Newbie here, well new to the forum but not new to Fibro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny K

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
ST
I'm 56, male and p----d off, I've lived with Arthritis for near 30yrs now although only officially diagnosed for 20yrs. I've suffered with CFS and RLS for about 10yrs although only officially diagnosed for around 5yrs, and only recently diagnosed with Fibro although I've suspected it for around 5yrs. I've been passed from one doctor to another for all manner of tests and been prescribed loads of pain meds, had steroid injections, scans and physio but nothing helped effectively, and now that they agree that it's Fibro, they've sent me for therepy,, Psycho therapy that is, to help with the depression as they think I might take my own life....

Hi @Jonny K , and welcome to the forum.

Your story is not, unfortunately, all that uncommon. I don't know if it helps to know this or not, but most people with fibromyalgia have gone some kind of route similar to yours....being sent from one doctor to another, undiagnosed, nothing that really helps, and often ignored, dismissed or thought to be malingering.

Is it true that you are in danger of taking your life? If so, please know that, while this is a choice that I believe every individual is entitled to make, it may very well not be necessary for you to do that. Most people do that in order to put a permanent end to the pain, whether it
is mental or physical or both. While this is understandable, it is an overreaction most of the time simply because there are other ways to, if not get rid of the pain, at least reduce it enough that life can become worth living once again. And sometimes all that takes is time.

Basically. doctors don't help a whole lot with fibromyalgia for most people. Most drugs are either not effective or/ad have side effects that are worse than living with pain.

I have written a post about things that do help, though. For most people, there is something in my list of possibilities that will help. Not saying cure.....there's no known cure. And not saying how much it will help or how long it will take to do the necessary experimentation to find out what helps. But for most people, if they start a very methodical and careful and determined process of exploring the things I write about, something is found that helps.

I know all this because I went from having no life and pretty much not wanting to live any more to being able to manage my fibro enough that l have a life again. Not a life without fibro......but a life with it that is manageable.

Sometimes just knowing you are not alone, and that you can come here for support will help as well.
Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, and people here will try to help. We are a friendly and supportive and safe group here.
Check out y post here:

I am also new here, thanks for sharing your story. Therapy can be good always but I am avoiding due to the cost.

The main positive thing to come out of the doctors finally confirming it's Fibro, is the realisation that the depression I've kept hidden from my family for years, is due to Fibro and not just me.

The main positive thing to come out of the doctors finally confirming it's Fibro, is the realisation that the depression I've kept hidden from my family for years, is due to Fibro and not just me.
Hi @Jonny K

Indeed !! Having a name makes such a difference! I've realised why all the doctors and counselling to find out "what is wrong with me" never produced an answer nor any relief.

It hurts to be told "it's all in your head", "you have bad nerves" , "you are an hypochondriac" "you're making it up", "there's nothing wrong, just do (it) ". It's hard to take as an adult, but I got that from pre teens.

Do things that make you happy even if it's for a hour a day. Don't let the illness control you. HUGS I'm here if you ever need to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back