Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
CA
State
ON
I leave from Orlando on Saturday for a Caribbean cruise. It's a fundraising cruise for a charity I support with 186 of us coming from numerous different countries. I have tried to plan ahead as much as possible with my fibro and arthritis in mind

Walking for more than a few minutes is very painful because of the arthritis in my spine. I've requested wheelchair service from the airline and the cruise company. My cabin is very close to the elevators to eliminate long corridor walks, and I've prepaid for the use of thermal beds in the spa. I've purchased disposable heating pads and a tube of Myoflex. I was also able to get a Tens machine through my insurance. There's an adults-only area with a hot tub and cabana beds where I can get away from the noise if it becomes too much.

Can you think of anything else that I've missed? Any ideas, suggestions, tips for travelling with fibro?

AbbeyRose i feel you are so brave to do this and go into the unknown...but it seems you have preplanned brilliantly. Aside from your own pillow or soft cushion to go in the wheelchair you have thought of so much already.

I hope despite your conditions you have a wonderful time.

Yes, go and have FUN! You just may find the warm Carribean weather will rejuvenate you and feel more energetic. Have you thought of a heating pad? The heat lasts longer and you can control the heat setting. Whenever I travel I bring one with me. A life saver!

I have planned travels with anxiety in mind, and I think some of the same hints could apply here. Find out where the quiet spaces are - a library, a quiet deck, an adults only area - where you can go to get away from noise. See if you can get a map of the boat ahead of time so you can figure out a route to the places you want to go. Look at the schedule of events and prioritize what you really want to do the most and what you can miss. Give yourself time limits for how long you'll attend an event and stick to it. Be careful about what you eat and drink. I recently went to Quebec and felt really good, and wasn't having any trouble with the bits of baguette and pate that I was eating, so I went hog wild and lived to regret it. Maybe schedule the nights you're allowed treats.

Hi AbbyRose,

I just got back from a trip to NC and I can't believe how good I did.
I made sure I brought some of my vitamins (Vitb12 sublingual)and my Fibro meds. The most important one for me, was my sleeping pill.
As long as I sleep several hours it helps.I was even able to wake up for breakfast early on one of the days.I noticed the longer I stayed in bed, the more pain I experienced in my legs.
I brought extra strength Tylenol with me too to supplement between.

Have fun!

Sagey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back