Not open for further replies.

missbetany

Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
WA
This is my first time on this or any other support forum. I am admittantly a little nervous. Well, here goes nothing: I have spent most of my life with no insurance. I knew that I had pain, but I didn't know what it was or why. I haven't had the easiest life, so I figured that the pain i felt was a wonderful side effect of that. Then I got Kaiser insurance. They diagnosed my pain as fibromyalgia and we set about finding a treatment plan that worked for me. Five years went by, and my pain was annoying, and it wasn't always easy, but I had a great doctor that really cared about me and my quality of life. I didn't have any idea how good I had it. My insurance was through my husband who worked for Kaiser. In 2012 I found out that my wonderful husband was actually a p.o.s. cheating liar who was fathering children with other women. Of course I kicked him out and filed for divorce. Of all of the things that I was thinking about and dealing with while my whole life was changing around me, I hadn't even considered how terrible the loss of my insurance would be. My doctor was helpful and optimistic, and he gave me two months worth of rx's so that I would have what I needed while I found a new dr. I had these rx's filled, and I discovered that my copays through my work insurance was the same as they were through Kaiser. It totally lulled me into a sense of false security. I thought everything would turn out to be okay after all. Wrong. I have spent weeks trying to find a dr/ who believes that I am really in pain and who doesn't think that my meager 30 percocet a month is not an outrageous request. I am so terrified of not having the pain medication that I need when the pain comes - and it always comes - I would actually say it borders on panic. I don't want to have to live in pain all day every day, and I thought that in this day and age of medical capabilities no one would have to go through something like this when there is treatment available. I have insurance, I have a medical record showing years of treatment and a complete history of my medical issues. I can't believe that I can't find a dr. who is willing to treat me. To make matters worse, I work in a pharmacy. I take in rx's and sell rx's every day to people - a scary large amount of who don't need the meds. I have patinets who admit to getting their rx to get loaded. I have even had patients offer to sell me their rx that they just purchased to me in the parking lot, not realizing that I am the same person who just waited on them in the store. I am so frustrated I don't even have the words. I thought that if there was a complete medical history including prolonged use of a list of medications that are working for me at least to a decent amount that I would have very little trouble finding a pcp who would be willing to take up my care and work with me. At this point, I have been told that I am not really in pain, I have been told that I should try taking a walk when the pain becomes too much, I have been told that I should pray for relief, I have even been told that the only thing wrong with me is a mental health issue. I am an articulate, educated person who happens to work in the medical field, and yet I can't get a single dr. to take me seriously. This is rediculous!

As a last resort you might try the government run medical clinic's. Often times you will find understanding doctors there that will help you. They charge on a sliding scale according to your income which works out to be pennies on the dollar compared to most doctors. They can refer you to other doctors that use the same type of payment scale and usually are affordable.

One reason doctors don't like the medication you take is because it is addictive. You might approach a doctor and ask for a different pain medication because of your fear of becoming addicted to the one your on. That medication could be your answer as far as the doctors are concerned. Some might think your already addicted to it. So change your tactic and ask for something else and maybe a doc will treat you for your fibro. It is worth trying.

Anyways glad you found our forum and hopefully you will find some answers here that will help you deal with your pain and other problems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back