hope23

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
NZ
I'd say this will be a controversial topic but I'm curious 😊

As people with Fibromyalgia I know the range and severity of the pain we experience, and the types of pain we experience, are too many to count or list.

My question is this: do you have a preference in the type or severity of pain (obviously we'd all choose no pain if it was on the table)?

What I mean is this, for me and my FM at the moment and how my symptoms are playing out i would choose to have one specific spot/area that is more severe(and everywhere else be not noticeably an issue) rather than everywhere being bad but not as severe

I hope this makes sense

How are things for you, do you have a preference, is this something you've thought about

Hi there - very interesting question.

Quite apart from fibro, I've always listened closely and empathized when people say a certain type of pain is one of the worst, but I register quite different bits of the body and always think: Oh yes, that's the worst. And that too. And that one, definitely. Lots of worst. :ROFLMAO:

I also think your question isn't theoretical, it's very practical - at least when we are confronted with a whole lot of symptoms and not much experience how to treat them yet. Cos we then can decide what may be the most important and target that first.
Now I'm much more experienced I no longer have to choose that much, I can target the 4-5 main symptoms all at the same time, maybe varied across the day. But if several new symptoms or ideas come up, which happens often, I will research each, and each will take me at least one hour, many 10 hours, some 20 or more hours. So again it'd be a matter of priority. As ever it's best for me to switch, so I'm always working on several things at the same time. Again I then don't decide for one symptom incl. pain type over another, I target them as I enjoy researching and as I see results - if I get quick results, e.g. local pain types on youtube, I do those first, because in my experience I find something quickly.

Now getting closer to your actual question: What occurs to me first is that I seem to prefer severe acute pain that ebbs inside of minutes or hours from 8 to 1 and stops after a while to chronic pain that fluctuates between 3 and 5. If causing severe pain will alleviate or even only slightly decrease my chronic pain, I'll definitely immediately choose the severe pain, without a second's doubt. I'll even choose that if the possibility exists that it might help, and also if there is a risk of it increasing the chronic pain for a while. I'm sort of built that way, sort of a belief that such an acute pain might help. But actually that's based on the experience that it often does help, if done properly.
In the past few days I've been trigger pointing my right wrist, causing a pain of about 6, which ebbs to 3 when I stop. And I'm doing this altho I hardly have any pain there, however a bit when I do certain things. So I'm actually inflicting fairly severe pain in order to prevent "invisible" local problems from getting worse, to get and keep my body fit(ter), to increase the amount and type of movements I can manage. That was also the principle of the expert ear acupressure I was getting done for a year, as it is of similar treatment types: Inflict pain that is just about tolerable, often for 5 to 10 minutes, and it will usually decrease and at the same time specially targeted parts of the body will improve. Same goes for my self-applied acupressure, hardly comes without pain.

Then closer to your example: Pain in the daytime is not much of a problem, but one severe pain, like toothache can prevent me from falling asleep more easily than many less severe pains or aches. In both cases cold showering helps, for belly ache a hot water bottle. But if it doesn't help enough, I'd prefer the many less severe pains, like Ache all over, plus a few bits 'n bobs. The last few weeks my fingertips and lips splitting were severe enough to delay sleep a little, so of course I've been targeting this. But there's another easy workaround if cold showering doesn't help: I don't try to sleep, I get up and do something nice till the acute pain ebbs or I get so tired that I can at least do Yoga Nidra well instead of sleep, the nice tinglings during that also counteracts the pains a bit.
But back to the question: One severe pain often disrupts sleep more than several moderate ones, so if that's the case I prefer those at night.

So, depends on a lot, like situations and esp. whether I'm awake vs. trying to sleep.

Ah, lots more I can say, like how facing and accepting pain reduces both one severe as well as many moderate pains, however I think in slightly different ways.... but I'll leave that now.

I LOVE how indepth you go and how you look at these things from every possible angle that exists and the analytical way you approach is fascinating.
You are so right when it comes to sleep, in which case for me my preference during the day is different to what i would prefer at night time. I am right there with you on when you cant sleep, stop trying for a bit(like a reset) do something relaxing or that you enjoy and then try again(for me this is finding a semi comfortable position in bed and either read my book for a bit or play solitaire or sudoku on my phone, a lot of people find screen time hinders getting into a sleep mode but for me it is very much the opposite.

The reason my brain went to this place is the last two weeks have been really bad(i still really havent gotten back to a somewhat state of good since july last year) and its kind of been fluctuating between my left hip being really severe(6/7 it throbs, pulses in waves) to everything hurting not as severely but just everywhere(today is an everywhere day and its making me miss it just being really really bad in my hip, the irony 🤦‍♀️)

I so get the causing pain for a short period in order to relieve pain which sounds counterintuitive but can actually be super helpful. This is actually what led me to experimenting with deep tissue massage, hurts like holy hell at the time but the relief overall is fantastic (you do need to be very choosey with who you go to as it needs to be someone who understands fm and has worked with/on others with fm)the other main benefit i find is that it relieves my muscles which are often in a state of constant scrunched tightness. Ive also been known to give my self unintentional bruises when using those muscle massage balls or the four point tripod type thing for the same purpose, for me this is the best way to get in deep enough into my SI's to get some relief.

a lot of people find screen time hinders getting into a sleep mode but for me it is very much the opposite
Yep, same for me, I keep the screen in night shift mode (no blue light) plus lowest illumination possible, and nothing else I've tried to do works as well as that, everything else wakes me up and/or stresses more. I've tried everything anyone else has recommended and none of that works.

First I try yoga nidra. If that doesn't work, a cold shower, if necessary a second try of yoga nidra and praps a hot water bottle. If that doesn't work the above, however no mucking around - out of bed, out of the bedroom, then a defined clear decision to go back and try again for 5 or 10 minutes. Otherwise I go into a sort of twilight state, which is unsatisfactory, cos I can neither get something good done, nor can I get really (over-)tired. I will not just drop off, I'll keep sort of going the whole night... This is all in accordance with the recommendations of the sleep experts Hugh Selsick and Andrew Huberman. How much blue light really plays a part for melatonin and actual sleep is still being studied, e.g. by Blume et al 2022, see "Some screen time before bedtime may, in fact, be safe for sleep". After learning from them about the role of sunlight in the morning and afternoon for our circadian rhythm, I think this may be much more important for some of us than the amount of blue light / screen time. There are "rules", but our body decides what's good and what isn't and this will change, so I'd say they're only 90% suitable for 90% of people (so not us!) 90% of the time - maybe comparable to stopping at red lights rather than to killing. I used to do fine on 2 hours of sleep some afternoons, until I'd got other things implemented, now it's fine for me like they say to get up at 8 or 9 every day, even if I've only slept 5 hours, like the other day, and make sure I don't sleep again till the evening - still my body, but so much has changed since then. And whether I use my screen in the evening is not the question, it's whether what's on the screen is "exciting" me too much or not, and I've learnt not to look in specific places.

(How/when) do you manage to make a decision to try sleeping again after a longer sleep break?

Last edited:
(How/when) do you manage to make a decision to try again?
I have been very blessed in my life to be a very good sleeper and to have the ability to sleep anywhere(including falling asleep on the couch at a party with stereo blasting) i guess for me its not a conscious planned choice/decision to try again, in fact i usually will fall asleep half through a game on my phone, if my eyelids are getting heavy and its not quite getting me there i will put an audiobook on which for me acts as white noise
Im also assisted by the level of Amitriptiline i take which is also very good at putting you to sleep, for me anyway

I have been very blessed in my life to be a very good sleeper and to have the ability to sleep anywhere(including falling asleep on the couch at a party with stereo blasting)
Ah yes, pre-fibro me too, usually. If at all 1 or 2 sleep breaks. Not once an hour, like with fibro.
I also remember as a kid I sometimes fell asleep with headphones on blasting rock music... - back in the days when music (as well as TV) "stopped" after a while.... 🎧 :LOL:

Im very lucky that this has continued for me(99% of the time) even after fibro

for me I would prefer no pain, I would prefer to be able to write properly with pen and paper, I would prefer top have eyelashes I would prefer that my nails did not split , I would prefer if I could concentrate and so on it would be nice to take a tablet and all of these things just disappear but sadly for us it will never happen. so I enjoy those rare slices of time when they are bearable

i guess since i will not be allowed to eliminate pain completely (in the spirit of the original post), I will take the dull achys over the sharp stabbies any day. the dull achys are easier to ignore.

Interesting question, although to me it's sort of like asking if I'd rather be stabbed in the leg or the arm. No thanks to any of it and nothing is preferred.

for me I would prefer no pain, I would prefer to be able to write properly with pen and paper, I would prefer top have eyelashes I would prefer that my nails did not split , I would prefer if I could concentrate and so on it would be nice to take a tablet and all of these things just disappear but sadly for us it will never happen. so I enjoy those rare slices of time when they are bearable
We would all choose this if it was an option ❤️

i guess since i will not be allowed to eliminate pain completely (in the spirit of the original post), I will take the dull achys over the sharp stabbies any day. the dull achys are easier to ignore.
I think if you can eliminate pain altogether thats amazing, its just not one of the options on my table(or hasn't been for 7 years)

Interesting question, although to me it's sort of like asking if I'd rather be stabbed in the leg or the arm. No thanks to any of it and nothing is preferred.
I can see how it could be taken that way. We would all choose neither if it was as simple as choosing, but from a realistic point of view (for myself) that hasnt been one of the options on my table for a long time

For me this was kind of a light bulb moment in that i had never thought or considered whether i preferred one type of pain over another, i just wanted no pain. Its taken me a long time to accept that no pain isnt one of the options i have, one day it may be but to function i have to accept how things are for me right now. I was sitting at my desk yesterday and found myself thinking 'man i wish it would go back to my left hip being really really bad over this everything being really bad.
It was kind of an eye opener moment for me that i had gotten to a place where i consciously had had that internal conversation of id prefer this pain over that pain.
Previously any time i had this internal conversation it was well i want no pain instead of this OBVIOUSLY 🤣

Yesterday was the first time that that internal conversation had gone differently to how it normally does and made me curious as to how others felt/thought about it

I think if you can eliminate pain altogether thats amazing, its just not one of the options on my table(or hasn't been for 7 years)
lol, i wish i could eliminate it, but like you, that has not been an option for a very long time
if it isnt one thing causing me grief, it is something else..

like i said, i can deal with the dull achy pain, but those sudden, sharp stabbing pains really suck. they are like someone stabbing me with a cherry red hot ice pick... and it is never in the same place twice in a row.. might be the meaty part of the palm one time, middle of the forearm (opposite side) the next, and maybe a finger the time after that - occasionally the feet & toes get in on the act as well.. 😖

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back