Pain relief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything opioid based seems to help
Ehm, where did you get that from, did your neurologist say that?
Not for fibro pain it doesn't. Maybe if you have other pain types too.

Very interested to hear what the pain psychologist says. That'll be more about reducing the additional suffering, the pain about the pain, how to get a new life despite/with the pain.

Ehm, where did you get that from
as per JayCS opioid based mediacies generally do not relieve fibromyalgia pain however they may relieve other sources of pain that you assume are from fibromyalgia ie I suffer from arthritis and use codeine to stop the pain but I still suffer from fibro which I take Lyrica which has no effect on the arthritis - we can be suffering pain from several different sources at any one time so you may be suffering from some form of pain when your fibro is in a non flare (lack of pain) and at that time the opioid may then appear that it stoped the fibro pain.

Not for fibro pain it doesn't. Maybe if you have other pain types too.
opioid based mediacies generally do not relieve fibromyalgia pain
Once again, I want to caution people not to make blanket statements like the above.

@JayCS I want to note that @Madrooster1964 was speaking from their own experience when they said "anything opioid seems to help" Not telling us what someone else said. Let's be respectful of other people's experience, and not refute what they are telling us.

Opioid medication certainly does alleviate the pain of fibromyalgia FOR SOME PEOPLE. For others, it does not.

NOTE: this is not a recommendation for opioids; as anyone who has read this forum and my posts knows, I don't recommend it for more than very rare usage, and only when the pain is so severe that it's truly necessary.

The pain clinic I used to go to regularly prescribed opioid medication for people with fibromyalgia, and clearly they wouldn't do that if it generally did nothing for fibromyalgia pain.

As with everything else, individual results will vary widely. But it will always be false to say as a general statement that any one thing doesn't help with fibromyalgia pain.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys - I've made an appointment with my local doctor to get a referral to a another neurologist - and discuss other possible drugs to try. Anything opioid based seems to help but I refuse to take them ongoing because of the addiction potential. I've also got a session with a pain psychologist tomorrow so will be interested in their opinion/advice and will happily explore that ongoing.
It is wise of you to choose not to use the opioids as an ongoing treatment. For me, opioids do lessen the pain of fibro, but like you I choose not to use them more than on rare occasions. Using them in that manner allows them to work in the most powerful way when it is really necessary, and avoids the inevitable need to take more and more over time, allowing the body to become dependent on them.

@Madrooster1964 was speaking from their own experience when they said "anything opioid seems to help"
Whoops, sorry @Madrooster1964, I misunderstood that, and also got it wrong, so please ignore. I have no own experience apart from taking tilidine once and getting a whopper of a focal seizure, which doesn't count.

Sure, here are some other pain relief options for fibromyalgia:

• Tramadol, an opioid pain reliever
  • Gabapentin, an anticonvulsant
  • Lyrica, another anticonvulsant
  • Cymbalta, a medication that is used to treat depression and anxiety, but can also be effective for pain relief in people with fibromyalgia
  • Celebrex, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)

• Tramadol, an opioid pain reliever
  • Gabapentin, an anticonvulsant
  • Lyrica, another anticonvulsant
  • Cymbalta, a medication that is used to treat depression and anxiety, but can also be effective for pain relief in people with fibromyalgia
  • Celebrex, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)

@ayassresearch , I think everyone here knows about these medications.

Tramadol is addictive. Gabapentin often has serious side effects. Lyrica also has been known to have bad side effects for a great number of people. Cymbalta, or duloxetine, ditto on the bad side effects. And ditto again for celebrex. None of these medications are actually good options for most people with fibromyalgia.

I want to ask you, why are you here?

If you are not a person who has fibromyalgia, and have come here to try to give information to those of us who do, it would benefit you to read a good deal of the posts in this forum before you make posts like the above that offer advice, because all of these things have already been discussed at length in many posts. We only go over them again for newcomers (people who have fibromyalgia and have just found this forum) when they ask. In this thread, the OP asked for other people's experiences with medications, not for a list of them.

why I said "generally"
OK, sure. But "generally" means the majority of the time, or for the majority of people, or the majority of cases, and this is not true in this case.

I feel both the opioid discussion on the one hand, and on the other whether short summaries are positive or negative is getting a bit out of proportion.

Any pain medication incl. opioids may help some people, but chances are a lot less, that's from study evidence, from many doc and guideline recommendations worldwide and also forum experiences. So I'm not totally wrong and went into self-chastising mode too quickly.
Doing that was influenced by being reminded to respect other people's experience, which on second thoughts wasn't relevant, as I didn't notice, it was a misunderstanding.
If you are trying to make a big point not really directed at me, I can't see anyone else that needs to be told that either.
The pain clinic I used to go to regularly prescribed opioid medication for people with fibromyalgia, and clearly they wouldn't do that if it generally did nothing for fibromyalgia pain.
Mine did too, but they I think simply do so because they're used to trying it for all kinds of pain. Mine did cos nothing else they could come up with helped, not cos they're anywhere one of the first in line, it was last, except MMJ which was more difficult as it was necessary to apply for it.
But "generally" means the majority of the time, or for the majority of people, or the majority of cases, and this is not true in this case.
I don't know if you've misunderstood @johnsalmon here. I agree at least with him saying that opioids in the majority of fibro cases do not seem to help much, because that's what I read. You may disagree. Then we will disagree.

@ayassresearch , I think everyone here knows about these medications.
Tramadol is addictive. Gabapentin often has serious side effects.
None of these medications are actually good options for most people with fibromyalgia.
I want to ask you, why are you here?
If you are not a person who has fibromyalgia, and have come here to try to give information to those of us who do, it would benefit you to read a good deal of the posts in this forum before you make posts like the above that offer advice, because all of these things have already been discussed at length in many posts.
All this I find unnecessary.
Ayass' introductory post remains a bit mysterious, yes. But in line with an 'interested researcher', all post contents have been perfect bits of information, put refreshingly concise.
These meds named are a good summary of most important ones that are most often considered, and all fully in line with our experiences too. They are also not just a list of "any", I find them carefully selected, just amitriptyline/Elavil is missing, whilst I think it makes sense to omit milnacipran/Savella altho FDA-approved, both considering recent research. A reminder, even if everyone knew, which I thoroughly doubt, and even if they had been mentioned before on the thread, scattered about, which they haven't.
I found it a neat "sight" for good readability, like paragraphs.
I would have chosen a different order, but that wasn't claimed.
It also wasn't said that these are good options without side effects.
I don't see it as necessary for newcomers to read so many posts just because things have already been discussed. We answer about things that have already been discussed all the time, and in no previous post were things listed this concisely, so it was definitely put in a new way. I've been one to offer this kind of information in more detail. But I think this short list invaluable as an impulse and to me comes across as positive, not negative. I can't see any implication that we don't know this already. I also don't see such an impulse putting anyone's experience in question, even if it maybe wasn't asked for. We had agreed on it being no problem to answer with information that wasn't asked for.

Above all, the wording is friendly, neutral and the content knowledgeable.
I for one would be unhappy if Ayass went off the forum rather than continue in this vein.
I can see no reason for them to leave. Some aspects may seem unnecessary to be said, but it's all short and nothing wrong.
Everyone needs to get a hang of how to write, esp. someone coming with an understanding helping outside perspective that can contribute with good knowledgeable summaries and maybe a lot more, rather than personal experience. Newcomer verve can have its own charm. And I feel it's good to encourage newcomers unless they hurt others.

Last edited:
I’m on Cymbalta. By crappy I mean fluish, extreme fatigue, and bad headaches, spacey.

I’m on Cymbalta. By crappy I mean fluish, extreme fatigue, and bad headaches, spacey.
That sounds crappy, all right.
I have to wonder if possibly the cymbalta is actually causing this. These are side effects that are known to occur with cymbalta (duloxetine) use for some people. Of course, I'm not suggesting that this is the cause, just that it might be worthwhile for you to consider. You may want to ask your doctor if you can try something else so you can find out if those symptoms are caused by the medication.

I took that medication myself earlier this year, and all of those symptoms you mention came along with it. I was so fatigued that I lost interest in doing anything at all, woke up with a headache every morning, and often felt nauseous. As soon as I stopped taking that medication I started feeling a lot better, and within 2 weeks all of those symptoms were gone. I'll never touch that medication again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back