Unexplainable Tremors - Anyone Else?

Hi everyone, one month ago I experienced hand and arm tremors that lasted for an hour. They started right after I experienced extreme nausea and dry-heaved several times but didn't vomit anything because I had an empty stomach. This was the first time I'd every vomited or even dry-heaved in two years, so it was the first time my body was experiencing that physical stress since the onset of my Fibromyalgia a year ago.

I was scared because nothing had every happened to me like this, so I saw a neurologist immediately. The tremors went away by themselves while I was at the doctor's office getting blood tests and neck x-rays. The doctor couldn't explain the tremors, especially since they went away on their own within an hour. She asked me if I was feeling emotionally distressed, which I only was after dry-heaving (a natural reaction of the body!) but my mood had been amazing for a really long time before that and I was having a great day too.

I didn't have tremors again until I got a severe flu a couple weeks later. This time I also had tremors in my legs, thighs and buttocks. It was painful and disturbed my sleep a lot. I experienced the tremors for three days each time I had to lay down to sleep. Again, this was the first time my body experienced any sort of sickness after my fibromyalgia onset.

I haven't experienced tremors since.

I saw a new neurologist today. I brought up the tremors with him, but he said such tremors are not related to fibromyalgia and since I don't have Parkinson's, nothing can explain the tremors (especially since they went away on their own and lasted short intervals) other than some subconscious stress. I strongly disagreed, assuring him that I had been at my best emotionally, spiritually and physically this year, and I have no life stressors at the moment, and that the only logical explanation could be that my fibromyalgia body experienced two new states of physical stress while sick (vomiting and severe flu) and so my nervous system went haywire. He didn't agree with that explanation.

Anyway... does anyone ever experience tremors? Are they related to fibromyalgia or not? How does your body with fibromyalgia react to sicknesses like the flu or vomiting?

Hi everyone, one month ago I experienced hand and arm tremors that lasted for an hour. They started right after I experienced extreme nausea and dry-heaved several times but didn't vomit anything because I had an empty stomach. This was the first time I'd every vomited or even dry-heaved in two years, so it was the first time my body was experiencing that physical stress since the onset of my Fibromyalgia a year ago.

I was scared because nothing had every happened to me like this, so I saw a neurologist immediately. The tremors went away by themselves while I was at the doctor's office getting blood tests and neck x-rays. The doctor couldn't explain the tremors, especially since they went away on their own within an hour. She asked me if I was feeling emotionally distressed, which I only was after dry-heaving (a natural reaction of the body!) but my mood had been amazing for a really long time before that and I was having a great day too.

I didn't have tremors again until I got a severe flu a couple weeks later. This time I also had tremors in my legs, thighs and buttocks. It was painful and disturbed my sleep a lot. I experienced the tremors for three days each time I had to lay down to sleep. Again, this was the first time my body experienced any sort of sickness after my fibromyalgia onset.

I haven't experienced tremors since.

I saw a new neurologist today. I brought up the tremors with him, but he said such tremors are not related to fibromyalgia and since I don't have Parkinson's, nothing can explain the tremors (especially since they went away on their own and lasted short intervals) other than some subconscious stress. I strongly disagreed, assuring him that I had been at my best emotionally, spiritually and physically this year, and I have no life stressors at the moment, and that the only logical explanation could be that my fibromyalgia body experienced two new states of physical stress while sick (vomiting and severe flu) and so my nervous system went haywire. He didn't agree with that explanation.

Anyway... does anyone ever experience tremors? Are they related to fibromyalgia or not? How does your body with fibromyalgia react to sicknesses like the flu or vomiting?
Hello, just wanted to say I have experienced tremors, shock like reflexes for no particular reason, full body jerking, like startled suddenly. All I can say is that whenever my body has undergone or received some emotional or physical stress (for instance you, after nausea and vomiting) even if it's just perceived on my part, I can be pretty sure I'm going to have some wierd reaction. I hope that is of some comfort. Sometimes it is, just to know somebody else has experienced it. Don't know why, but it happens. About the time I think I have it figured out what's going on with me, I'll develop a new wierd reaction, look it up, and find that oh yes, that's where it's coming from. Also, you said you saw a "new" neurologist. That right there is scary. Ya kinda got to break 'em in, lol. Unless they're knowledgeable, there still are doctors who don't understand or believe in the diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Since you did not state the he had an answer as to why you experienced the tremors, then logically he cannot be correct in stating that the tremors are NOT related to fibro. I see you just recently joined, as have I. I don't see when you were diagnosed. And I don't know what you have experienced with symptoms so far. But I know it can be unsettling when new symptoms jump on board. I'm not a doctor, I just know that's a common reaction for me. I'd take a deep breath, and give a shot at relaxing tonight and getting some more sleep, if possible. I know it's difficult, but sometimes you have to let go of what the "professionals" who haven't taken the time to educate themselves say to you. Otherwise it just erodes your self-confidence. Take care.

Hello, just wanted to say I have experienced tremors, shock like reflexes for no particular reason, full body jerking, like startled suddenly. All I can say is that whenever my body has undergone or received some emotional or physical stress (for instance you, after nausea and vomiting) even if it's just perceived on my part, I can be pretty sure I'm going to have some wierd reaction. I hope that is of some comfort. Sometimes it is, just to know somebody else has experienced it. Don't know why, but it happens. About the time I think I have it figured out what's going on with me, I'll develop a new wierd reaction, look it up, and find that oh yes, that's where it's coming from. Also, you said you saw a "new" neurologist. That right there is scary. Ya kinda got to break 'em in, lol. Unless they're knowledgeable, there still are doctors who don't understand or believe in the diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Since you did not state the he had an answer as to why you experienced the tremors, then logically he cannot be correct in stating that the tremors are NOT related to fibro. I see you just recently joined, as have I. I don't see when you were diagnosed. And I don't know what you have experienced with symptoms so far. But I know it can be unsettling when new symptoms jump on board. I'm not a doctor, I just know that's a common reaction for me. I'd take a deep breath, and give a shot at relaxing tonight and getting some more sleep, if possible. I know it's difficult, but sometimes you have to let go of what the "professionals" who haven't taken the time to educate themselves say to you. Otherwise it just erodes your self-confidence. Take care.
Thank you so much for your response! This is so comforting to hear. You did mention that you also experience such symptoms during extreme physical or emotional stress, so I'm glad it's not a permanent thing for you either. Yes, I had to see a neurologist I've never seen before because my usual neurologist wasn't available the day I went to the clinic for some help and answers. You're right, it can be difficult to explain the entire story and medical history in just one session. I started having fibromyalgia symptoms in January 2023, but I only got diagnosed in August 2024 and started medical treatment in September.

I also experience tremors from time to time. Mine usually occur in the early evening hours but can also be during the day. They manifest as pretty much an entire upper body shaking and only last a few seconds then are gone. (My daughter and I always laugh when this happens, humor helps). I have had fibromyalgia for 20+ years and pretty much have had the tremors near as long. Mine are periodic, not every day, not caused by stress, just happen. At 73, except for fibromyalgia, most people would say my health was excellent. Everything always in the good range. I don't take any medication (it all seems to make me very sick) so manage my pain on my own. So, yes, the tremors can be a symptom of this illness. Don't know if there is anything you can treat with since your's tend to last longer and finding a caring, knowledgeable doctor is difficult. I hope things get better for you.

Back