Medical Marijuana - Any positive experience w Fibro Pain?

This is the first post I went on so thought I'd comment. I wanted to just add a few things, I didn't read through EVERY reply, but a fair bit. And happy everyone is discussing ways that it might be helpful, and some providing proper caution or advice to help work through the gray areas of medicinal cannabis use.

1) I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but just in case: I personally found the best methods for me so far are the topicals and patches that have become available here. Everyone is indeed different, but they're worth a shot mainly because they're not ingested and don't provide a high typical of smoking or edibles. There are also decent bath bombs out there that some may find useful for those tougher days. The patches I've gotten are transdermal, so I'd still use caution to gauge how it affects you. Since I'm trying to stop smoking, and edibles aren't the best fit for me, I find those products some of the most effective. Also if it matters, in my experience with topicals and such, many find success with CBD varieties. But I personally found more ease with THC or THC heavy products. For me, CBD tended to deal more with the muscular system, while THC seems to work better on my nerve pain. Even with those products, start low, go slow if it's new to you.

2) There are a multitude of products for smoking or eating (including drinks and drink powders, like hot chocolate or tasteless to add to any drink) that contain other chemical compounds other than THC and CBD. For example, CBG (typically daytime use), CBN (typically nighttime use), and Delta-8 THC (little sister version of your typical THC, aka Delta-9), among others being discovered and utilized for medical and/or therapeutic use. Some products heavier in those compounds might be effective, my best advice is to do extra research for yourself and learn a little bit about cannabinoids, terpenes, and what methods are available in your area. There's even an inhaler now that is similar to your typical asthma inhaler.

3) There are circumstances where cannabis CAN interact with medications. For example, patients on blood thinners should be wary of CBD products. There are some studies on this and especially for heart patients that require blood thinners to stay stable, CBD can interfere with the effectiveness of those medications. It can also be overused, and many develop a tolerance over time. While it is relatively harmless to most, always use caution and if on medications of any sort, gauge your own self and how it affects you. Keep up with your medical team or doctor, and I know a lot who keep journals to gauge strains, oils or capsule usage, and their effectiveness. Guarantee you every journal is different of those peeps, takes a lil experimenting but I'll repeat the same advice to anyone new to it. Start low, go slow.

You don't have to be a scientist, and especially considering there is so much new age things you can know about cannabis, there simply are no stupid questions. Most budtenders or professionals are super happy to share their expertise and advice.

Sorry if any of that was already said, but hope that's helpful to anyone asking to know more about it ^.^

@Nookster , thank you for your informative post. I was unaware that CBD can interact in a poor way with blood thinners, and this is important information to have out there.

@sunkacola You bet, I can understand it can a tricky subject to navigate. With legalization in a lot of states/countries now, there seems to be more questions than answers. I've been a medical patient since 2009 or so, and worked in the rec industry in Canada for 4 years before fibro took me out. Happy to offer whatever I've learned to whoever needs it. Also happy to keep learning new things about it too! We're all in the right place for a reason ^.^

Hi all, I have been using MM for almost 2 years.
It works for me. I use .5 ml of THC as I go to bed. Helps with sleep and pain for me. I still wake but i can go back to sleep. Never use to sleep more than an hour. Made for very long night and getting up to lay in recliner.
Also use CBD 3 times a day at 1ml doses. I did start at a super low dose of the CBD and dr very slowly upped it till we found a dose right for me.
Some days I miss the morning and a lunch dose depending what and where I am. It helps the pain but not as much as the THC.
I find it does help me with depression .

Personally, I find that a Delta 8 indica strain is most effective for pain. If you also suffer from clinical anxiety as I do, Indica is also best. I use both strains for different situations, depending upon my medical need, but I use Indica much more often since it is a superb painkiller and anxiolytic for me in combination with my prescription meds, or sometimes even alone.

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, DOSING IS CRITICAL, especially for someone like me who is very sensitive to drugs of all kinds.

Below are some notes I took when I was researching cannabis:

Indica
Indica is a sweet strain for smoothing out the edginess tension can cause. It is hailed as the best strain for anxiety because indica typically has higher levels of CBD (cannabidiol) than THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive compound in cannabis. Because this strain produces such an effective feeling of calm and serenity, it can also be a great option for sleep. People with nausea or chronic pain may also want to try an indica for its pain-quelling qualities.

Sativa
On the other hand, sativa strains tend to be more energizing and uplifting. They contain higher levels of THC, which can produce a lovely euphoric high. These strains are known for their cerebral effects that can stimulate creativity and enhance focus and motivation. Sativa might help ease social anxiety, but it might not be your go-to strain to aid in restful sleep; it tends to be more suitable for landing an elevated, energized mood rather than getting totally chill, relaxing vibes. Sativas are often described as providing a “head high” that can promote happiness and well-being without the sensation of intoxication.

There are also a multitude of hybrid strains available that I imagine combine the best of both strains to varying degrees. I have never used a hybrid though so I cannot comment.

Medical marijuana is used as a pain relief by lots of people, including me. I had some back pain in the summer of 2021, and my doctor recommended I use medical marijuana.

Like many others, I use medical marijuana to relieve my suffering. This winter, while skiing, I got a leg injury, and my doctor advised me to utilize medicinal marijuana. I was using it via an Air Bar Diamond Box disposable pod. And to be honest, it was life-saving because sometimes I couldn't sleep because of the pain.

Last summer, I messed up my leg, and my doc recommended medical marijuana. I relied on a disposable pods for relief. Honestly, it was a game-changer, especially when pain kept me tossing and turning. I'm sold on the benefits of medicinal marijuana, but hey, always best to chat with your own doc to see if it's a fit for you. Take care!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sitting here soooooooo greatful for my med card today. I've been experiencing terrible bone pain, spasams and muscle cramps the last few days. I made my way out of bed, no easy task with the muscle weakness and made a joint of this incredible banana og. It has taken my bone pain away, my muscles relaxed, mind calm and just comfortably enjoy all the activity outside around the pond.

This is a unicorn weed, I won't say it will work for you (to my flower smokers) like it has for me. Also the next batch around it may not work like this one. But right now, in this moment, I have a brief relief of pain. Not experienced one this good for me before, aka why I called it unicorn weed 😁

I'm sitting here so grateful for my med card today. I've been experiencing terrible bone pain, spasms and muscle cramps the last few days. I made my way out of bed, no easy task with the muscle weakness and made a joint of this incredible banana og. It has taken my bone pain away, my muscles relaxed, mind calm and just comfortably enjoy all the activity outside around the pond.

This is a unicorn weed, I won't say it will work for you (to my flower smokers) like it has for me. Also the next batch around it may not work like this one. But right now, in this moment, I have a brief relief of pain. Not experienced one this good for me before, aka why I called it unicorn weed 😁
@SweetWithSour glad you found one that works. My advise might be to go back to the dispensary and buy as much as you can (afford) before that "Batch" runs out. I just did that. We're just off the 420 flower holiday so there are probably good deals still out there.

Also, ask the budtender to find an alternative for you which closely resembles the previous batch you had. Most know about Indica and Sativa strains. What is so very important is not so much high the THC % is. The terpene types and concentrations are the big deal. Each terpene has a unique medical property.

COMMON PRIMARY TERPENES:

Pinene- This compound is commonly derived from the resin in pine trees. Like trees, in other plants, it also has that wonderful outdoorsy, earthy aroma. As a therapeutic remedy, it can be used as an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and bronchial dilator. Haze Berry, OG Kush, and Blue Dream tend to have a higher amount of the cannabis terpene, Pinene.

Humulene– This is another outdoorsy, woodsy scent. Two main medicinal uses for this compound are as an appetite suppressant and an anti-inflammatory. Humulene terpenes can be found in marijuana strains such as Gelato, Atlantis, and Sour Diesel.

Limonene– With its bright, citrusy scent, Limonene’s aroma is a mood elevator. Its uplifting qualities help to reduce anxiety and depression. Another therapeutic property is as a digestive aid. This compound is found in Wedding Cake, Quantum Kush, and Berry White.

Myrcene– Be prepared if you use a strain of marijuana with this terpene. It’s known for an overall body relaxation, also known as “Couch-Lock.” Another fundamental property is the ability to enhance absorption through the skin and to also increase the number of cannabinoid substances in the brain. More cannabinoids in the brain give the user a sense of euphoria. The scent is an earthy, clove-like smell. Marijuana strains with this terpene include OG Kush, Girl Scout Cookies, and Grape Ape. Myrcene is also a chemical in hops, the major component in beer.

Budtenders are like doctors. Some are knowledgeable. Some not so much. These youngsters with green hair, tats, and nose rings are all nice but not everybody just wants to just "get high".

Congrats on your med card. The tax here in MA is 20%. I've been able to save money while I trial and error what works best. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
My advise might be to go back to the dispensary and buy as much as you can (afford) before that "Batch" runs out
Hi Jaksoja- fantastic advice. It's gone for now. I wouldn't be able to make a purchase anyway as I used up my allotment for flower for the month. I buy my full Rx for the month in one shop.
What is so very important is not so much high the THC % is. The terpene types and concentrations are the big deal. Each terpene has a unique medical property.
Agree 100% Each strain is unique and terpines play a very big role in that. They impact the smell and flavor too.

I keep my weed bar very well stocked. I have strains for nausea, pain, upper body melt (sholder, neck, chest and upper back), one that is incredible for cramps and low back pain, to sleep, to have some energy for social functions, giggles, anxiety and so much more.

The different canaboids also play a huge role along with the terpines. The canaboids go beyond what is most known THC and CBD.

Strains are unique and not ever person will have the same reaction. Batches can also very. I have my core few strainsthat I always try and keep in stock. I try to do my research before going to the despenser. I put my order together before pick up, or I'll have it delivered.

Thank you for the terps listed out and some strains that fall in each category! I'm know that will be extremely helpful to individuals reading the thread!

It has taken me time to learn what works for me for what symptoms. At the start, I would turn my weed container upside down and write what it helped me with, side effects, indica and sativa %s (this I don't judge so much anymore), and if it was a good one for me for AM, midday or PM. This way I could use my weed bar like a medicine cabinet if you will.

I've now become very familiar with strains and lineage. I'm much more comfortable selecting the strain that will provide me what I'm looking for regarding effects and relief. It took me a few years to learn by, some incredibly knowledge weed friends, my budtenders, and fantastic websites.

It has been a large learning curve for me. Trying strains, capturing my results, learning if it is a fast onset or a creeper, and even the duration of effects. I know I'm still learning 5 or 6 years into having my med card. I didn't smoke before, other than an occasional passed joint or bong.

💚 my medical marijuana has helped me a lot. Each person is different!

My recommendation to anyone starting out is to trying a lot of different strains. Capture your results. Record things like effect, side effects, terpines, THC and CBD %, onset & duration, and if/when this may be best used. Refer to the incredible post by @jaksoja. The knowledge captured in the terpines section is great information! Websites like Leafly, Wikileaf, and Canna Connection are some good places for reference.

Back