Advances for migraine - might apply to fibromyalgia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DK_engineer

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
US
State
OR
I listened to a pod cast about recent advances in treatment of migraines the other day. The older theory for how migraines are caused is that the blood vessels dialate then contract, causing pain. The newest research indicates that migraine is actually a central nervous system sensitization, very similar to fibromyalgia. There are some new medications in phase 3 testing that target the sensitization that causes migraine. Maybe these medications will create multiple more options for fibromyalgia too.

If you want to listen to the podcast you can google "Diane Rehm advances migraine" and it should come up near the top.

This is refreshing and encouraging news that all is not doom and gloom. This means that fibro is not a neglected disease and sufferers have something to look forward to. As medical science progresses new discoveries are going to be made not only by doctors and medical scientists, but also by fibro patients themselves because they study the disease in person and in real time. There is this nurse who was a fibro patient who went on to full recovery invented the U Comfort pillow used to ease neck pain for fibro patients.

Thanks for posting this info, I actually suffer from migraines very often :( It's awful! It's funny they are still not so sure what actually causes migraines, but this info you mentioned does make sense. I hope that podcast is still available, I definitely need to check it out.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to see if I can find it and listen, hopefully when I'm a bit more alert, and can actually digest the information. I've had migraines since I was 12, and although I initially attributed it a horse riding accident, that's also around the time the hormones changed, so it could be a combination of the two, or something else altogether. Regardless of the source, they are apparently here to stay. Thankfully, the seem to be somewhat less frequent since my recent surgery, but I recently experienced one, so I know they're not entirely gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back