Medical Marijuana - Any positive experience w Fibro Pain?

MrBrett

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2020
Country
US
State
TX
Hi All, I am new on here, but have had Fibro for about 3 years now. I take a daily 200MG Celebrex to manage the pain, which would make my life unmanageable without it. This morning at an urgent care for something else I saw a sign for medical marijuana and I wondered if that might help with my fibro pain and perhaps allow an alternative to the pharmaceutical I now rely on. Has anyone on here had any experience with medical marijuana and their fibro pain?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your replies.

Medical marijuana may help with fibromyalgia pain, sleep, anxiety, and depression. Talk to your doctor to see if it's right for you.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

• The type of marijuana that is most effective is still being studied.
  • The dosage and delivery method can vary depending on the individual.
  • Start with a low dose and gradually increase as needed.
  • Medical marijuana can interact with other medications, so talk to your doctor before taking it.

Hi All, I am new on here, but have had Fibro for about 3 years now. I take a daily 200MG Celebrex to manage the pain, which would make my life unmanageable without it. This morning at an urgent care for something else I saw a sign for medical marijuana and I wondered if that might help with my fibro pain and perhaps allow an alternative to the pharmaceutical I now rely on. Has anyone on here had any experience with medical marijuana and their fibro pain?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your replies.
I have been using medical cannabis for several years now, and I do find it very helpful.
My experience, which of course may be entirely different from yours, is that it works a lot better on some kinds of pain than on others.
I don't know where you live and what is available to you. Where I live, it is legal for both medical and recreational use, which makes it very easy. If you have the ability to go to a dispensary and have a one-on-one conversation with someone there who is very knowledgeable about the products they have, that is the best thing. There are so many different strains and strengths that you don't just want to buy something and try it without knowing what you are getting.

I went in to my dispensary and told them in detail exactly what I was looking for. The person I spoke to was very helpful, asked the right questions, and ended up selling me something that turned out to be just right for me. Since then, each time I go in there I have a similar experience. If you have more than one place to choose from, be sure to go to a place where someone can talk with you about your specific needs. And keep in mind that the exact strain that helped you may not be available the next time you go in to get it. (At least, that has been my experience). But you can usually find another that will do the same.

There are strains that will relax you, others that will give you energy. There are some that are far better for pain than others. And make sure you let them know whether or not you want to have a "high" from it, and to what degree, because there are strains that will ease pain without making you fall asleep or get so high you can't live a normal day.

Another thing to consider is the form you take it in. Smoking is the most common, but it's of course terrible for your health, even if all you do is a little bit. There are edibles and tinctures and drinks you can get these days, so consider all of those. Edibles will, of course, take a lot longer to take effect since they have to go through your digestive system first. Tinctures will take effects in only minutes because you hold the liquid under your tongue and it is absorbed into your mucus membranes.

I found that over time I learned exactly how much of which kind of strain, and which delivery system, was right for any given day or kind of pain. It takes experimentation but if you get results it's worth it.

Be aware that some doctors will not condone it, and you need to be careful with what you tell to whom because of that, even if the use of it is legal where you are. I have had a doctor tell me they will no longer see me as a patient because I started using cannabis.

Cannabis does not interact badly with any other medication, contrary to what @ayassresearch says above. Of course, if you are taking a medication that makes you sleepy and you take a strain of cannabis that does the same thing, it will increase the sleepiness. But there's is no known bad or dangerous drug interaction between marijuana and any other pain medication.

As for the type that is most effective "still being studied", as ayssresearch said, this is also not really true. For one thing, there is no one size fits all, and there is not ever likely to be a particular strain that works best for most people with fibromyalgia, just as there is no one thing of any other kind of treatment that works best for people with fibro. We are all different, and for some people marijuana doesn't help at all. Any "study" into this is primarily being done by individuals who are doing their own experimentation, not by the scientific research community.

Medical marijuana may help with fibromyalgia pain, sleep, anxiety, and depression. Talk to your doctor to see if it's right for you.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

• The type of marijuana that is most effective is still being studied.
  • The dosage and delivery method can vary depending on the individual.
  • Start with a low dose and gradually increase as needed.
  • Medical marijuana can interact with other medications, so talk to your doctor before taking it.
Where is it that you think this is being studied?
Dosage and delivery methods for medical cannabis vary, yes. But what do you mean "can vary with the individual"? I suppose you mean that what is effective will vary with the individual, and of course this is true, as it is with anything else.
Marijuana doesn't have any history of reacting poorly with other medications.
If you are going to make statements like this, it would be good to state the source of your information.

Talking with a doctor will not tell anyone if cannabis is right for them or not. Only trying it out will determine that.

the problem we have down here - even thro we are using it on prescription from a doctor if I am pulled up for a drug test by the police then I end up losing my licence - cannot drive while using it.

the problem we have down here - even thro we are using it on prescription from a doctor if I am pulled up for a drug test by the police then I end up losing my licence - cannot drive while using it.
yeah, and that is, in my opinion, ridiculous. And it is a real shame because people (not only those with fibro) who can be helped by it are therefore not getting the benefit of being able to try it. I find it disturbing that marijuana is not simply legal everywhere. It should be, since there is no reason for it to be otherwise. It's not magic and is not a cure-all or even appropriate for everyone, but people should at least be able to try it.

Where is it that you think this is being studied?
Ayass will be able to answer these, but to alleviate any discouragement, I'll chip in and support - that there are reviews that show a quite some research in many places. Not surprisingly.
But what do you mean "can vary with the individual"? I suppose you mean that what is effective
Seems clear to me, plus the varying contents as opposed to clearly defined meds.
Marijuana doesn't have any history of reacting poorly with other medications.
Mayoclinic names 4 groups ("possible", as ever). And I'd be surprised if it didn't.
If you are going to make statements like this, it would be good to state the source of your information.
Well that's always nice, but most of us don't, it's "good", but not necessary. I like to do so, but it's one of the things that bloats my posts.
Talking with a doctor will not tell anyone if cannabis is right for them or not. Only trying it out will determine that.
It wasn't said if it is right or not, it was about interactions, which is an important caveat.

I find it disturbing that marijuana is not simply legal everywhere
I have a major problem with marijuana - not the medical use of it but the illegal growing of it and the sale to school children - we finally moved from the farm because of the increase in illegal growing of it surrounding the farm and in the National Park after years of being shot up, stock killed, house bombed and finally threats to poison our water tanks and to burn down the farm house we finally moved. what you see as a harmless drug has a very large underlay of criminal activity. and allowing it to be grown legally will not stop the traffic of the drug to young school kids.

• Wow
Reactions: Nan
It wasn't said if it is right or not, it was about interactions, which is an important caveat.
I was responding to this, which does say "right for you" :

@sunkacola thank you for this informative response. After reading online statements that there is no evidence yet to support it's use for FB, I was about to give up, but now I am giving it new thought. Especially because there is some elevated risk in my taking Celebrex daily, since I have a history of gastrointestinal disease and it is an NSAID.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me here.

@sunkacola thank you for this informative response. After reading online statements that there is no evidence yet to support it's use for FB, I was about to give up, but now I am giving it new thought. Especially because there is some elevated risk in my taking Celebrex daily, since I have a history of gastrointestinal disease and it is an NSAID.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me here.
Of course. that's what we're here to do. :)

The main reason there's no evidence to support its use for fibro, I think, is twofold.
One is the obvious reason that everyone with fibro is different and since there is no one medication that works well for everyone or even the majority of people with fibro (just as there is, equally, no one thing that doesn't work for the majority), it would be hard to make a case that cannabis is or is not effective as a fibro treatment unless very widescale trials were conducted.

the other reason is that since it is not even legal in many places this severely restricts and research that can be done and makes widespread research essentially impossible. In the US, it is legal for medical use in some states and legal for both medical and recreational in others, but it is not federally legal. So any research would have to be done only in a state where it is legal, and that would obviously limit the testing possibilities.

To my knowledge, there are no genuine controlled scientific tests, or research trials being conducted in the US for the effectiveness of cannabis specifically on fibromyalgia. If any are actually being done, I'd love to hear about it. I wish it would become legal federally, so that this research can be conducted at a national level. If it were, perhaps fewer people would be afraid of it.

I have a major problem with marijuana - not the medical use of it but the illegal growing of it and the sale to school children - we finally moved from the farm because of the increase in illegal growing of it surrounding the farm and in the National Park after years of being shot up, stock killed, house bombed and finally threats to poison our water tanks and to burn down the farm house we finally moved. what you see as a harmless drug has a very large underlay of criminal activity. and allowing it to be grown legally will not stop the traffic of the drug to young school kids.
I wonder if making cannabis legal federally would cause that criminal element and activity to disappear. Perhaps not instantly, but I think about the time in the US when alcohol was illegal, and there was huge criminal activity as a result of that, with many people dying for various reasons, and this changed fairly quickly when it became legal again. When something is illegal, but there's a big market for it, then there will be a lot of criminals providing it to people. Make it legal, and the criminals won't have their large customer base any more.

In the states where it is legal to grow, I don't think this kind of thing you describe exists.
Your experience is horrifying, and I'm sorry it happened to you. If something like that happened to me it would probably make me resent the thing itself and not want to have anything to do with it, just because of the association.

As for traffic to young kids......well, there will always be adults who sell alcohol to kids, cigarettes to kids, illegal and legal drugs to kids, and the laws against it don't stop those people. While I firmly believe that young kids shouldn't have access to ANY drugs or to alcohol, there's a greater danger in providing alcohol, which is legal, to youth than marijuana. I don't know that legalizing marijuana would cause an increase in its use by young kids. Adults will always act irresponsibly, but in my opinion that's not reason enough to make something impossible for responsible adults to get.

I don't know that legalizing marijuana would cause an increase in its use by young kids.
a good example is down here the gov'n is hitting the smoking community very hard with taxes etc and the vaping industry is growing as fast as the smoking community is shrinking but the illegal use of vap's in under age (down to quite young ages ) is growing. We have legal farming of marijuana as well as opium (mainly in Tasmania both for medical use) but they work under very stick government rules.
But I can see our Government agreeing to allow a person suffering from pain to grow plants in his backyard.

I have been using medical cannabis for several years now, and I do find it very helpful.
My experience, which of course may be entirely different from yours, is that it works a lot better on some kinds of pain than on others.
I don't know where you live and what is available to you. Where I live, it is legal for both medical and recreational use, which makes it very easy. If you have the ability to go to a dispensary and have a one-on-one conversation with someone there who is very knowledgeable about the products they have, that is the best thing. There are so many different strains and strengths that you don't just want to buy something and try it without knowing what you are getting.

I went in to my dispensary and told them in detail exactly what I was looking for. The person I spoke to was very helpful, asked the right questions, and ended up selling me something that turned out to be just right for me. Since then, each time I go in there I have a similar experience. If you have more than one place to choose from, be sure to go to a place where someone can talk with you about your specific needs. And keep in mind that the exact strain that helped you may not be available the next time you go in to get it. (At least, that has been my experience). But you can usually find another that will do the same.

There are strains that will relax you, others that will give you energy. There are some that are far better for pain than others. And make sure you let them know whether or not you want to have a "high" from it, and to what degree, because there are strains that will ease pain without making you fall asleep or get so high you can't live a normal day.

Another thing to consider is the form you take it in. Smoking is the most common, but it's of course terrible for your health, even if all you do is a little bit. There are edibles and tinctures and drinks you can get these days, so consider all of those. Edibles will, of course, take a lot longer to take effect since they have to go through your digestive system first. Tinctures will take effects in only minutes because you hold the liquid under your tongue and it is absorbed into your mucus membranes.

I found that over time I learned exactly how much of which kind of strain, and which delivery system, was right for any given day or kind of pain. It takes experimentation but if you get results it's worth it.

Be aware that some doctors will not condone it, and you need to be careful with what you tell to whom because of that, even if the use of it is legal where you are. I have had a doctor tell me they will no longer see me as a patient because I started using cannabis.

Cannabis does not interact badly with any other medication, contrary to what @ayassresearch says above. Of course, if you are taking a medication that makes you sleepy and you take a strain of cannabis that does the same thing, it will increase the sleepiness. But there's is no known bad or dangerous drug interaction between marijuana and any other pain medication.

As for the type that is most effective "still being studied", as ayssresearch said, this is also not really true. For one thing, there is no one size fits all, and there is not ever likely to be a particular strain that works best for most people with fibromyalgia, just as there is no one thing of any other kind of treatment that works best for people with fibro. We are all different, and for some people marijuana doesn't help at all. Any "study" into this is primarily being done by individuals who are doing their own experimentation, not by the scientific research community.
I've been trying for two years to find a cannabis strain that works for me and have always struck out on finding relief. My son says I don't use enough of it, but I don't know what to use. I just ordered some HHC-O to try but have no idea if it will help. I think I'm wired backwards and thing all Fibro patients have something going on in the nervous system that's totally whacked. I wish to God someone would find that link. Can you tell me what works for you and I'll definitely post when I see what happens with the HHC-O. Wish me luck!!!

Back