Not open for further replies.

Mzee

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
12/2019
Country
UK
Last September I was suffering awful pain in my chest/ribs which spread into my upper back. I was eventually diagnosed with costochondritis... The pain lasted every single day until Christmas when it suddenly disappeared.

In the time I had it I had so many blood tests for numerous things which thankfully came back all clear and fibromyalgia was mentioned a couple of times from 2 different doctors but no firm diagnosis was made.

Ive always suffered lower back problems and pain but during this time it seemed to get more frequent and there is not a day goes by that my right hip does not cause me pain....when I'm moving and at rest.

Lately my legs feel heavy and get that sleepy, need to stretch feeling and my feet ache like I've been walking for days.

I get sudden bouts of stomach cramps and diarrhoea and alot of heartburn/reflux.

My costochondritis has started again in the last few days too, the pain in my upper back makes me want to cry sometimes 😢

I get days where I literally feel like I've been hit by a bus, I ache everywhere, feel so emotional and like I just want to give up.

Do you think it could be fibro seems as it has been mentioned in previous doctor appointments... Do I push for a diagnosis or just carry on guessing that's what it is?

Thankyou for reading my rambling!! 😂😂

Hi,

I’m not sure what test you have done, but Fibromyalgia is a process of ruling everything out first.

I view medication as a band aid approach to health care. For example, if you present your GI symptoms to your GP, the GP might want to start you on a proton pump inhibitor for your symptoms. But you also need a GI consult to investigate why you are having those symptoms.

Please keep pushing for further testing, your body is telling you something isn’t right.

H.

Hi...Thankyou for your reply.
I have had blood tests--CBC x3, kidney function, plasma viscosity, something for protein in blood, HLA-B27, CRP x2 and a few others, so definitely had thorough blood check. I've also had an endoscopy which was clear apart from a little inflammation at the top of my stomach, a biopsy was taken and all was clear.
I will go back to my GP this week and ask what to do next 🤷‍♀️

My suggestion is to ask what they have ruled out. Then ask about Fibro. There is a test of sorts, but it is hands on and has to be done by an experienced person. It involves pushing on trigger points that cause pain.

I do believe your back pain may be causing your hip pain. I get a lot of hip pain, that will suddenly disappear, only to reappear some days or weeks later.

I would get the diagnosis either way, your doctor(s) should be able to tell you after a simple blood test. It is so much easier then when I was diagnosed with it in 2003. Also, I would get a full work up whether you have arthritis or not. (that's blood tests also) I think that it is very important to get the diagnosis, it will help you believe me there is a difference in knowing what you have and wondering whether you have it or not. No one wants to be sick or in chronic pain but half the battle is knowing what you have, then you can build up your support team. For example, I have friends that know when I need them to talk with me and go out some place special and they also know when I need alone time.

Hi can i ask is there any kind of treatment that helps x

Mill---- there are lots of treatments and ways of handling Fibro. the thing is, there's nothing that works for everyone or that makes it go away. The individual affected by Firbo has to do his or her own experimentation to find out what works best.

People will say "oh do this, or take this, and it will all get better". don't believe it. It may have helped them, and it may help you, so try it if you want to, by all means. But don't pin your hopes on it. Everyone's different. Do a lot of research for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back