times in my life, and it has started coming back up since I had to quit working and my physical limits got so restrictive so quickly, so I know it is likely actual depression, but I'm hoping when I get my doctor issue straightened out that I can get in with a counselor that can help me work through the issues causing my depression. I don't like taking medication for depression because I've always been able to work through it workout pills before, so I'm hoping to do the same again.
I love sudoku and coloring, but any kind of writing type activity kills my hands before long due to carpal tunnel. Even playing on my phone causes pain after a little while, but puzzle apps and other things that put my brain to use seem to be helping recently. In the next year or so, I'll have even more to use my mind on because I'm recently engaged so now I have a wedding to start planning too! Thank you all for the encouragement and suggestions.

Is it depression? Or are you sad? Personally I feel the medical cummunity likes to tag "depression", to what ails us. (I say )Im sad "today," and thats ok, it will pass. Im not a Dr. So I sure can't guess a diagnosis, but....I can share my testimony. Ive been put on countless pills sence 2012 to treat me for pain, other than opiots. All of which had terrible side effects. I was told I was in pain because of depression, hellllo! Excuse me but......Im in sad, because( Im in pain. )Give me something for pain that works! (And ill guarintee you I wont be sad. )

Hear, hear.
To be told that the Problem is that you are depressed, when in fact you may be depressed, but it is because you are in pain, not the other way around, is horribly discouraging. It also makes me very angry. When someone says that to me I wish I could give them my pain for just one week and then ask them what kind of mood they are in!

Try gabapentin (cheap prescription) for pain and Eylisium Basis (Internet) for energy and general cell health. Really helped me. Get a cat. Very peaceful and loving companion.

Get a cat. Very peaceful and loving companion.

LOL!! Clearly you have not met my cat!!
Don't misunderstand me, I love him dearly, and I knew what I was getting into with him when I adopted him at 6 weeks of age. Even then his wild and mischevious personality was clear. Cats are absolutely wonderful companions, and I recommend them. But not all of them are calm, peaceful animals!
If one wanted a calm peaceful cat, of course the best way to get one would be to adopt an adult from a rescue or shelter where someone had been interacting with the cat for at least a couple of weeks, so that they could tell you what the cat's personality is. Same goes for a dog, of course.
Animals are very healing in our lives. I think if everyone in the world had a close relationship with a companion animal the whole world would be a better place. Seriously. But do choose carefully. Know what you want, what your limitations are, what your preferences are, do your research so you know what breeds would work for you if you are getting a dog, and adopt from a rescue.

Wow I was watching death with dignaty proAGram . Why cant the Dr.s give us meds to live produtive lives? After all, theres laws to end your own life if your so sick and dont feel productive. This huge crackdown on opiots is a dam shame! Why should a little old lady be deprived? We all know it, if we stop moving, we stop living. Ill sighn a dam waver stateing to release any Dr. Or Drug companey, for any liability on my part. I wont apoagize, Im in pain, and no one cares.

I love my CandyCrush - I genuinely look forward to sitting down and playing it for about half an hour at a time. But even with a simple game like that, some levels annoy and stress me out a lot. I have to stop and do breathing exercises. I feel pathetic when I realize I am stressing over a stupid game, but it also reminds me of how sensitive I am.

I also love watching TV shows with animals in them. Veterinarian shows, where you know animals will be taken care of, with almost always a happy end.
Animals relax me and make me happy. Just observing them is great, a bird out of my window for example, you see how beautiful and amazing they are.

And music music music....not whole day long, but just a few tunes here and there to lift up your spirits.

Little steps, often forward, sometimes backwards, but always little little steps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back