Not open for further replies.

SweetWithSour

Distinguished member
Reason
Other
Diagnosis
01/2001
Hi I'm Ren!

I've been on this journey of fybro, chronic fatigue, anxiety and depression for over half my life. I have tried so many treatments, some mainstream, some not so mainstream, all in an effort to beat this thing and wrestle it into submission. I'm now seeing it as a dance. I look for joys in life, sometimes I have to mine deep and they are small. However, this search for the sweet in my everyday makes even those days that are tought and make you appreciate the better ones.

I've been through my share of really poor doctor interactions, friends and family not believing and not supportive. What I can say is I have made it through those, and so will you. It doesn't mean that I don't have my deep wounds from those experiences, I just now see them as part of what has built me.

Hi Ren, and welcome to the forum.
I love your concept of seeing having fibro as a dance.

It sounds as though you are doing exceptionally well with your approach and attitude toward living with fibro. I will link below my advice post, but it's entirely possible that you don't really need any of the advice there. :)

I have come to believe that attitude is the most important thing of all, because without a helpful way of thinking about it, nothing else will work as well. Of course, what is helpful varies with individuals, but being positive seems to be key.

Many people, including myself, start out fighting it like an enemy and trying, as you say, to wrestle it into submission. I always advise people away from that. For one thing, you are only fighting your own body, so how can that be helpful. For another, it's a lot of energy spent being angry and fighting that could be better spent taking good care of oneself, and finally it rarely has a positive effect to think of fibro as something to force into submission because it really can't be done with that approach.

I don't see fibro as some kind of gift, that doesn't work for me. But it's just a thing that has happened in my life, like everything else. We all want the good things and not the bad ones, but peace of mind is found in acceptance of all of it.

If there's anything we can do to support you, let us know.

Oh, thank you so much for taking the time for such a heartfelt reply! I couldn't agree with you more! I learned the hard way the waisted energy fighting against my diagnose, rather than dancing with them. For me it allows for fluidity, improvisation, and adaptations. To, at best I can, work with it and try to maximize on some of the strengths. It's taught me to slow down (yes I put up a big fight before letting go) and appreciate the small things, or things we are so busy we sometimes miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back