Can't Keep Up

Hi @JayCS @sunkacola @GRC109A @Tibro1029

Hello to everyone reading :) :)

I tend to find shopping not too bad, but maybe not as busy as your shops. I often shop with daughter (who hates shopping) and generally it's pretty good, but sometimes I'm just 'tagging along' as brain is just drifting and not really concentrating on anything much. These are the days she drives, as I don't trust my slow reactions.

I also find a 'big day' is best followed by a rest day, and at the moment I'm trying hard to pace myself, as I've had about 5 or 6 'big weeks' and snatching days off when I can.

Do others find they can get a bit snappy, with oneself, when the brain fog and lethargy start to impact what one is trying to get done? Just wondering if that's a fibro thing or just my personal frustration at limitations.

Do others find they can get a bit snappy, with oneself, when the brain fog and lethargy start to impact what one is trying to get done? Just wondering if that's a fibro thing or just my personal frustration at limitations.
I think it's a changeable attitude. That's one of the areas where I've quickly become lenient and kind to myself, with no expectations to manage, knowing I have a severe condition.
If ever we get impatient it's good to remember things like we can't expect others to understand us if we don't understand ourselves. Or: we aren't being a good role model for our kids. It's so difficult for many of us when we haven't got such a condition, but for me - praps due to the severity and suddenness of onset - I had to flick that switch to "off".
The brain fog itself makes it difficult to remember that the switch is off, so it's important to recognize and account for the fog. And in my experience to avoid all meds or supps that increase it, cos I then lose it, lose control over my life. Yeah, it's still "control", but no longer control over "what one is trying to get done" but control over knowing that it can't be done properly, over managing it, over putting self-care and self-kindness first, over keeping an eye on how I am.
The pareto principle (80-20 rule) can help more than ever to get things done 80% by using 20% capacity, rather than getting the last 20% with the other 80% capacity I haven't got.

Hi @JayCS @sunkacola @GRC109A @Tibro1029

Hello to everyone reading :) :)

I tend to find shopping not too bad, but maybe not as busy as your shops. I often shop with daughter (who hates shopping) and generally it's pretty good, but sometimes I'm just 'tagging along' as brain is just drifting and not really concentrating on anything much. These are the days she drives, as I don't trust my slow reactions.

I also find a 'big day' is best followed by a rest day, and at the moment I'm trying hard to pace myself, as I've had about 5 or 6 'big weeks' and snatching days off when I can.

For me, part of managing Fibro is how I manage the day before a big exertion, and the day or two afterwards. This necessity is sometimes annoying, but it is something just to accept and move on. If I am careful the day before and after a big event or exertion, it's not that bad; I can be OK the next day as long as I don't let that day be a big day also. Two or three big days in a row will mean two or three days of recovery every time. If a big day comes unexpectedly, it may take me two days to recover. I tend to become a bit irritable on some days as it goes into late afternoon, but that can me managed as well with a combination of things that work to relax me and fortunately I am rarely around people. My animals know about me and know my being irritated isn't about them. They do their best to help, and often do.

Hi @sunkacola @Eff2013 and others

I always used to try and do that, at high school, the day before a test I'd relax, usually going for a ride on my pony, just her and the dogs for company.

Later years, I'd become aware of the need to surround big days with quiet days, but near impossible with business and family constantly requiring my input. Also, it was so common to plan a day only to have it disrupted an hour in, that my parents assisted with the children and some housework, pretty much permanently.

This had up and down sides. It would help me back off a little, but hubby always saw me as being lazy if I wasn't actually "doing something". ie, did dishes, had clothes in the washer, sat down for a cuppa...he'd time it well. I got that way I'd not sit down, I'd stay on my feet. So often I'd get "all you do all day is stand around drinking. You should "this", you should have done "that", why isn't "this" done yet.." etc.

Now I understand the 'why', I am nowhere near as harsh on myself, and will tell others to back off. Separated over a decade ago, but being involved with business, has made for an interesting journey. Not necessarily fun, but I am learning lots.

Thank you @sunkacola . Your message really shows me I am doing okay and I am not slack and useless, just working with gremlins. Like pets, they need one to sit down and just relax with them so they can calm down too. (Even if it's just to recharge for the next onslaught :LOL: :LOL: )

I am so very pleased I found this site, and I recommend it often. Thank you everyone on here, it's a good place to share, support, and learn.

Hugs 🤗🤗🤗🐉🐉🐉

Back