dont like the new "post vote" thing and feel it is detrimental to what this forum is supposed to be about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiebaker

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2022
Country
US
State
WI
What is it with forum operators that think we need to vote for posts?
that is so totally juvenile (my post got more votes than yours) and completely unhelpful in a forum such as this.

This forum is supposed to be about helping and supporting each other - not about who gets the most votes or who posts the most.

Turn that crap off and leave it off.

everything is social media now

your value is based on how much others like what you say

Wait...did I use the right text colour for sarcasm...? Sorry. Was being snarky and supportive of your post. ;)

Wait...did I use the right text colour for sarcasm...?

Ummm.. i think the sarcasm color is this one... 😉

but yeah, have about had my fill of "social media" - I quit fb, never did do twitter, instagram or any of the others.. I see no reason to.
I do have a group on Discord - supposed to be a 3d printing group, but hey, we talk about everything but that, LOL

have been thinking about starting one for fibro, but not sure at this time.

Ummm.... @cookiebaker , I have no idea what you are talking about.

I do not see any "votes" option anywhere.
Only "like" options.

Where are you seeing this?
If you are talking about "points" or number of posts, all forums have that. I don't pay any attention to it myself, and doubt that anyone else does either, except at times it is useful to see how many times a person has posted.

You might try asking questions before posting a rant or a demand towards the forum operators. ;)
No one on this forum has ever to my knowledge said "I get more votes than you do".

it is not shown here, but where I do see it is in the main forums on the far right side of every post..
This sort of thing is NOT helpful to anyone.

1669484423766.png

And I do realize it is not you personally doing this stuff, so not pointing fingers at you.
I just do not see the point in this sort of thing on a forum like this.
Perhaps you can pass that along to your superiors? I dunno.. i just dont like it and feel like it is more detriment than help
Kind of like the "top comments" on youtube or facebook - artificially pushing certain comments to the top of the page - I dont want to see "top" comments, I want to see ALL comments in the order they were posted. And yes, I realize I have that option by selecting the "sort by date" thing - but my point is, i should not need to do that. there is NO benefit HERE to having any sort of voting going on..
If a person likes the post, they can like it, but that is different than upvoting or down voting which is what i am trying to point out here.

Strange, cookiebaker, I can't find this anywhere...
it is not shown here, but where I do see it is in the main forums on the far right side of every post..
With "main forums" do you mean like I'd've thought something like the "General discussions about fibromyalgia" forum? Can't see it there either...
I've looked in preferences if it's something that can be toggled, but it isn't.
And I've increased and decreased the size - still nothing like it to be seen.

Well, @cookiebaker , I have looked and I cannot find the thing you are talking about anywhere, like Jay.
Cannot comment on it since I cannot find it. I don't find the "sort by" button you circled either.

Please just ignore it. No point in getting upset about it.

Using words from the snip I did a search and found that it seems only on that one thread:

The voting doesn't include the original post, which gave me the solution:
It happens when a thread starter chooses to start not a "discussion", but a "poll".
You can see all the possible options for that if you go on a forum and start a thread, see the pic.
I can think of rare, but good reasons to choose this option:
the (complex) polls on healthrising prepared me for roughly how tough my body's reactions to the jabs might get, more than anecdotal comments.
(The polls for the severely ill showed I might well have 2 weeks of side effects after the 1st and 6 months after the 2nd jab. Turns out I haven't even recovered after 1 year.... )

Attachments

• Poll options.png
    Poll options.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
no, @JayCS that is not it at all..

it happens in threads that are more than 2 pages long. go find one that is 3 or 4 pages deep and you will see what I am talking about

@cookiebaker , I have looked at long threads, at the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th page and have not seen what you are talking about there either.
I suggest you just ignore it. It might go away.

Ummm.. i think the sarcasm color is this one... 😉

but yeah, have about had my fill of "social media" - I quit fb, never did do twitter, instagram or any of the others.. I see no reason to.
I do have a group on Discord - supposed to be a 3d printing group, but hey, we talk about everything but that, LOL

have been thinking about starting one for fibro, but not sure at this time.

I thin techincally *this board* would be considered 'social media'....so...heh: there is that. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
it happens in threads that are more than 2 pages long. go find one that is 3 or 4 pages deep and you will see what I am talking about
Hm... I'd already done that and didn't.... 👐
Could you post a screen shot or a link from a different thread than the first one? (Internal links are allowed.)
I'd suggest though that all threads where it happens were started by someone who clicked on "poll" instead of "discussion". And this kind of voting is not a popularity hype, like you thought, it's opinions or preferences about an issue that would be asked for by a thread starter.
Here's an example of a 9 page thread with no voting option on any of the pages...

Last edited:
I thin techincally *this board* would be considered 'social media'....so...heh: there is that. ;)
I suppose this could be considered a matter of opinion, but I do not consider forums, which are entirely anonymous, as social media, and technically I don't think they are.

One of the definitions of social media, as I understand it, is that while you can lie about who you are or make up things about your life, it is not a typically anonymous venue. Very rarely does someone have a facebook account, for instance, without using their real name. It's part of the whole culture around social media.

Forums are different, because almost all the time they use "handles" for names and are designed so that no one needs to reveal anything about who they are, let alone their name.

This is why I will frequent a forum. I do not touch any form of actual social media.

Yeah, it's difficult, but wikipedia includes forums in the list of things generally accepted as social media, whilst neither mailing lists nor zoom support groups seem to be.
They use "social networking services" for things like fa€ebook and youtube.
Much of these can also be pseudonymous and fake, whilst I have the feeling what's written here will probably be more authentic, personal, real than there, because we don't have to "pimp our image" and there's also less sense in doing so....

What is it with forum operators that think we need to vote for posts?
that is so totally juvenile (my post got more votes than yours) and completely unhelpful in a forum such as this.

This forum is supposed to be about helping and supporting each other - not about who gets the most votes or who posts the most.

Turn that crap off and leave it off.

I think you raise a good point and appreciate the feedback.

I'm going to disable this ability and leave the "discussions" as "discussion" only moving forward. Versus what's currently the option to start a thread as a "Discussion" or "Question", with Question having the voting options attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back