Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/1997
Country
US
State
PA
Many of us FMS women suffer from vulvodynia ... pain, itching, etc. in genitals. I've just learned using WHITE, BLEACHED toilet paper and tissues just adds to the problem. I've been diagnosed for over 30 years; here's the first real relief I've found: I now use UNBLEACHED BAMBOO toilet paper and tissues. Not only does white tissue use bleach, it uses formaldehyde to strengthen ... which is known to cause irriation as well as cancer. Hope this helps some. If anyone has other relief treatments, please let us know. It has helped me VERY much to share with other sufferers. Best wishes:)

Fortunately @PhillyFibro this is not something I have to live with myself. But I don't know if this may help you or others, but my gp recommended using coconut oil to help with external dryness for menopause symptoms. As this is a natural gentle substance it may help others to ease some of those discomfort?
Like most women I know not to use anything harsh or perfumed in such a sensitive area but this works for me. Organic coconut oil is what I use, comes in a solid form in a jar but becomes more liquid with the warmth of the fingers.
May be worth some looking into to see if it may be suitable?

Thank you, SBee, for your quick reply ... and the information about coconut oil ! Much appreciated: cheers :)

Emu oil has worked fantastically for me for this problem. Available on Amazon for a very reasonable price.

Ah, thanks Donna ... I saw it advertised, but was unsure. Will check it out. THANKS :)

Many of us FMS women suffer from vulvodynia ... pain, itching, etc. in genitals. I've just learned using WHITE, BLEACHED toilet paper and tissues just adds to the problem. I've been diagnosed for over 30 years; here's the first real relief I've found: I now use UNBLEACHED BAMBOO toilet paper and tissues. Not only does white tissue use bleach, it uses formaldehyde to strengthen ... which is known to cause irriation as well as cancer. Hope this helps some. If anyone has other relief treatments, please let us know. It has helped me VERY much to share with other sufferers. Best wishes:)
I can highly recommend Coconut Oil for pain etc, it's miraculous how it instantly works but hadn't heard or even realised that White Toilet paper adds to the problem, though I had my suspicions.

I'm not an online shopper as I struggle with Tech so can you/or anyone tell me if I can access/buy unbleached Bamboo Toilet paper from any specific retailers here in England?

Hello Rainbow ... and thanks for your advice. :) I did a quick search for retailers of unbleached bamboo toilet paper in the UK ... and only found offers on ebay.uk ... but there a LOT of them! I understand you're not being tech savvy ... it took me a while, but maybe you know someone who can check out eBay for you. Hope this helps, good luck ... and thanks again from Philadelphia PA, USA Cheers!

Hello Rainbow ... and thanks for your advice. :) I did a quick search for retailers of unbleached bamboo toilet paper in the UK ... and only found offers on ebay.uk ... but there a LOT of them! I understand you're not being tech savvy ... it took me a while, but maybe you know someone who can check out eBay for you. Hope this helps, good luck ... and thanks again from Philadelphia PA, USA Cheers!
Thanks for checking that out for me.

If anyone here in England want to give it a go... Holland & Barrett sell Coconut Oil & I can confirm that it gives instant relief.

Hi @Rainbow, Holland and Barrett is where I get my coconut oil from top-level especially when it's on offer😁 works so well.for me too.

I thought the health food shops may do unbleached loo paper by so haven't sourced it yet. Just as PhillyFibro says lots on ebay etc I'll keep looking

Cheeky Panda and Naked Sprout are two that Ocado sell? I don't use ocado but my friend does so I add a few bits into her order- anyone you know may be able to do the same?? Naked Sprout seem to sell direct to customers too. Hope you find something

Last edited:
Hi @Rainbow, Holland and Barrett is where I get my coconut oil from top-level especially when it's on offer😁 works so well.for me too.

I thought the health food shops may do unbleached loo paper by so haven't sourced it yet. Just as PhillyFibro says lots on ebay etc I'll keep looking
Thanks SBee.

I asked yesterday about Bamboo Toilet Paper in the Ripon branch of Holland & Barrett which is quite a big branch
but just got a head-shaking "No, sorry" in response.
I'd be really grateful if you'd let me know if you ever do find it anywhere in the 'real life' shopping world (what's left of it!).

Hi @Rainbow best I can find in an actual shop (!) Is Sainsbury's SuperSoft. It is classed as 'natural' in their description, though doesn't actually say unbleached, the tiny picture looks a natural colour .Maybe worth having a look if there is a store near you. Or, call a store head office to ask. (If you can speaking an actual person, and no t that many customer service teams seem to exist either...)
Happy hunting

Hi @Rainbow best I can find in an actual shop (!) Is Sainsbury's SuperSoft. It is classed as 'natural' in their description, though doesn't actually say unbleached, the tiny picture looks a natural colour .Maybe worth having a look if there is a store near you. Or, call a store head office to ask. (If you can speaking an actual person, and no t that many customer service teams seem to exist either...)
Happy hunting
Thank you SBee, I'll keep that as a reserve option but I don't have a Sainsbury's anywhere near me & not sure if I'd risk it,
as being prone to adverse chemical reactions I've been advised to use only unbleached/Bamboo so it's specifically that I need to source, though not having any success so far!

Back