Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to the forum also. I am sorry for your experience. I venture to say that is most people's experience.

Hello, Nick, thank you so much again for all your explanation which I find very interesting; as usual, I like all that you explain with so much patience and kindness. I will write again in answering to your post this Thursday evening because I have to finish a work that has deadline this Thursday morning.

At this moment, what bothering me is the pain that I have been having since last Saturday after spending many hours to do the decoration for Easter. My elbows, my hands and fingers have a lot of pain. Easter Sunday morning was the worst, my hands and fingers were so painful, so sore and tender that I was not able to pick up a small piece of sandwich, it was as small as 1/4 of a slice of bread only. I tried and tried but did not succeed to get it for my breakfast, then I gave up. My sister then took exactly the piece of sandwich which I would like to have for herself. Of course, nobody would think and realize that touching or holding things is painful for me.

Welcome to the forum, Tfreeny!

Thank you so much for your sharing and support, I feel so sorry for your suffering!

Are anxiety and depression caused by Fibromyalgia? Aside from taking medications for pain, what else do you do to cope with Fibromyalgia?

What I have written is not long enough to welcome you to the forum, I will write more next time as I get to finish my work and submit it before Thursday morning.

I wish you feeling better and better everyday.

Welcome to the forum, Dawn!

Thank you so much for your support ! I have read your other post, knowing that you have been having Fibromyalgia for a long time, I wish your husband could learn more about Fibromyalgia so as to give you more loving support. I admire your smiling attitude with courage to face difficulty and suffering.

May you have more support and feel better each day.

Hello, Marie! :)

I think the pain gate theory is quite interesting. The theory sounds logical to me, so I believe it can partly explain, why for example the positive energy around us and a pleasant atmosphere can relieve the pain. I believe the distraction that you mentioned is playing a key role in the mechanism of decreasing the pain. When your brain is busy with processing the emotions created by moments of joy (for example when you see someone you just helped being so happy), or by the beautiful environment (when walking in the nature), or when there are a plenty of other positive distractions, such as singing, music, or movements of your body (for example when dancing or playing basketball), the impulses coming from the pain receptors may either be blocked at the gates (that are often called synapses), or more commonly they may reach the brain, but your positive feelings beat the negative feelings caused by the pain.

Thank you, Nick, I like your explanation very much!

In fact, our mind plays an important role in coping with illness. Positive attitude, pleasant thoughts, humor, distraction and pleasing sight, all these help alleviate pain. Distraction is a great help to me. I believe, the more our focus is on someone or something - outside of our body, the less will be our awareness of physical discomfort. Hobby, games, book, movie, music, movements, helping others, talking and going out with friends.... serve as means to distract us from our sufferings.

Laughter is specially beneficial to both mind and body: one can get two hours of pain relief from 15 minutes of laughter. I was told that a person after coming out from his doctor's office, he went to rent many comedy movies from a store, after spending a number of days at home watching and laughing with those movies, he got well and returned to work!

I am a 34 year old male and was diagnosed with fibro end of last year after years of chronic pain and fatigue. I also have mild sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome and Celiacs. It is not fun but it is something you can learn to live with and still enjoy life. I have tried the typical fibro meds and have not done well on any of them. I agree that medication is not always the best option. I have opted to go the more natural route because prescription meds have made things worse for me. These are the things that I have done that work for ME. Morning walks/low impact exercise, specific essential oils- (remember most synthetic drugs are derived from a natural source) Stem machine for muscle pain, stretching-morning and night, vegetable juice(taste like dirty dish water strained through a lawn mower bag but it helps) and the big one Diet. I have gone gluten free and that has helped. Also look into the FODMAP Diet. All of these health problems cost me my job. I had the opportunity to go to the Mayo clinic at the beginning of the year. The Dr's there put me on the FODMAP diet. I would be happy to send out any info on the FODMAP diet or the specific oils I use or put you in touch with the person I get my natural stuff from. I know a little bit about what you might be going through so any help I can be...

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the post.

For Fibromyalgia treatment I prefer the natural way to medication. In fact, evening for my sleep, I do not take any sleeping tablet, but simply, now, soak my feet in hot water for 15 minutes before going to bed, and it makes me sleep well. Once a while, I rub my neck and the sole of my feet with a little lavender oil that mixed with baby oil, with this, I sleep very well but too well that the next day I still feel sleepy, so I prefer soaking my feet with hot water.

What is the MODMAP diet that you mentioned? What vegetable juice do you drink ? And what are the specific oils that you use?

Since I never take any medication for Fibromyalgia since I was diagnosed five years ago, because I am afraid of the side effects, I have interest in anything that is natural and have been going for acupuncture weekly.

Hi, Marie! I'm sorry to hear about the recent debilitating pain in your fingers, hands, and elbows. It sounds like you may have worked too hard for the Easter decorations. I hope you're feeling better already, and that your pain has been relieved.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and stories. I find them helpful and I think you're good at writing. I agree on that laughter can be really beneficial for people with chronic pain. I also enjoy watching comedies because watching them makes me forget the pain for a while.

I'll finish my current studies in June. I'll be a vet, hopefully for horses. I find it difficult to find a job that would be suitable for me. I hope the pain, fatigue, and the other symptoms of fibromyalgia won't prevent me from being a vet. I used to be a pharmacist. I think I'll try to work in some pharmacy again, if I'm unable to work as a vet.

Hi Marie! I’m new too. I have ptsd, anxiety, panic attacks and the fibro. I just started seeing a fibro dr. I did want to suggest something that helps with my sleep. Ear plugs and a sleep mask. A loud noise or any noise after I doze off can wake me and throw me into a panic attack. I find contoured ear plugs and a sleep mask (go with a thin one, thicker ones get hot) help me relax and sleep. I’m at the over sleeping phase. I thought I’d share in case it could help.

I’ve been having a rougher time since after Christmas. I so understand how rough this is for you.

Hi Nick ! Thank you so much for all your kindness, now I am feeling better after I have started with the new rememdies which were ordered by a naturopathic doctor who was introduced to me about two weeks ago.

I was not able to write sooner because I was very busy these days working on a manuscript - I do the editing, and there is deadline for me to submit the work from time to time.

Just this morning, my doctor told me: The best medicine for Fibromyalgia is happiness, try to be happy in your heart always !

HOLD ON TO YOUR DREAM AND YOU WILL BE A VET ! As you hold on to your dream, your Fibromyalgia will not prevent you ! I hope and pray that you would be a vet as your heart so desire.

Hi Val ! Welcome to the forum !

Thank you so much for sharing with me your experience and thank you for your suggestion. I 'll try the ear plugs and see how it works. When it comes to noise and light, I am sensitive. Sometimes my sister forgets to turn off her alarm clock and she goes away, I cannot sleep at all. I feel good when the light is gentle; strong light makes me feel very uncomfortable. I guess this might be Fibromyalgia symptom too.

I hope you feel better, especially after joining this forum !

Hi, Marie! I’m happy to hear that you’re already feeling better. :)

Thank you for your heartfelt and encouraging words. I feel blessed and grateful for meeting you on this forum.

Hi Nick, it is I who should thank you for all your kindness to me and to the members of the forum.

I am doing pretty well with my Fibromyalgia after taking the supplements / remedy that were given to me three weeks ago by my new naturopathic doctor. I feel physically stronger, having more energy, less anxiety and the pain does not border me, although, at the present moment, I am in a stressful situation plus working on another deadline assignment - editing. I believe, in the long run, medication cannot cure Fibromyalgia, because the body will get used to and demand stronger and stronger dose; there are other means that treat Fibromyalgia. I have great interest to explore the possibility of having Fibromyalgia condition reversed by supplying what is lacking in the body, plus proper diet, exercise, even if just walking, and continue my acupuncture weekly.
Actually, I have been so busy recently that I do not have time to think about my Fibromyalgia.

I continue to wish and pray that you would become a vet; so, hold on to your dream and your desire would be fulfilled !

Hi Marie,

I’m happy to hear that the new supplements have helped you cope with your fibromyalgia better. :)

I like everything what you said about managing and treating your fibromyalgia. It’s true that our bodies can get used to and develop tolerance to medicaments when the medicaments are used regularly and for long periods of time. Thus, I agree on that non-medicamentous treatments and changes in the diet and exercise habits belong to the essential parts of the treatment and management of fibromyalgia. A balanced diet combined with regular exercise, and variable supplements can create a foundation for a healthier and happier life for people with fibromyalgia.

I try to eat as healthy and natural food as possible, but there are still days when I choose some processed snacks because I’m too tired to cook a proper meal. Sometimes, I have also severe weakness in my hands, and the pain in my hands can be so intense that it’s quite a challenge for me to cut any vegetables. I want to decrease the consumption of highly processed foods because I can feel they’re not good for my body. The processed snacks can be easily replaced by fresh fruits and berries, and that’s what I’m going to do. Despite all the at times debilitating symptoms caused by fibromyalgia, I enjoy cooking vegan meals and I love trying and creating new recipes. Do you also like cooking, Marie?

Hi Nick, I like your explanation and sharing, very interesting. And I will write again this Friday because I am working on the manuscript which I need to submit to the printer tomorrow morning (Thursday). And tomorrow late afternoon, I am going to attend for the first time the Fibromyalgia program which lasts for two and a half hours. So I will have more things to share with the members of the forum on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back