Worried about diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

LunaCinder

Reason
DX FIBRO
Country
US
Hello all! I hope you are well, and that the summer is treating you kindly. I'm Luna (they/them, 22) and while I'm not new to fibro, I am new to this forum.
I was unofficially diagnosed awhile back, but they officially put it on my record last year at the rheumatologist. I am worried they are trying to push some non-fibro symptoms as fibro, because "I'm too young to have an autoimmune" (but 6 of them run in my family).
I have the debilitating pain, sensitivity, bruising, nausea, and fatigue of fibro. But since I had covid in 2020 before the vaccines existed I have had new, different symptoms. I have had a butterfly rash, sudden intense vertigo, dull aches that didn't match my former fibro symptoms, weird rashes, and some more I can't remember off the top of my head. Additionally, my white blood count was extremely high and I had blood indicators that correspond with Lupus/Rheumatoid Arthritis. I don't think I have rheum., as I don't have the swelling joints, but I match my best friend's mother's illness symptoms almost exactly and she has both fibromyalgia and Lupus. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for trying to sort this kind of situation out?
I know I have had fibromyalgia symptoms since childhood, but that some of these symptoms are new to me. My fibromyalgia may have just gotten more severe after almost dying from covid, but I'm also concerned they missed an autoimmune diagnosis. I'm asking here because I think I want advice from others with more experience before making decisions on going to a doctor, as I can't afford to go if I'm just being overly suspicious rather than making a valid point.

Hi LunaCinder, and welcome to the forum.
What a nice name.

Basically, any new or different symptom should always be checked out with a doctor because the tendency of patients and medical staff alike is to attribute any and everything to fibromyalgia, because the symptoms can be so widely varied. Doing that can, as you suspect, lead to missing something else that could be going on and that could and should be treated separately/differently from fibro. So I would support your going to your doctor and asking for these new symptoms to be checked out. If you feel dismissed by your doctor or feel they are not listening to you, see if you can change doctors. It's important to have someone who will deal with each new thing rather than just lumping everything together. And, as far as I know, there's no age limitation on when a person can develop an autoimmune disorder.

I would be especially concerned about the sudden intense vertigo, which could indicate a number of things not fibro-related. If it happens often, it is pretty dangerous so best to get that checked out thoroughly.

Well, I may have some similarities.... many additional symptoms from the jabs & CoV and other things, each different. And there's always been a slightly suspicion floating around that there's something autoimmune, but nothing that fits. So a great deal of the jab side effects along with all my life long intolerances can be explained by MCAS. Some newer symptoms can't really. My GP has sent me to get cancer checked, and I asked them if they can see anything autoimmune, no results yet. But what I think up to now is that I, and praps you, have something roughly in this area, as yet unknown. Or some might simply lump it together with MCAS, rather than fibro. Which doesn't get me far tho, except knowing it's an immune system overreaction - I still have to treat each symptom singly.... maybe you too? Especially "while we're waiting".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back