DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2019
Country
AU
State
VI
@Overcomer had this but it is closed.

I tend to forget things, get distracted, walk out of the kitchen and forget I have something cooking (been like this for decades).

One of my favourites is a Crock Pot, I think they are called slow cookers now. The old one has a timer that drops it to low after a certain length of time. No idea what is out there now, but at least they don't boil over and burn as easily as on the stove. Food just gets very well done sometimes :giggle:

Steamer! Timer! Say no more :giggle:

Air Fryer. I don't like what they say about the stuff in the coating, but I think it's a bit late for that now . Very handy machine.

Microwave....anything with a timer works ;)

Bread machines. Just put the ingredients in and switch on, it does the lot !!!

Just another thing I do. I think most people have little mysteries hiding in the back of the 'fridge and freezer at times.

I've been dating things, mostly, for decades now. Except when I "know" I won't forget :giggle: Fuzzy surprises prove me wrong :LOL:

After several different methods, I now use masking tape, the creamy-white one, and write with a felt pen. Folding a couple of mm under gives a tab enabling easy removal.
It handles dampness without fading, can be easily read unlike the finer pen or pencil, and the tape does not damage containers.

Fuzzy surprises prove me wrong :LOL:
Myself I make sure to regularly empty my whole dairy shelf by not buying anything new.
I also order my stuff by date every week or two.
Similar my veggies and apples, but out in the open. After my wife kept complaining it looked terrible, I found a big white pretty wicker-type basket, put 5 open preserving jars in it and sort things into them, so making that area look picturesque / arty ("still life"). So it's good to tend that for looks too, which helps not too getting "fuzzy"...

On the other hand, I'm thinking about using/adapting your method for my wife's 3 fridge shelves: You use the masking tape to write the expiry and the opening date on a product in big writing, is that right?

My wife has the other 3 shelves (for various stuff and the veggies for the guinea pigs) and has the need to keep everything stuffed full most of the time and eating by fancy not necessity, but is annoyed by the side effects.
(I actually like being "forced" by necessity so I don't have to choose, no option paralysis.)
So I have an alarm for myself once a month to check her shelves in fridge and cupboards, clean the backs, the fridge 'drain' & the sides. And as I still forget, regularly asks me to sort that out if something's getting wet. I delight in the success of fuzzy surprises which justify what otherwise seems intrusive. It's a bit embarrassing for her, but she actually prefers I find things rather than her. I do try bringing things to the front, or into my shelf, to either eat myself or discuss.
(When living with others I used to say/decide if anything is past expiry date it's due for me to try. Now being mindful of sustainability and realizing all dairy is usually still edible months after expiry, I've changed that to one month after expiry date - if not open of course.)
(Because I eat only unprocessed foods I only need that one shelf in the fridge. And because I don't tolerate too cold foods well, like too hot, I prefer as much as possible outside. Since getting MCAS I tend to keep things fresher, so there's not so much histamine build up in them.)

I tend to forget things, get distracted, walk out of the kitchen and forget I have something cooking
Definitely, that's me all the time.
I don't have/use any gadgets, don't like them or having to clean them, am suspicious of microwave emission. So my workaround is making sure there's something in the kitchen that attracts me, mainly my laptop, as well as the cooker hood on, the ventilator's loud and annoying enough to remind me there's still something on the stove.
And I keep cooking times down. Cabbage needs to be 'done', but carrots etc. I just cook so easier to chew and swallow, I do prefer the raw taste, so I lately only steam them 10-15 mins, then turn off. And usually I starting with the carrots chop up other things, last of all apples, and by that time the carrots are 'ready' anyway.

You use the masking tape to write the expiry and the opening date on a product in big writing, is that right?
yay! I got the quote (not sure how lol )

Varied. If leftovers, the date I put them in the fridge or freezer. Yes, as the writing is so obscure, I have done that with best-by and opened-dates too. I also write what's in it with freezer containers and if the fridge containers are not clear.

By the sounds of it, I think for your wife, it may be extremely helpful. I don't have heaps in the fridge, but things still sneak to the back. I write large enough that it stands out on opening the door, not needing to 'peer' at the items. I also do the same for some cupboard items, if not being used fairly quickly.

My problem is, I'll open the door, and the overwhelm just trying to decide what to have for a meal leads me to shut the door again. Seeing dates can prompt me to eat something before I lose it. Sometimes that works. Sometimes I just get confused and leave it, a difficulty in simply making a decision. I've been like that my whole life, no idea why, very annoying.

I use UHT milk, and date the carton when I open it, as it can take me a week to use it all.

I have a timer for reminding me when cooking, but I don't always remember to put it on. I have a steamer that is the stand-alone type, as well as the double saucepan type. I now use the stand-alone most of the time, because of the auto switch off.

Guinea pigs are sweet :)

By the sounds of it, I think for your wife, it may be extremely helpful.
I've actually started already. I was looking for some bread which we keep together in a bag in a cooler area. Of 2 of 4 paper bags in it, 2 had beautifully colourful "fuzz" in them (cos of being in hospital I couldn't check, she had enough to think about). Of the other two, one which she asked me to eat up, one had an expiry date. So with a Sharpie I now carry with me all the time to label all kinds of things I wrote "-28.8." on the plastic. In the fridge, on the olives I opened yesterday "15.8.-". And 4 yogurts "-2.8." - good to look, because the expiry date was hidden on 2. If the dash gets smudged easily I'll think of another symbol.
Good to start with my own things or common domain,,. ;)

If the dash gets smudged easily I'll think of another symbol.
(getting good at this ;) )

Depending on what and time, I may write 'Th 17" or "17 Au" but with long term, well, anything in the freezer, I try to always remember the year. Amazing the things I find, day and month, got no idea what year. That " I'll remember" trick :giggle:

anything in the freezer
I have to leave that part to the Lordess of the Freezer. ;) Don't use it myself anyway. Only thing I have to do with it is de-frosting.
got no idea what year. That " I'll remember" trick :giggle:
So often I now put the year on things more and more. E.g. on my blog. Fog be thanked for that!

So often I now put the year on things more and more. E.g. on my blog. Fog be thanked for that!
yay, found the shortcut :giggle:

In high school, one teacher drummed into us to put complete date on all of our work, including on each page. He said it's a very good life-long habit as time goes quicker that we think, and even during the year, checking back on things, the dates were so handy.

I've adhered to that religiously for work, but finding it applies equally to personal (especially freezers !!! )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back