Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2020
Country
US
State
TN
I suspected i had Fibro for years, i have been on Gabapatin since 2012 for neck and back issues, and suspect it helped some with the Fibro. When diagnosed and moved to Tn i switched to Lyrica and seems to help more then the Gabapatin.

I am a disabled Vet, and when i added Fibro as an issue, i was evaluated (CMP exam) the doc asked me some questions i was not prepared for. “What are your symptoms he asked” panicked and could not think, i missed discussing most of them… he never did any physical examination… and decided i was wrong and did not have it… yet my pain management Doc thought so, my VA primary care physician, who himself has fibromyalgia, diagnosed me with it and now this CMP examiner, who only asked questions, has the VA’s ear on deciding adding it as one of my disabilities decided that my diagnosis was wrong…. I admit i was not prepared for this exam, i thought it was going to be easy as i was already diagnosed with it, and taking meds for it… how do i fight this with the VA?

Has anyone had any similar experiences and if so where you able to reverse the VA’s decision and if so how?

I suspected i had Fibro for years, i have been on Gabapatin since 2012 for neck and back issues, and suspect it helped some with the Fibro. When diagnosed and moved to Tn i switched to Lyrica and seems to help more then the Gabapatin.

I am a disabled Vet, and when i added Fibro as an issue, i was evaluated (CMP exam) the doc asked me some questions i was not prepared for. “What are your symptoms he asked” panicked and could not think, i missed discussing most of them… he never did any physical examination… and decided i was wrong and did not have it… yet my pain management Doc thought so, my VA primary care physician, who himself has fibromyalgia, diagnosed me with it and now this CMP examiner, who only asked questions, has the VA’s ear on deciding adding it as one of my disabilities decided that my diagnosis was wrong…. I admit i was not prepared for this exam, i thought it was going to be easy as i was already diagnosed with it, and taking meds for it… how do i fight this with the VA?

Has anyone had any similar experiences and if so where you able to reverse the VA’s decision and if so how?
I am sorry to hear you are having this difficulty, and sadly I am not at all surprised. The VA, which is supposed to act in service to those who have given their service to the military, often acts against those people instead, and it is shameful.

You need a lawyer.
I suggest you do an internet search on this, and start calling people. If you cannot afford the services of the people you call (call them and ask....you never know, someone might take your case pro bono and you won't know if you don't ask), then there are other possibilities.

There is a thing called Lawyer's Referral Service. It doesn't exist everywhere, and may not where you live. But you can find out. It's a service whereby attorneys donate their time and through the referral you can get a 15 minute or so consultation with one who specializes in the area where you need help. When I used that service, the attorney was generous and gave me a half hour, plus forms I could use.

Legal Aid is another service that exists in most cities. You can call them, see if there is someone there who can assist you.

Find out if there is any service in your area that specifically helps veterans with problems they have.....any kind of problem. If, for instance, there is an organization that helps vets with housing, call them. They may know attorneys who will help you. Find these by simply searching for "assistance for veterans (fill in your town's name)"

And, just do not give up. Keep calling people. If one person says they cannot help you, ask them if by chance they have any idea who you might try next, and then call that person. Be consistently low-key, utterly polite, and say a lot of thank you; if you approach each person with total respect they will be more interested in helping. If you get frustrated, stop and wait until you are calm to make the next call. I have used this technique many times in my life, when I needed something, and for many different kinds of things. It takes incredible persistence sometimes, but doing this and just never giving up until you get help will ultimately result in your getting help.

I wish you the best of luck.

Good morning - I completely understand, I'm struggling with Social Security and getting benefits from them. My Rheumatologist has written two letters now to Social Security explaining my medical conditions, and I had to hire an attorney to help (which is highway robbery to be honest). I have had fibromyalgia for many years, but only got diagnosed about 1.5 years ago and just recently got diagnosed with seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis as well. I take quite a bit of meds just to function on a daily, but SSDI says as long as I can move my outer extremities, I should be able to work. I find it disgusting that our government programs want specific things in order to aid in someone's livelihood. If you don't say specific words or have certain conditions, they won't assist in helping. The VA is one of the worst in providing assistance to people, or general care as a whole. The VA should be here to help, but that is certainly not the case. I'm terribly sorry that you are going through all of this, I hope you will get the assistance that you need and deserve!

Thanks i am basically the same, have had it for years though only recently diagnosed. Add that to 3 bad neck disks and 3 bad in lower back, migraines, depression, anxiety…. I am on too many meds, yet still expected to work 40+ a week in a high stress job. Some days i just shut down. I am out of sick days, though should be getting more in April… i worry most about cognitive decline, i am sharp and witty as long as i can focus, i worry as there are just some things i always get wrong or struggle with… good luck with your issues, i hope you can get SSDI, i am considering it myself, but hear its tough…

Today is a bad day, i am so tired i can just keep sleeping even after 8 hours of good sleep. Listless, fatigued, pain (migraine and random like spots on my body are sensitive in general and painful to the touch… cramps, constipation, and general depression. My work is overly stressful, my anxiety over even the smallest things due is freaking me out.

I need to find a good Doctor who understands… any one know any good Doc in the Nashville (and just south)?

Thanks for the support

Mike

Hi @mikepahr

You've listed so many things I've seen others list, now would be a good time maybe if you could re-visit the doc that didn't believe you.

I'm not in America, but I mainly replied to bump this thread up to the top again in the hope someone might see it.

@JamieMarc I can see you are US, do you have any info that may help?

Back