DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
UK
State
Oxfordshire
Hi

I have just posted in the thread about men with Fibromyalgia so won't repeat everything here.

I am 60 years old and I have suffered from serious inflammatory diseases for many years, some life threatening eg acute pancreatitis and myocarditis and some needing surgery eg arthritis in joints.

Following a serious case of pneumonia about 18 months ago I just never got well again. Apart from my arthritic pain, my whole body hurts and tingles, and I become exhausted with little effort.

I had to give up a very good job. I was determined to find out what was wrong and suspected Lupus or similar, but a top rheumatologist has formally diagnosed Fibro along with the arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.

He explained that Fibro sufferers build up lactic acid quickly in their muscles which causes the pain, tingling and burning.

However, he also believes that there is a large element of 'somatisation', meaning that underlying psychological problems are expressed through the body. I'm not so sure about this? What do other folks here think?

I already had had depression and even a breakdown but it had no serious effect on my physical condition and I believe I can recognize when problems are causing me physical symptoms.

All I know is that on its own Fybro is a miserable condition and combined with crumbling joints and inflamed organs makes life hard going for family and friends as well as the sufferer!

I take an enormous amount of tablets for my various conditions and am worried about the codeine based painkillers I have been on for years along with UK drugs Tramadol (painkiller) and Naproxen (anti inflammatory). I also take small amounts of Valium when muscles are in spasm.

I was recently put on the anti epileptic drug Neurontin but this gave me a continuous upset stomach.

I will look in on the group with interest, however I am already on groups for arthritis, pancreatitis, and prostatitis support.....:(

Vigman

Vigmen,
Hello and welcome to the forum. For some reason doctors always feel the need to throw that comment about mental issues into the diagnosis of fibro. Often we have mental issues from not being believed when we go looking for help as to what is causing our pain. Many times we are depressed due to sickness and job loss, yet it is not all in our heads as many doctors believe. lol

I know the pain and heartache of giving up a really good job because of not being able to do the work anymore. Even now days are a struggle with added stress and things I must do for others. But it is nice to have a forum to come to where no matter what your illness is we do understand and try to help by answering questions or offering a supportive shoulder to cry on. We have a section just for the groaning and moaning, or venting on the really bad days.

Please ask any questions that come to mind and know that we do understand and wish to help by listening and responding. Also post anywhere on the forum where you like and know that we are happy you joined the forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back