Pets

My old cat Betsan was quite a character. A bit wild and not very friendly but she loved a tickle on the head and showed affection in her own way. @a gentle voice those pics are great. Cats are cute and hilarious at times. My brothers dog Buddy is great company. If he hears me groning as I sit down he'll jump up next to me and make a fuss.
2013-05-01 11.17.32.jpg PXL_20221021_170609701.jpg

Last edited:
If he hears me groning as I sit down he'll jump up next to me and make a fuss.
Both of my dogs are sensitive creatures, but my young dog who just turned a year old is so tuned in to me that it's amazing, and he has been like that from day one, even when he was just a young puppy. If I am in unusually bad pain, or feeling really down or hurt by something, I don't even have to make a sound for him to know it. He will come and look at me with eyes that are clearly saying he wishes I were feeling better. He will lick my hand or my face, and sometimes even do some little move he knows I like so that I will smile and pay attention to him, which always makes me feel comforted.

I am grateful to all of you, @SweetWithSour , @Badger , @a gentle voice , and everyone else on the forum who shares my love of animals and understands how important they are in our lives. It is lovely to have that in common with all of you.......something beautiful, and not only our medical problems!

I am also so very grateful to my animals, and also to all of the beautiful animals that you all have, for the love and companionship they give to us. I only wish that every human being on earth could have the opportunity to love and be loved by a special animal. I know that living with and loving and being loved by animals has made me a better person, although there's a lot of room for improvement to that in me, and I will always be one of those works in progress. Sometimes I fall very short of being the person I want to be and wish I were all of the time, but somehow my animals love me anyway, and it reminds me to try harder to be a good person.

I think if everyone had the experience of loving an animal and receiving their love in return, it would make the world a better place.

@Badger your Betsan looks like my boy Paddy. A huge fellow. I chose to wait for the Rescue centre to get two black cats in for adoption as black cats are the hardest to rehome. a lot of historic superstition may be to blame, and apparently they don't photo well for social media posts! Your lad contradicts that. Where did his name come from?

@sunkacola your post just nailed it for me. Animals have an uncanny knack of being in tune with our feelings. Our old collie would sometimes just lay her head on a knee to show comfort, or almost dance when there was happiness in the air. Again, she was a rescue dog, a real beautiful soul.
I feel it's never a right but a privilege to share our lives with animals. My life never feels complete without at least one animal in our home. Most people in our small village know me as the animal woman. Even asking for advice on wild life, and I can never pass a dog or cat without saying hello, as long as the animal Is in agreement. I know all the dogs by name. Not so much the humans... And I talk aloud to the birds in the garden, thank them for singing, and know most of the local horses by name too, and wave at them when I pass by😂

@SBee My late mum gave her the Welsh name. We couldn't pick up Betsan for fear of a scratch, yet on coming into the room she would give me a gentle bite on the hand, say "brrr" and find a spot to curl up.

I love the little brrp cat hellos. I also love that dogs are so exuberant in their joy at seeing us, whilst we have to work hard for cat affection, we feel honoured at just being allowed in the same space as them!

Beston is nearly an anagram of Baste, which is a random fact I remember of cat being an Egyptian God ( Goddess?). I have many 're son facts, even when brain fog is bad and so literally cannot remember the word for a table.😠

Read someone once said the " Egyptians revered cats as being Gods. And cats have never forgotten this."
Sums up many acts attitudes- and I still adore them.😻😻

Both of my dogs are sensitive creatures, but my young dog who just turned a year old is so tuned in to me that it's amazing, and he has been like that from day one, even when he was just a young puppy. If I am in unusually bad pain, or feeling really down or hurt by something, I don't even have to make a sound for him to know it. He will come and look at me with eyes that are clearly saying he wishes I were feeling better. He will lick my hand or my face, and sometimes even do some little move he knows I like so that I will smile and pay attention to him, which always makes me feel comforted.

I am grateful to all of you, @SweetWithSour , @Badger , @a gentle voice , and everyone else on the forum who shares my love of animals and understands how important they are in our lives. It is lovely to have that in common with all of you.......something beautiful, and not only our medical problems!

I am also so very grateful to my animals, and also to all of the beautiful animals that you all have, for the love and companionship they give to us. I only wish that every human being on earth could have the opportunity to love and be loved by a special animal. I know that living with and loving and being loved by animals has made me a better person, although there's a lot of room for improvement to that in me, and I will always be one of those works in progress. Sometimes I fall very short of being the person I want to be and wish I were all of the time, but somehow my animals love me anyway, and it reminds me to try harder to be a good person.

I think if everyone had the experience of loving an animal and receiving their love in return, it would make the world a better place.
Beautiful words. I love animals so much, they are truly innocent creatures who are incapable of ill intent. They're certainly more predictable and comforting than humans, that's for sure LOL! @Badger your pets are adorable, thanks for sharing!

For all animal lovers, I encourage you to also consider wild animals who may need our help. I'm very interested in conservation organizations and sanctuaries around the world, especially for "big cats" like lions, tigers, mountain lions, jaguars, cheetahs and more. They're so mistreated in the wild and as "exotic pets" or entertainment props. It's worth checking out some organizations like the WWF or documentaries and YouTube channels like Big Cat Rescue (my favorite!) where you can learn about wild animals and how to help from home 😊

I agree @a gentle voice there's too much animal cruelty in both our own countries and abroad. I used to be actively involved in animal protection marches etc ( and many political ones too) whilst my marching days are over, I will always step in if I witness ill treatment of animal of any kind and am a keen petitioner to parliament with adding my name to petitions to attempt to change or add in new protective laws.

Back