Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
OH
So, my pain doctor that I've had for a few years decided I had fibro and put me on Tizanidine 4mg tabs 3x a day. I've been on this for 3 days. Except now the pain is worse.

My legs burn and my lower back seizes up after a few minutes of standing. I'm in more pain than I started with.

Is there an adjustment period? Is this normal? Do muscle relaxer react badly with other medications?

So confused.

Many years ago I was on some muscle relaxer ( don't remember which one) , I did't get much of relieve from it either . Then I've found out years later that fibro is't coming from muscle even if it felt like one. So to me burning pains and my back seized up was just a part of nerve fibro nerve pains. I can no longer stand still for more than a few minutes now. My muscle may hurt by it but it won't stop many other problem pains with fibro with just muscle relaxer if that's all I'm taking. It just ended up sent other pains all over the places. :confused: So confusing is truly understandable.

I also take tizanide, but only 1mg-2mg for sleeping. It really does allow me to sleep well on most nights. I was prescribed this for my night time muscle/nerve pain after 2 failed neck surgeries, so I can't say whether it actually helps with fibro pain during the day.

Just 2mg can really knock me out on some nights, but when my sister had lots of muscle pain she tried 2mg her first night, it did nothing for her. A doctor once even laughed at me when I said 2mg can knock me out at night, he did not take me seriously and said 'I prescribe 12 mg and more to airline pilots, so your reaction is not normal'. I was like I want to now which airlines those pilots work for, because I don't trust them to fly my plane! It really knocks me out so I really have to watch out. (my sister also notices on nights I take a full dose that my mouth goes weird laying in bed, and I slur if she asks me a question at night or in the morning)

Basically, it works different for everyone. But to hear that your pains are getting worse is never a good sign, so you should talk to your doctor about it asap. It is also not the go-to med for newly diagnosed fibro patients, so please go to your doctor and ask for something else. Good luck

First I have to say a medications effectiveness is due to body and brain chemistry.

My pain doctor looked at my record and goes "you are on Klonopin?", I was like "yup", he goes "how much?", "1mg twice a day" he's like "that's a lot". Then he looks and goes "you take Ativan too?" i'm like "PRN", "How much"?, "Oh 4mg". He was dumbfounded. I'm like yeah, I can be on 1mg klonopin, take 4mg ativan, and you wouldn't know the difference. Well only if you had previously witnessed my crippling anxiety. :)

On the flip side my roommate has 1mg Ativan PRN. It knocks him out completely. I once saw him walking around the house after he'd taken it and I was so concerned at how disoriented he was I would have to call the hospital.

He's twice my size. I call him a lightweight. lol

I wouldn't worry about those pilots. ;)

I do have to say I have slept better. I have not been awoken by the mind numbing back pain in the middle of the night.The kind so bad it would take 10 minutes to get out of bed. I don't think I'll just give it up completely.

But it sounds as if it may not help my daytime problems from what you guys say. I'll give it a little bit and see how it goes.

Thanks for the input!

lol oh gosh the pilot story cracking me up so much Vicky , when my doctor used to mention prescribing same stuff I get to other people with high responsible jobs it often worry me also. I've seen so many people with many crazy disoriented reaction. I'm often worry about my self , but then again my body usually rejecting the meds like my mom I either throw up before it gets to the high point. Plus I'm already disorienting and hallucinating without any drug use. Sadly muscel relaxer doesn't seem be a good match for my sleep since I often get sleep paralysis. It wasn't that much fun peeling my self out of my sheet when I need to go to bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back