Fibromyalgia for years…high MCV levels in blood work anyone?

Hammmick

Good day….happy to be here! I have suffered with fibromyalgia for years as well as the dizziness associated with the flare ups. I did try the medical marijuana for the pain but find it just makes me not care about anything. Gabepentin pills do a number on my mental state so I have to keep that at a low dose…not even sure it does anything…also on cymbalta but again not sure it helps. I find this disease extremely isolating as I tend to get sick anytime I try to go out and socialize. One thing I do have consistently in my blood work is a high MCV levels even though I am on a high daily dose of Vitamin b….curious if anyone else has seen this in their blood work. Thanks so much.

Hi Hammmick, and welcome to the forum.
I can't answer your question about blood work, but I wrote a post for newcomers that has a bunch of ideas on things that you can try on your own without medication to see if they will help. check it out and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I find this disease extremely isolating as I tend to get sick anytime I try to go out and socialize. One thing I do have consistently in my blood work is a high MCV levels even though I am on a high daily dose of Vitamin b….curious if anyone else has seen this in their blood work. Thanks so much.
Hi Hammmick, and welcome from me too!

I don't have as big red blood cells as you. In fact mine are "perfect size".
As far as blood cells go, I often have too low lymphocytes or leucocytes overall (white blood cells, WBC), but not low enough that my docs worry, let alone explain anything, same with my 4-5 other bloods which are way out of range, but my docs just say yeah, that can happen.

As you know about B12 and B9 I guess you've had all the other things done like liver and thyroid checked?
And is the daily high dose of B12 with B9 enough to get those up in your blood?
And is the B12 one or all of the 3 good types or the normal one, which isn't as effective?
If not, I'd consider getting 5mg or 10mg of a good type of B12 injected, that rockets the B12 levels.
Is the MCV only slightly above the normal range, or are your docs diagnosing macrocytosis?

I manage not to feel at all isolated by keeping the stints to very short quality time, and interacting online, carefully dosed, often task-switching as needed.
I keep my socializing down to what I tolerate, which is for many types of social interaction often only 5 minutes a go and I may need to recover from that for an hour. With people I'm comfortable with I once managed a few hours by taking a half hour break every half hour. Recovering for a few days. Now it's only best friend that I can interact with for up to an hour.
However I spose I'm lucky. I don't suffer, cos wife and pets and some table tennis every day is enough for me. I spose my introverted side allows me to cope well with being alone. Today I don't feel like contact with anyone much. Always others are wanting to socialize more with me than I with them. But they are very understanding when I say: sorry, talking is hurting today. I would praps suffer if I didn't have my wife, but I'd definitely look to living with 2 or 3 others, like I've done a lot of my life.
A reason for still having good contacts with friends, family, acquaintances is probably that I don't need to moan much and have a good verve, at least for short times. And that's due to my attitude of doing what I can, accepting what I can't.
Someone with another condition asked the other day if I'm not bored not able to go to work any more. No, I will always find loads of things to do, workarounds for those I can't do anymore, always have too much.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments. I am very fortunate to have a large loving family. I was always very social and extroverted…the “party in a box” as my friends called me, I think I just need to learn how to not be that person in social settings because it is so draining. I tend to isolate because I know I can’t be “on” most days. I have been on and off disability for years but always try to go back to work with the same result…having a major flare up that can last for months. I have heard there are therapists who specialize in chronic illness so I think I will give that a try!

I did read thru this and found it very helpful thank you! Have you ever heard of anyone trying the ideal keto diet to reduce fibromyalgia symptoms? My chiropractor is swearing this has worked for several of his fibromyalgia patients so I was going to give it a try….by the way, I am not overweight so the diet would strictly be for fibromyalgia relief.

I did read thru this and found it very helpful thank you! Have you ever heard of anyone trying the ideal keto diet to reduce fibromyalgia symptoms? My chiropractor is swearing this has worked for several of his fibromyalgia patients so I was going to give it a try….by the way, I am not overweight so the diet would strictly be for fibromyalgia relief.
Lots of people have tried keto diets, veganism, paleo diets, primal diets, fruit diets.....and so on. Some people have some success with some of them some of the time.

The thing to keep in mind is that, sadly, there is NO one thing that works for everyone with fibro, not even for the majority of them. If there were such a thing we'd all be talking about it. Everyone's reactions and symptoms are different and, as I say in that post of mine, the only way to find out what works for you is to try it.

So yeah, you may find people who say this or that diet worked for them. But that has no bearing on whether or not it will work for you. If it appeals to you, try it. find out.
Keep in mind that in order to give anything like that a genuine chance you have to be 100% with it - no "cheating", and make sure that everything you eat down to the last detail fits into the plan. And then give it at least a month before you decide if it helps or not.

Unfortunately sometimes something like that helps for a while and you think you've found the answer and then it stops working. The important thing is to remember that this is a fluid thing that can change frequently and without apparent reason and you need to be ready to roll with it, refuse to get discouraged, and keep trying new or different things if what you are doing stops working.

If you do try it -- or whatever you try -- feel free to post here about it and how/whether it helps. We are all here to share experience and you never know what might help someone else.

Hi Hammmick,
Wow, today is the first time posting part of my story & I’m skipping to where I am today. I read your article about MCV with much interest, but I am not familiar with it. Do you know if it involves Edema? Right now, my biggest & worse complaint is edema all through my body with the left side of my body from head to toe constantly being swollen. I also am trying to keep my stress & anxiety calm. I will try to learn about MCV.
My doctor & I agreed to not take anymore new or any old medications. Everything that I take ends up upsetting my GERD with side effects. My doctor said, that since I am so sensitive to medication she is more worried about what the side effects are doing to my body. I took pain medication with opiods before with no problems, but opiods upset me now. The only thing I can take for pain is acetaminophen & now I’m having to increase it at times which is a no-no.

My doctor said, that since I am so sensitive to medication she is more worried about what the side effects are doing to my body.
Sensible doctor! I think anyway. (Same here.)
I took pain medication with opiods before with no problems, but opiods upset me now.
Yeah, anything that comes on top can change a lot. In my case CVD meds after the CoV-jabs triggering MCAS. But I'm finding workarounds additionally to the supps. Opiods is quite another matter, never tolerated as well as plain risky.

Hello,

I’m not sure if it’s even related these high values, but I wanted to throw it out there because my values are always at the top edge of the acceptable numbers but when I go into a flare, they go way above it. It might be coincidental but it certainly doesn’t seem to be.

High MCV I recently heard from someone with MCAS... - who was also unsure if others have it, it doesn't seem so, there or here.
(I have both MCAS and fibro, but always normal MCV.)

Back