Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2018
Country
US
State
New jersey
Has anyone dealt with the depression that comes with this? My pain isn’t that bad but the depression for these past three months has been kicking my butt, I’m cryin and sad all the time, also like my hands and feet are always cold and my right hand seems weaker? Like what the heck is this? Half the time I forget I even have this disease, I’m just over it today y’all. And these nightmares?? Really over it

Depression is part of it for sure. I have the cold hands and feet ALOT outta nowhere even in warm weather. I have asked that same question, what the heck is this. I started meds which I hate the idea of. The first try was gabapentin and it did nothing. Next is to try Cymbalta but I havent started it yet. And sleep? What's that?? I cant remember the last time I had a good nights sleep. I feel you pain today..........I have had days like that. Where I just say I am so over this. It can be really hard some days to deal with it. I do my best to stay on a positive vein but I have days where I dont even care. Here we can support one another. Finding support helps for sure. WE are the only ones who truly understand what this is like. :)

Sabrina

Thank you so much Sabrina glad I’m not the only one experiencing these cold hands and feet. It’s super annoying, and meds?!! Ugh they had me on amitriptyline, sertraline, omepraxole and dyclomine, I was loopy mess. I’m off it all now and contemplating getting on something but my mental energy is so low I could careless. Thank you for reminding me that there are others out there, We got this!

Thank you so much Sabrina glad I’m not the only one experiencing these cold hands and feet. It’s super annoying, and meds?!! Ugh they had me on amitriptyline, sertraline, omepraxole and dyclomine, I was loopy mess. I’m off it all now and contemplating getting on something but my mental energy is so low I could careless. Thank you for reminding me that there are others out there, We got this!
Yeah it sounds like meds can be a roller coaster ride all in itself. I wont do more than one at a time so if I have some side effect I will know what med is causing it. I am either really cold or really hot. Fibromyalgia is VERY hard to get a handle on for sure. The symptoms seem so random and sporadic!! Seems to be no real rhyme or reason to them quite often. I am hoping that if I can finally start sleeping better that that in itself will help.

The temperature issue is a real pain in the butt, for sure! I’m always fiddling with the thermostat to no avail. Or it’s blanket on, blanket off, all night long along with my insomnia. Gabapentin made me so spacey and forgetful that I couldn’t function. I’m on Lyrica now and it just doesn’t seem that much better. The medication ride can be almost as bad as this disease, so good luck! Take it slow and watch out for those side effects!

The pain will wake me up in the middle of the night like last night my hands felt like they were boiling! They hurt so bad as we speak, I had to get back in sertraline recently because of the depression, I was super low. Good luck to both of you!

Sorry you had such a bad night. Have you tried any of the topical creams? I’ve had some luck with Diclofenac Sodium gel, (aka Voltaren) which you need a prescription for. My hands have also been really sore and I found the gel to be moderately useful, without all the side-effects of an oral pain killer. Of course what works for me may not work for you, but maybe it’s something to try?

Best thing I have found for night time is a combination of a hot shower, a heating pad, and the right pain medication taken right before going to sleep. But of course it doesn't always work.

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this whole forum thing. I got diagnosed with Fibro back in 2014 when I was 21. I have to admit, these have been the hardest years. I have felt so alone. But I am honestly so glad to know that I am not alone!

Depression and anxiety are way too real! Before the pain I was such an adventurous, outgoing person. But now, all this pain has made me an absolute hermit. My whole body hurts all the time, nothing calms the pain. I don't ever like going out or doing anything anymore just because of the amount of pain I'll be in once it's over... I honestly hate that I am 27 and can't have a normal life because of this..

Temperature is one of my worst symptoms. Constantly cold, even in the hottest months of summer. It's a killer!
I have found electric heated blankets help to relax my body as I fall asleep. Melatonin and B12 also help to calm and promote a relaxed sleep.

I often wear compression gloves to help with my aching wrists. They are an absolute godsend. Especially on days that I am at work.

How does everyone else cope with this everyday?!!!

Hi niki!
I’m 27 too, it’s nice to meet someone my age with this disease, I’ll admit I’m stubborn and try to “ride it out” but as time goes on I’m recognizing that I can’t. I take ibuprofen and hot baths and a glass of wine helps, lol, the temperature thing I just keep layers on and take them off as I go. Like I said before I’m back on meds just to keep me up, and I try to focus on school and work which helps. But it’s a pain trying to keep myself insured, one minute I make too much for state insurance the next I can qualify. I’m on the “make too much” scale right now so getting it is next to impossible, plus open enrollment is closed so won’t be able to get it until November! So I just try to regulate myself as much as possible, many people say working out helps a lot though I’ll admit I’m too tired when I get home to work out.

Sorry you had such a bad night. Have you tried any of the topical creams? I’ve had some luck with Diclofenac Sodium gel, (aka Voltaren) which you need a prescription for. My hands have also been really sore and I found the gel to be moderately useful, without all the side-effects of an oral pain killer. Of course what works for me may not work for you, but maybe it’s something to try?
I’m trying some cbd products right now! I’m not insured right now so gotta fine prescriptions I can afford out of pocket or natural alternatives

Has anyone dealt with the depression that comes with this? My pain isn’t that bad but the depression for these past three months has been kicking my butt, I’m cryin and sad all the time, also like my hands and feet are always cold and my right hand seems weaker? Like what the heck is this? Half the time I forget I even have this disease, I’m just over it today y’all. And these nightmares?? Really over it
Hi i’m 5 yrs in with Fibro now and unfortunately depression is a massive part of it.. iv’e tried all the meds and none have worked , the advice is to be positive and happy to release the bodies only natural pain killer ‘Endorphins’ this is very tricky as how can you be happy and positive when your in pain all the time and have no energy to do the things you love ? .. i now make jokes about everything including my Fibro and it does work 👍.. Pacing on what we call good days helps, slowing yourself down also works which in this fast pacing world isn’t that easy.,talking about it helps especially to other sufferers as i agree they are the only people who understands, supportive friends and family is massive .. you all keep smiling 🙂 ..

Hi i’m 5 yrs in with Fibro now and unfortunately depression is a massive part of it.. iv’e tried all the meds and none have worked , the advice is to be positive and happy to release the bodies only natural pain killer ‘Endorphins’ this is very tricky as how can you be happy and positive when your in pain all the time and have no energy to do the things you love ? .. i now make jokes about everything including my Fibro and it does work 👍.. Pacing on what we call good days helps, slowing yourself down also works which in this fast pacing world isn’t that easy.,talking about it helps especially to other sufferers as i agree they are the only people who understands, supportive friends and family is massive .. you all keep smiling 🙂 ..
Ahoppy, good for you. It seems impossible to maintain a positive attitude when you are in pain and your life has been seriously compromised and you do not seem to have any control over what is happening. It takes a lot of effort, and sometimes you just don't have the energy. Coming up with jokes about it is a great idea.

What I did - on the days I did have the energy, I focused a lot on all of the things that I can be grateful for and made it a point to think positively about my situation, without being unrealistic. The more I did that, the easier it became to remain positive even when I was exhausted and in pain. It takes time and practice, but it can be done, and it's worth it.

Niki, how you cope with it is you learn how. You don't have a choice, so you just learn to cope. The first step is acceptance. Now, acceptance doesn't mean approval, or that you won't still do what you can to help yourself every day, or that you just give up or give in to it. It just means you don't waste your energy hating the problem or feeling resentful about it. this only causes more stress = more pain and depression and anxiety etc. I think of it like being angry and depressed about the weather. Can't change it, so accept it and do the best you can with today.

Now, with Fibro you can do things to make it better for yourself, but the same things don't work for everyone, so you need to use the energy you saved by not being angry or resentful to research and experiment and find what combination of things works the best for you. No one can do this for you. And you also have to just give in sometimes and lie on the couch for one day, and be OK with that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back