Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
Staffordshire
My MIL has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and has been prescribed sertraline as one of her medications. I also have sertraline for a severe anxiety disorder, and am aware that it is used to treat depression and/or anxiety. Is it normal for people with fibromyalgia to be prescribed anti-depressants and, if so, why? She hasn't complained about any depression, and the anxiety she was suffering was directly linked to her mystery illness that took years to diagnose. She's not generally an anxious person.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello clock, welcome

I'm not an expert, but I've done a lot of reading to help me understand my condition. I'll try to answer.

The reason antidepressants are prescribed for fibromyalgia has to do with how we sense pain. Most people visualize the process as nerve gets triggered -> nerve sends signal to brain -> brain detects pain. There are actually a lot more steps involved. The nerves send signals to the spinal column, then neurotransmitters carry the signal to the brain. The brain can then send neurotransmitters back down to the nerves to make them stop or slow down signaling. Think of a time you've stubbed your toe - it hurts really bad at first, then quickly gets better. That is this feedback system dampening the pain.

In the spinal fluid of people with fibromyalgia, the neurotransmitters are skewed toward feeling pain. The feedback system acts as an amplifier. Antidepressants help adjust the neurotransmitters toward a more healthy balance (serotonin is important in the process that inhibits pain). I've read that fibromyalgia is in usually treated with lower doses than depression or anxiety and that it is more effective to take low doses of two different antidepressants than high doses of one.

I think that's the gist of it, hope that helps

I am also on setraline but was given it for depression but I also have fibromyalgia so I guess the thought process is that it works for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back