Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
US
State
Pa
Hi. I am so happy to have found this site! I was diagnoses with FM several years ago, but was not given ANY information whatsoever. So I try to learn as I go. I do not know anyone with FM, so this has been pretty much a solo journey. I have been inundated recently with so many physical symptoms that I started searching for information, and thankfully have found my way here! I'm like a kid in a candy shop - only for me it's people who actually know and understand!
Where do I start??

Hi Justme, welcome

It's great that you are eager to learn more about fibro - the more you learn, the more you will find the things that will help you

If you like reading books, we've had people recommend several. "The First Year: Fibromyalgia" by Claudia Craig Marek and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fibromyalgia" are both good books to start with for an overview of fibro.

"How to Be Sick" by Toni Bernhard is more about the personal aspects of having a chronic disease like fibro.

"Breaking through the Fibro Fog" by Kevin White. He is a doctor and also does research on fibromyalgia. He has a good understanding of the more recent discoveries and does a good job explaining them. He also goes out of his way to address "fibromyalgia doubters" and discusses the prejudice against fibromyalgia.

"The Fibro Manual" by Ginevra Liptan. She is a doctor who got fibromyalgia in medical school. She has been treating fibromyalgia patients for years. This book is a summary of the knowledge from her personal experience and from treating others. It's also well written. It includes medical explanation but is more focused on what to do about fibromyalgia than Dr. White's book.

If books aren't your thing, you can search the thread for discussions past, or just post a question about whatever's on your mind. We are all here to help and support each other :)

Thanks DK engineer. I will definitely check into those books. I've been scouring amazon unlimited for books as well. Some of the previous threads are terrifying to me. I'm fighting so hard to stay off disability. I have several health issues, and I am constantly telling my dr that he has to help me to keep working. I figure the more I know, and seeing how others cope will help me. I also hate taking meds, so I want to do what I can to keep that to a minimum! So again I thank you for your suggestions. Knowledge is power, and we can never learn enough!!

I hear you - I need to keep working too, as I am the breadwinner for my family.

I've found that each technique I use to manage my symptoms takes the edge off but does not completely remove the pain, even for a little while. I've had to change my mindset about pain. I now kind of view it like I view the weather - if it's raining I can wear a hat or carry an umbrella, but I can't make the rain stop. I try to focus on doing what I can do to manage my symptoms - mild exercise, reducing stress, getting good sleep, taking my medications and supplements, eating fruits and vegetables, and so forth.

Getting good sleep is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. I take trazodone to help me sleep at night.

The main medication I take for pain is low dose flexeril in the evenings. I had underestimated how much it was helping me until I ran out a few weeks ago. I definitely don't want to run out again :( Or maybe I should say, I'm glad this medication helps me so much :)

I've learned a lot of good tips here. For example, my pain is mostly in my hands. Someone suggested compression gloves, which has helped me a lot. I hope that you find this forum helpful too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back