is physical therapy really going to help?

Normal physical therapy is harmful, sometimes very, for most of us.
To my knowledge, every physical therapy experience is different. There is no such thing as normal physical therapy. However there are different types of practitioners and types of physical therapy. You may just need to find the right fit, as you would with a doctor or anyone serving you in the medical profession. If you aren’t having a good experience with your physical therapy, try somewhere else.
As a side note when looking for the right physical therapist, they are in fact medical professionals and have had years of schooling to perfect their craft. You can ask for credentials or a bio ahead of time, you may be impressed with how long they’ve trained.
Also since my physical therapy is for fibro, it’s long term. It’s not as if I’ll suddenly be better and not have fibro. The physical therapists know this and treat accordingly. This is why I’ve been in physical therapy at the same level for years.
If I had something curable, like an ankle sprain, my experience and exercises would be very different and I would only need physical therapy for a short amount of time, until my ankle felt better.

Last edited:
Hello Mr @FeelTheBurn welcome to the forum ☕🍰 , thanks for putting what's helped , also what vitamins do you take?(I take a few too)
✨🧞‍♂️✨
Multi vitamins and made sure vitamin D
Hello Mr @FeelTheBurn welcome to the forum ☕🍰 , thanks for putting what's helped , also what vitamins do you take?(I take a few too)
✨🧞‍♂️✨
A to Z vitamin making sure B12, C and Vitamin D as brittle bones in family my choice.

Ah. Thankyou. I take combo b vitamins vitamin c (vitamin d is included in my prescription cos I'm low in ), and I don't eat meat either (so I'm probably lacking in some things) 😎

My physio asked my goals and I said to stop taking xyz and be as well as a 20 year old- I sometimes wonder if they are part physio and part social worker.

To my knowledge, every physical therapy experience is different. There is no such thing as normal physical therapy. However there are different types of practitioners and types of physical therapy. You may just need to find the right fit, as you would with a doctor or anyone serving you in the medical profession. If you aren’t having a good experience with your physical therapy, try somewhere else.
Generally, I do sort of agree - thanks for putting it in perspective. 👐
I don't want to discourage from trying. But I think a word of warning and caution and understanding for the many difficult experiences possible is important.

The following in short: Mainstream, conventional physiotherapy, paid for by insurance, is what I meant as opposed to the many alternative holistic types.
Are you saying that it was conventional physiotherapy that has helped you?

First example for what I meant with "normal physical therapy" was on the one hand what's here called "physiotherapy" - non-specialized "good" practices, small or big, physiotherapists who believe they know exactly how fibromyalgia works and what I need to do, and don't listen me saying I know different and I'm different - until I groan and cry and then get consternated and don't know what to do, then suddenly recommend I pace like I think best, what I was saying all along. Pacing is difficult if there's a single person in front of me or a group telling me what to do or suggesting I should be able to do something which makes me cry in pain and nausea (lots of old people, surely I can.... )
Same later in an inpatient rheum/fibro clinic for two weeks with about 15 forms of physical therapy where I was wondering if the others around me had something else, not fibro, cos they were able to do things with long movements like tai chi or Nordic Walking, I wasn't. After a while I caught on everyone in all the groups I was in did have fibro. So apparently mine was more severe. I was always the odd one out, regardless of which form of physical therapy we were doing. Worst was one to one. Almost every single normal thing they tried on me went wrong. Osteopathy was one of the only things that was OK, which I regularly got anyway at home, but no way do I call that normal physical therapy. Same with deep tissue massage (strangely, cos it hurt, but then felt better). Towards the end of the two weeks my main physiotherapist gave up and asked to put me in a hanging/traction apparatus, and I thought it might be the least bad, but after 5 minutes I desperately needed to move and was so glad when that torture was up. I'd already given him a brush-off so many times I didn't feel I could do it again (silly I know).

Not sure what you'd call what I call "normal" physical therapy.
After having having in total about 25 physiotherapists for fibro and 10 before that for my back and other things pre-fibro. None of these would have been good for my fibro. And these are what I mean by "normal" - mainstream, conventional, generally accepted, paid for by all insurance...
Then there's the alternative physical therapy, not generally accepted, not generally paid for (here at least): Osteopathy, cryotherapy, acupressure, TCM influenced, myofascial release, Jones technique...

B. PHYSICAL (1. Exercise, 2. Manual, 3. Meridians 4. Breath 5. Cold/Heat, 6. Electro, 7. Water, 8. Devices, 9. Positioning, 10. Sports, 11. Non-touch)

B.1 Physical therapy exercises B.2 Manual / Massages and Bodywork
Body Realignment by Jan Trewartha (incorporates aspects of Fascial Release, Orthobionomy and Positional Release)
Bowen Technique
Connective tissue massage
Dry needling (trigger point dry needling)
Manual therapy = manipulation (muscles, joints)
Myofascial release MFR, self-myofascial release) Foam roller video
Myofascial trigger point massage, = MTrPs, cf. PRT
Osteopathy (incl. Counterstrain, Positional Release Technik PRT/Jones Technik - gentler!, craniosacral therapy = CST, visceral therapy, parietal therapy)
Postural Integration (form of body psychotherapy, cf. Gestalt therapy)
Reflexology (incl. foot reflexology, ear reflexology like ear-acupressure and ear-acupuncture)
Rolfing
Scar and Bonework (Sharon Wheeler)
Shiatsu (Japanese form of massage)
Trager approach

B.3 Meridian system (Asian): Acupuncture, acupressure
Acupuncture (best only few needles though!)
Ear-acupuncture
Acupressure (therapist)
Acupressure points / palpation points (self help, see devices)
Ear-acupressure (Penzel)

B.4 Breath
Pranayama yoga breathing exercises (… Yoga),
Wim Hof’s breathing-exercise, Wim Hof Method, WHM (Yoga-influenced)

B.5 Cold / Heat (sometimes moist)
B.5.1 Whole body
B.5.1.1 Cold showering or ice baths inspired by Wim Hof, cf. WHM/breath-holding exercise) vs. warm showers (or baths, e.g. with magnesium = Epsom salts; mudbaths) or alternating (e.g. after sauna) (form of hydrotherapy)
B.5.1.2 Whole body cryotherapy (cold barrel, cold chamber, cold sauna) or heat chamber. Cold down to -150°C (-240°F) for 3 mins.
B.5.1.3 heated mattress pad
B.5.1.4 blankets,
B.5.1.5 sauna
B.5.1.6 Sun! 🌞 (if you’re OK with it)
B.5.1.7 Acupressure or acupuncture to stimulate temperature tolerance
B.5.2 Parts of the body
B.5.2.1 Hand grain baths (15’, canola, alternatively rice, spelt, wheat) cold or hot.
B.5.2.2 Topical/localized cryo therapy: = Partial body cryotherapy = PBC or heat (e.g. using an air hose)
B.5.2.3 Smaller Cold pads / ice packs or heat pads, hot water bottle, grain cushions (e.g. spelt, cherry, wheat), or gel pads for either, wherever necessary, bag of frozen peas.

B.6 Electrotherapy
Careful: Triggers focal seizures (that’d be me)
Cranial electrotherapy stimulation (CES, e.g. “Alpha-Stim” (R)"
Electroacupuncture
Microcurrent unit (gentler than a TENS unit), Microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulator
TENS unit (pads) or TENS pen.
TMS, Transcranial magnetic stimulation (= brain magnetic stimulation)) and transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS)
Bioresonance diagnosis/therapy

B.7 Water therapy, hydrotherapy
moving in certain ways in water (e.g. “aquajogging”, “aquafit” “aqua therapy”) cf. B.1.2
using hot or cold water etc. cf. B.4

B.8 Mechanical devices
B.8.1 Acupressure devices
Cupping
Foam roller for B.2 MFR
Footwear change for skeletal problems
Gum shield, mouth guard, tooth guard: for grinding teeth, bruxism
Insoles change for skeletal problems
Kinesio tape/taping
Nose strips for better breathing, more oxygen
Traction

B.9 Changing positions regularly
Arms up
Feet up = legs up
Lying down; finding new lying positions (pillows etc.)
Standing working station (bar stool, bar table)

B.10 Sports (incl. for stress...)
Cycling, bike
Swimming
Walks
Weight training
Workout. For Muscles, tendons, fasciae, joints, breathing, overall.[/details]

B.11 Non-touch (pseudo-scientific)
Breathwork respiration techniques
Energy healing (New Age)
Reiki
Therapeutic touch (non-contact therapeutic touch, NCTT)

As a side note when looking for the right physical therapist, they are in fact medical professionals and have had years of schooling to perfect their craft. You can ask for credentials or a bio ahead of time, you may be impressed with how long they’ve trained.
Also since my physical therapy is for fibro, it’s long term. It’s not as if I’ll suddenly be better and not have fibro. The physical therapists know this and treat accordingly. This is why I’ve been in physical therapy at the same level for years.
If I had something curable, like an ankle sprain, my experience and exercises would be very different and I would only need physical therapy for a short amount of time, until my ankle felt better.
Well, my many experiences are different. If anyone does much more they will have specialized in an alternative type of physical therapy.
And only these, my alternative physical therapists, tried to treat fibro differently.

But in a similar vein: to me good alternative physiotherapists are far better for us than docs are. But although 6 months of osteopathy and 1.5 years of cryotherapy and acupressure did help a bit, that "training" and youtube and my own sense for my body & symptoms is where I'm at and what is far better for me. After 1.5 years only doing self-applied physical therapy (but lots of it) I doubt I'll ever go to a physiotherapist again.

Last edited:
If anyone makes you wanna cry in pain I'm gonna come over there and b**ch slap em 😄👋🏻

Now I doubt being cured is possible, however I have the following belief :-
The consultant and patient having an open mind and good faith with hope for a positive outcome are a key part of the situation.
I believe high stress and injuries cause the illness

Small victories are key to better outcomes, with a illness like nailing jelly to the wall- compassion and hopefulness are key.

Having lived 3 foot from a toilet and belief that my life was over- a doctor willing to try xyz got me from rock bottom to professional struggler over several years.

I was fortunate that those I worked with propped me on a chair and I had an income I couldn't work for.

My best physiotherapy is putting on some 80's music and dancing up a storm in my kitchen. It loosens up my muscles and improves my mood because it's FUN. Oh, and FREE. ;-)
AND you don't have to leave the house, and you can do any amount you want and then stop. Sometimes even 30 seconds of movement will help you both mentally and physically, and no one is watching.

Any exercise is good it gets your endorphines up. But if it doesn't work for you then try and do things that make you feel good and happy. Theres no one pain medicine that helps with all the symptoms of fm and its better to take it slow and gradually test different things that make you feel good. Like icing or heat or a bath or gentle massages. Ive tried everything even weed gummies in America. It takes time to figure out how to mange pain.

Hi LunaCinder & group,
I may be biased. A neurologist and a rheumatologist recommended physio, and I haven't gone yet. I've been to physio years before my fibro Dx, for another issue. In my case (may be different for others) improvements from classic physio were not that noticeable. Personally, I did not like the "gym environment", which i think is a sensory issue... people, noise, bodies, lights (ewww). I found that with some male physiotherapists it is a strength contest...pushing too hard on my stiff muscles/bones. Female physiotherapists or masseuses seemed to have better intuition; knowing when to ease off - the same for chiropractors.

I wish i had a garden (I for sure would buy a trampoline, that would be a fun exercise 😆)

I may be biased.
Oh, then I'm just as biased, everything you've said is also my experience! But almost no help from female physios either, it's manual therapists we can learn from.

On youtube I don't have a preference for male vs. female physios etc., because I filter what they say to fit my needs, as I know best when to ease off.

I love its variety of Western and Asian perspectives and ideas. Even tho it can be tedious searching for the treatments that suit me best, I do enjoy looking into the different worlds. Hansaji Yogendra is someone we can learn a lot from.

I just looked at Inuit strength exercises and had a look what comes up if I search for "pain exercises japanese". I'm sure there's much more on there than we can imagine.

Back