Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1995
Country
US
State
PA
This topic has been mentioned by a few members of the forum, so I thought I would share some information about it. Burning mouth syndrome or sometimes called glossodynia, means tongue pain. However, the pain and burning can involve the lips and tongue, the roof of the mouth and inside of the cheeks, and the back of the mouth or throat area.

The symptoms can appear suddenly without warning. It seems to increase as the day goes on and reach a discomfort range from moderate to severe. Sometimes eating or drinking can help, but it feels as bad as a toothache. It often interferes with falling asleep and creates in the person lots of irritability and anxiety, and depression. There is no known tests to prove you have it other than ruling out such things as yeast infections or vitamin deficiencies, or diabetes.

Certain conditions may be present along with burning mouth syndrome:
1. Dry mouth
2. Taste alterations like a metallic taste or a bitter taste in mouth.
3. Difficulty swallowing or other throat problems
4. Chronic anxiety or depression

Causes of burning mouth syndrome:
1. Ill fitting dentures
2. Allergies to dental filling materials
3. Dry mouth due to Sjorgren's syndrome
4. Nutritional deficiencies like iron, zinc, folate, vitamin B1,B2,B6.B9,B12 & niacin
5. Allergies to toothpaste
6. Allergies to mouthwash
7. Food allergies
8. Gastic reflux, pernicious anemia, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, hypothyroidism, or thyroid disease
9. Nerve problems related to taste and pain in tongue
10. Reactions to medications
11. Psychological dsyfunction
12. Chronic pain conditions like myofascial pain or TMJ
13. Nighttime teeth grinding
14. Hormonal changes due to menopause
15. Damage to the taste areas od central nervous system from trauma or viral infections

Having suffered from this I recommand visiting your dentist first, and then your family doctor if no cause is found. Usually, although, my dentist could find no cause he would prescribe pain medication or throat numbing syrup which seemed to help. Each doctor has ideas on helping to treat the problem if no reason can be found.

My mother has this and it's just HORRID. She can no longer use products containing mint and has struggled to find dental products she can use. She can't eat any sort of peppers including black table pepper, many items with vinegar, citrus, and sometimes even tomatoes. She even sometimes gets painful ulcers in her mouth from it. It's crazy! The doctor at the dental school suspects it may be due to some of her meds for Fibro, including the Tramadol in particular, and has given her some stuff for dry mouth.

Cooking for her is a real challenge!

Hello..! very useful info has been presented here. I had 2 cavities in my mouth and got the filling done last week. Since then i feel a sort of burning sensation in my mouth. Those filled teeth are also paining and there is a burning feeling which prevails for full day. I am unable to understand whether it is some sort of allergy or what? Should i get it checked or is it normal? Please reply asap. :) Thank you..!

this is crazy, I honestly thought my burning tongue was just me. I have a number of things going on that could be the cause. My teeth have always been a huge issue and I didn't realise how bad my "burning" tongue was until I went gluten free. This condition is so weird. I was diagnosed when I was 19, I'm now 34 and I'm still learning things.

Like I said above if the problem continues go see your dentist first to make sure it is nothing serious and then vist your family doctor if the first doctor is of no help. Are you taking a new medication or did you get meds from the dentist you never had before. Sometimes the numbing med used can cause it. Think over what you had done before this started and work your way forward. Did you eat a new food? Have you eaten more of something then normal.

I had a short case of it recently and discovered it was a juice drink that caused my mouth and tongue to get sore. Stopped drinking the juice and the pain went away in a few days. I noticed chocolate bars can cause it as well, but only those made in same factories with peanut products.

You might also have a infection under those teeth you had fixed. They should not still be hurting you. Go back to your dentist right away. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back