Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2021
Country
US
I'm fortunate to have discovered two fibro-friendly hobbies that work for me:

(1) Amateur or "Ham" Radio.
This hobby allows me to be as social or reclusive as I want; sedentary or outdoorsy as I want; technical or non-technical as I want.
On a rough day, I can hang out at my radio desk and do my Ham thing, dialing around . On a more energetic day I may take a handheld radio along or set up something more elaborate from a picnic table. (Look up ARRL, RSGB, SOTA, QRP). You'll need to study for and obtain your license and buy or borrow some equipment. You don't need a license or study course to buy a police scanner or a shortwave receiver and just listen in to the world.

(2) Geocaching.
This hobby is about puzzle solving really. You'll need a handheld GPS/GNSS or a GPS smartphone app. The object is to locate hidden geocaches, or to create hidden geocaches. It can be as easy as a walk in a nearby park, or, more strenuous. Caches are graded by physical difficulty as well as puzzle-solving difficulty. (Look up GEOCACHING.COM). You can be as social or as solitary as you wish.

Both keep my body and mind active.

Thanks,
GRC109A

Thanks for sharing that, GRC109A!
That way you're doing things in your own pace, but keeping contact with the world in quite a variety of ways (more than two I guess).

Last edited:

GRC109A -​

Vk2mus here - mainly do digital but yes an excellent hobby for some one that has fibro - although due to pain cannot climb up to adjust the aerials any more and with essential tremor soldering is well and truly out. But I do enjoy my radio - FT897D and IC 701 and Ft8900R and an old FT101 under the desk - Vertical covers 2 m to 80m a loop cover 10,15,20 meter and a cobweb 6m to 80m still being put up - might hear you on air.

Back