Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2022
Country
US
State
VA
My Physical Therapists suggested purchasing an infrared sauna blanket .
I’m just curious if anyone uses one and what they think .
It seems it sure can’t hurt to try it .

My Physical Therapists suggested purchasing an infrared sauna blanket .
I’m just curious if anyone uses one and what they think .
It seems it sure can’t hurt to try it .
Infrared and near-infrared light can work thru our body tissue and improve our mitochondria and also vagus nerve - many experts of functional medicine are saying that as a result of preliminary tests.

However some, like Eva Detko, describe an infrared sauna as "hormetic" (challenging), like a cold shower. That means we need to be or work up to it. Just doing it may be too much for our bodies.

I know someone with ME/CFS who bought herself an infrared sauna and it helped her a bit.
In an old forum post someone said a portable infrared sauna didn't help as much as one in the doctor's office. So a blanket might be similarly ineffective.
I don't know anyone who has used an infrared sauna blanket.

Examples of mine of similar things: I can usually cold shower for one minute. It's always a small challenge of course. But one my body is up to. It prefers one minute of cold and then warming up to a few minutes of nice warm showering and then cooling down. But most peoples' aren't.
Sauna was just as much of a challenge to me: whatever the temperature 1-2x8' was the max. Now I'm pretty sure it'd be less, but I could try, could get used to it, like I gradually got used to the sun in the summer, after it nauseated me first.
Infrared sauna I can imagine would get too much under my skin.
Blankets, esp. out of synthetics, are terrible for my skin too.
A weighted blanket I could tolerate an hour, but then it caused several intense issues, making me throw it off. After several tries it seemed I couldn't get used to it. My wife tried too, but didn't continue.

So in sum I'd say: It can hurt to try it. But your body may be up to it or can try to get used to it. Best I'd borrow one first and try it for 15 minutes. Using it in short stints will probably only hurt in short stints, or possibly not at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I’m able to tolerate my weighted blanket. In fact I really like it .I also have an infrared heating pad that I like but on days like today when I did to much yesterday and everything hurts I just went ahead and ordered the sauna blanket from the company recommended by my PT that has a 30 day trial:)

weighted blanket. In fact I really like it .I also have an infrared heating pad that I like ..... a 30 day trial
Sounds like it might be a perfect fit... and not even a financial risk. Keep us posted!

Back