Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
Anyone else have debilitating knee pain through both knees and into calves every day?

Like bone running bone..

I used to get flares like it but now its permanent.

I don't have that kind of pain. But I have known people who did and a knee replacement surgery took care of it. Don't know if you would be a candidate for that or not but you might want to look into it.

Knee pain is one of my worst fibro symptoms but I also have osteoarthritis in both knees so my knees make all sorts of noises when I move them and I often get that grinding sensation, it’s horrible. I attended knee osteoarthritis classes which work on building up the muscles around your knees. The exercises are very easy to do and don’t require any level of fitness. You could probably research them online rather than seeing a physio as they’re really easy. Also one of the things the physio recommended was a set of bicycle pedals. You can buy them fairly cheaply online and can use them while sitting on a chair at home while watching tv, reading or whatever. I’m only 39 so it will be a long time before I’ll be offered a knee replacement and need to do what i can in the meantime to make things bearable.

I have tried doing simple leg raises Lou to strengthen the muscles...what happens is that then my tendons around the knees seize up and the whole lot gets even stiffer and more painful.

Do you think your is partly fibro or mostly the OA.

I think maybe my overall fitness has declined so much that even the most minor exercises seem to make it worse. I keep trying to find a balance but have been hobbling for well over 18 month and had problems with my knees although less right from the fibro get go and they throb all night in bed too.

May i ask Lou does anything ease your knee pain. You are some what younger than me so very young to have both these conditions.....and i know you walk your dog if my memory serves me correctly which is the right thing as my overall condition was so much better when i could keep moving.

Did you have xrays or MRI to diagnose you OA. I think i must get myself checked out....the NHS down here seems so slow and reluctant once you are labelled with fibro...but i do seem to have an awful lot of problems with tendon and ligament pain all over my body where joints meet muscles and bones.

Nice to hear from you on the forum ...thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I think it’s a combination of OA and fibro with my knees. I’ve had x-rays & 2 MRI’s which is when the OA was diagnosed. One of the tips I was given by the Physio was to try a magnesium oil spray, you spray it directly on to the affected joints, just one or two to begin with then gradually increase the number of sprays. It worked really well for other people but not for me, everyone reacts differently to things. My knee pain can be very sporadic, I can hardly walk at all during a flare but on a good day it’s not nearly as bad. It grinds & makes audible crepitus noises all day when I’m active. I still walk my dog most days on average 2miles a day but up to 4 like I did today. You can insist on an MRI being requested with the NHS so I would definitely push it if I was you. I can’t pinpoint anything definite that eases my knee pain but I’m hoping the CBD will help.

i did have an xray when the problem first started and was also pretty severe during flare ups and would seize ...like you on good days i could walk about 2 miles or slightly more.

The xray showed no problem...but that was years ago now...i will do as you suggest over the mri....lol first have to get into the new system here where you get referred to a 'hub'...then depending who you get to see....a doctor of physio...then wait for MRI i guess.

Thanks for the info and tips.

Can be complicated as joint and muscles can flare up separately. I originally injured my knee causing reduced mobility and weight gain, an arthroscopy helped but then had a car accident which set things off again. Lots of other issues mean can no longer take the painkillers that helped so some days can barely get out of bed. Can’t bend knees very far and get pelvic and back pain from walking slow. Do find that heat can be helpful at times.

Yes, I feel you. I have terrible knee pain. I've had it from a child and it's just become worse with age. I also feel it in my hips today. It radiates down my outer thighs clear into the lower extremities. Today has been one of my worst flares ever. Every bone and joint aches and nothing is relieving all of the pain. ��

Last edited:
Yes. It's painful to walk. I have tried some exercises sugessted by the rheumotologist but they flared up my back and my physio said to stop them. The only thing I have found to help is to wear great sneakers. It doesn't cure the pain but it makes it alot more bearable.

Lou38

Thanks for the heads up on the bicycle pedals. I was wondering what to do about that situation. The exercises are boring.

Sandra
dx 1997 = ouch!! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back