Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
wa.
For the last 3 Days my house has been on full fledge all out T.V. Football.....LOUD! And when its not football its loud obnoxious sounds from idiots trying to kill themselves on a rip cord, or whatever. One of the co hosts blonde, sounds like a donkey when she laughs. So, I become a prisoner in my own home. Its NOT HELPING IVE BEEN SICK FOR 5 DAYS. ALL MY SENCES ARE ON OVERLOAD. JUST SHOOT ME ! Rant rant rant.

I can totally relate. I have noticed the last 6 months or so sound and light have bothered me like never before. I had to leave my nieces wedding early in July because of all the people talking, the music playing, and the strobe lights flashing. I am constantly yelling at my husband to turn the TV down and when I am in a room I prefer a soft light to a glaring one. I guess it's just part of the fibro. Another fun thing that we have to adjust our lives to.

Hey----you live there too!! Can you not ask whoever it is to TURN IT DOWN???

I can relate too. A lot of noises really irritate me now - radio on too loud, any kind of repetitive noise is the worst, things like a car alarm Or even a dripping tap or someone clicking a pen, they all make me want to scream! Bright light annoys me too, I am so easily irritated lol :)

I am very, very noise sensitive. Music, even at low volume constitutes noise. I do not have a TV in my house and will not have one in the house. I don't own a radio. I live far from town so that I will have peace and quiet. I will never understand why so many people want to have constant *noise* in their lives! I am unable to think or function well if there is too much noise around me. I do not live with another human being, but if I did it would have to be someone who did not want radio or TV to be on in the house. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

I have always been very sensitive to sounds and noises as well, and have recently started using earplugs. I hate them in a sense - the feeling of something stuffing your ears annoys me, but it does help with calming down.

If I could afford them, I'd buy noise-cancelling headphones and walk with those all day long!

My god, I'm so glad I found this. There are noises that are unbearable to me - I become angry, overly agitated and I want to scream. The biggest problem is that I work in an office where all anyone does is type and one of the worst noises for me is typing. I don't know what to do most of the time because it's like there's no way out. I've told the person in my room that it bothers me but nothing is done. I don't know what could be done.

I'm sitting at work crying because everything just feels...I don't know.

I always say that I hope i go deaf.

Try the wax ear plugs . I'm able to make my plugs dead silent where all I can hear is my breathing , or I can tune out % of noise so I can still be a part of the goings on.

My body has been in "sensory overload" lately also. Mostly the noise, it's almost unbearable. Smells have been really bothering me too.

I used to think it was my anxiety. When I was living with my ex-husband he'd always have the tv blaring. The commercials would drive me NUTS!! It would get to the point where I'd b shrieking like a harpy after asking repeatedly for it to be turned down. Turns out it's the fibro.
Now that I control my own TV set it's not an issue (I mute the commercials or change channel 😂). My 6yo doesn't mess with the volume when I set it (thankfully).
The weird part of this is music. I can't listen to what my 19yo daughter listens to (pop, new rock, etc). It drives me up a wall. I listen almost exclusively to country. LOUDLY. That doesn't bother me. I'm friends with several bands I go see live, often. It doesn't bother me. (I've had PTSD attacks but that's from different issues). My favorite band (and best friends) are southern rock. They are beyond LOUD. I can stay & close the place down with them & not bat an eye. Guess love truly does win. 😊

The huge apartment building next to ours was being demolished a couple of weeks ago. The noise was horrific - scarry and stressful as well. I could not leave the house because I didn't want to leave my cats behind. They get stressed out very easily. I could not watch tv, listen to music, nothing. At one point, on the 3rd day of 6 hours of demolitions and engine sounds, I thought my heart would stop from the stress of it all. I could not breathe or move. Funnily, my cats slept through the noise/shaking - while I was one huge stress ball!

I really am thinking of investing in a pair of noise-cancelling headphones - especially because after the demolition, a whole new building has to be built and that can take months...ahhhhhh, what a nightmare.

By the way, there was an article on why many people are buying noise cancelling headphones on the guardian;

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/16/noise-cancelling-headphones-sound-modern-life

I have tinnitus pretty badly...it's very loud much of the time and also responds to external loud noises or even things like dropping cutlery can send a high pitched squeal on top of the baseline noise.

If my partner does any loud work like drilling the house brickwork or breaking up concrete in the garden i have a pair of ear defenders i can put on...looks a bit silly but who cares..lol especially if i am in my pjs and dressing gown with a pair of bright green ear defenders! :)

I JUST saw your post. Lol, to answer your question, yes,I ask every day.

Hi Willow. I have worn ear plugs for 15 yrs. Im now wearing ear plugs and industrial ear protector. My husband wore them at work. Hes Deaf, and everyone else has to yell for him to hear, hes angry when he cant hear, but refuses to wear hearing aids. Fun fun fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back